Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Norvel .061 to diesel

Old 01-08-2015, 12:59 PM
Walther
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Norvel .061 to diesel

Looking for comments on converting a novel .061 to diesel. Also what is the best way to start PAW .060 with a muffler? I have no problem when I can prime the port but with the muffler on I would like an easy start.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:39 PM
steve111

NV engines have taken up where Norvel left off, and make a diesel head specifically for the 049/061. A friend of mine has one, and did an extensive write-up here: http://www.nvengines.com/index.php?o...id=29&Itemid=0

We've used this dieselised engine a lot since he wrote this, and it continues to be excellent. So much so that we hardly bother flying with the glow 061 any more, even though it's a fine engine. A few people had complaints about the machining of the diesel heads when they first came out, but hopefully they've sorted out any initial snags. I'd stil go ahead and get one, in the absence of any better alternative.

I've never run my PAW 06 with a muffler on, so can't really help with that. Can you get a couple of drops of fuel into the muffler, and rotate the model around a bit so that the fuel reaches the piston?
Old 01-08-2015, 04:43 PM
Walther

Thanks for the link; I read though that but I am think RC is there a problem with the carb when using diesel?
Old 01-08-2015, 07:14 PM
steve111

Originally Posted by Walther
Thanks for the link; I read though that but I am think RC is there a problem with the carb when using diesel?
Not that I'm aware of.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:21 AM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got one of the faulty heads from NV and I'm still waiting for a replacement...
The RJL heads are a direct drop in too though.

The priming is a lot trickier when there is a muffler on, on any engine, and it is very easy to overprime by mistake. One trick is to prime a little through the carb and then turn the engine/plane over on its side, and then flipping it in that orientation in order to get the fresh charge above the piston.

I guess one could also fairly easy make a primer tube through the muffler, like they have on the enya .11CXD diesel engine;

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0953.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	2062479  
Old 01-09-2015, 12:55 PM
AwwNaww

The last video in that thread seems to show pretty good throttle response for the R/C version. It also seems to be quiet so is a muffler really required?
Old 01-09-2015, 03:07 PM
Walther

Thanks; I could can not get the videos.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:15 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The videos are on youtube, you can do a search there directly.
I think this is the video referred to above;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR-_2Ri85nM
Personally I much prefer to have a muffler on all engines. This keeps the exhaust residues away from the model and diesel engines become very quiet too, they are very pleasant to hear and rival electric in terms of noise level. Here is a Cox Queen Bee as an example (I'm fiddling with idle setting on the radio here);

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLFfH1vQKSY
Old 01-13-2015, 10:13 AM
DaveyMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mr. Cox:

Thanks for the video on the .061 diesel conversion - very nice running engine! I've doing a diesel conversion project for the same engine, but in C/L version. I have the NV carburetor for this engine, so will convert to diesel and to the R/C version at the same time. A question: Did you make the air-bleed modification to the carburetor shown on the video?

Secondly like you, I'm interested in running my various engines with mufflers in order to reduce noise. However most are older versions produced without muffler attachments. Have you had any experience in adopting newer mufflers to older engines?

Thanks.

Davey Mo...