Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Diesel head for ASP .46

Old 03-06-2020, 04:10 PM
franchi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel head for ASP .46

I am looking for a head used to convert an ASP .46 to Diesel. These were sold in Australia a few years ago. If you have a line on one, kindly contact me.

Tia,

franchi
Old 03-10-2020, 07:37 AM
sosam117

Franchi,
The conversion of the ASP .46 to diesel is not a good idea.
Three years ago I did just that and the crank had failed at the inlet port in such a way as to make it's removal (either way) impossible without gouging the case bearing.
The rod was bent, and the piston broken, and a deep gouge had been formed in the liner inner wall.

The engine seized while the plane was flying and I had a diesel mixture of 1/3 - 1/3 - 1/3 diesel fuel mix.

Here is the link to the engine review:
Sceptre Flight

The head was made by Davis Diesel Development which has gone out of business.
Here is a website to show you how to make your own?
Make Your Own Diesel Conversion Head

Personally, I would buy an engine designed to run as a diesel engine.
I have run many converted glow to diesel engines and they don't last as long as a diesel designed engine.
I've tried converted Cox engines (contra piston failure), Irvine 20 and 40 ABC engines (con rods wore out and failed), (one) OS 4-stroke engine (Knocking like an old diesel truck)
and turned it back to a "glow" engine before I wrecked that engine, and tried some Davis Diesel head conversions on other motors.

Good luck!
sosam117
Old 03-10-2020, 08:05 AM
franchi

Default Diesel head;

Originally Posted by sosam117 View Post
Franchi,
The conversion of the ASP .46 to diesel is not a good idea.
Three years ago I did just that and the crank had failed at the inlet port in such a way as to make it's removal (either way) impossible without gouging the case bearing.
The rod was bent, and the piston broken, and a deep gouge had been formed in the liner inner wall.

The engine seized while the plane was flying and I had a diesel mixture of 1/3 - 1/3 - 1/3 diesel fuel mix.

Here is the link to the engine review:
Sceptre Flight

The head was made by Davis Diesel Development which has gone out of business.
Here is a website to show you how to make your own?
Make Your Own Diesel Conversion Head

Personally, I would buy an engine designed to run as a diesel engine.
I have run many converted glow to diesel engines and they don't last as long as a diesel designed engine.
I've tried converted Cox engines (contra piston failure), Irvine 20 and 40 ABC engines (con rods wore out and failed), (one) OS 4-stroke engine (Knocking like an old diesel truck)
and turned it back to a "glow" engine before I wrecked that engine, and tried some Davis Diesel head conversions on other motors.

Good luck!
sosam117
Hi:

Thanks for the reply.

I am looking for a Diesel head that was made by ASP to convert their engines. I read about them in Spectre engine reviews.

I too got sucked into DDD line of BS. None of his conversion heads did me any good! I have them for Fox .15,ST G21/.35 and OS FP.40. They were underpowered, used more fuel, difficult to adjust and difficult to start! My purpose built Diesels are a dream to use.

Let me know about your experiences witty DDD conversion heads. Bob Davis would tell you that it was your fault that your engines were damaged. Do you have experience with other Diesel? Good or bad. I like using Diesels for some twisted reason. Lol

Old 03-10-2020, 08:58 AM
sosam117

Franchi,
If your looking for the diesel head you will have to hope someone who purchased one and plans not to use it.

ASP went out of business. They were also the parent company to CS engines and Magnum engines.
Reason for there demise was, they were copying OS engines (exactly), Aurora Mills engines, Thunder Tiger, and other engine mfg. companies.

I had at one time (back around 2010) book marked their web page in my "favorites" clicked on it about 2 years ago and the website popped up about "cease and desists production"?
Had a whole bunch of legal stuff about copyright infringement and international case number.

As for being a diesel lover?
Yes, I do have all of the different size diesels from PAW (Progressive Aero Works)
https://www.eifflaender.com/

You can order them straight from Tony at PAW, or from Ed Carlson at Carlson Engine Imports.
Carlson has other diesel engines as well. Call him at: 602-863-1684
He has an answering machine. I have a engine list but this site will not accept it?
If you want the list email me at: [email protected]

sosam117

Old 03-31-2020, 03:02 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Here is a copy of an article that preceded the introduction by the Australian Distributor of ASP engines of purpose made diesel heads for selected first generation ASP engines.

These conversions were only offered in the Australian and New Zealand markets. The distributor, Australian Model Aerodrome (AMA), arranged for manufacture of the heads by Greg Cairns Engineering of Victoria, Australia. The conversion heads were superbly made and finished, utilising a push/pull brass contra piston lapped to fit the head. No "O" ring seal required.

The AMA conversions worked well especially on the ASP 28 and 32 engines. Shaft failures were not unknown in the 40 and 46 conversions if run over compressed.

The DDD heads use a simple "O" ring sealed contra piston in the same manner as the McCoy and OK diesels of the 1950's. They work well however primary and secondary compression seal of the intended engine for conversion must be excellent otherwise difficult or no starting and concomitant frustration will be your outcome. The late Bob Davis never offered a DDD head for any ASP engine. He did not believe they were robust enough to deal with the rigours of diesel operation. Also, many users did not understand that the carburettor of a glow engine would need to modified with a reduced choke area to offer good throttling as a diesel.

I have used DDD heads on the OS 40 FP ABC, OS 10 FP, MVVS 40 and ROYAL 40 ABC (all with modified R/C carbs) with complete success. No breaking of shafts or other issues. I choose not to use electric starters to fire up any diesel. A properly set up diesel engine in first class condition is easy to hand start. I have also used RJL/Mecoa diesel conversion heads, which I prefer.

The Irvine 20D and 40D diesels of the same era were fit for purpose if run correctly. Ron Irvine knew two stroke model engine design and turned out a fine engine. The Irvine diesels perform well if in good shape and the instructions are followed. A few mechanical failures were reported. One Irvine 20D sent to me from the US with an alleged manufacturing fault on examination had been run on poor quality commercially available diesel fuel (I won't name what brand it was so don't ask) and had suffered overheating seizure. The late David Owen, the then Australian Irvine Engines South Pacific agent, had repeated issues with this type of event from US domiciled customers. Rod little end fits were ovalled and piston fit destroyed. I repaired that engine in the mid 2000's with one of the last available Irvine 20 piston/liner sets David had in stock. It runs very well now on decent model diesel fuel without issue. I still have it. The Irvine Mills .75 and 1.3 diesels are also entirely satisfactory provided the makers fuel recommendations are followed and they are not abused.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SKM_C458_se20033113500.pdf (170.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: pdf
SKM_C458_se20033113501.pdf (170.5 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by fiery; 04-01-2020 at 12:40 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:45 AM
franchi

Hello Fiery:

Thanks for the reply!

I have no idea as to why I am addicted to Diesel engines, but I am! My flying Mate is a shrink but he refuses to see addiction cases as he can not cure them! Lol It makes little sense to indulge in the Diesel as ether is almost impossible to obtain here in the States. Handguns, I can purchase anywhere!!!!! Back in the 80's, I had a free and unending supply of ether. The good old days!

A flying mate of mine is also a Diesel fan brought out his ED Racer that he had bought new in the 50's to fly. He filled the tank with some home brew fuel, chocked the engine twice and it started on the 6th flip!!!! After flying for 30 minutes, he dumped the plane into the grass as his arm had become tired. He had a 9-6 wooden prop on this engine and I guess the rpm was about 7000. It flew perfectly!

As of now, I have a Tom Tom with a MVVS D7 2.5cc in it and it flies very well. I also have an OS FP .40 with a DDD head on it on a large 48" WS stunter that flies very well. These I bring out in the warmer weather. I tried a ST G20/.15D on a Flite Streak but it just does not have enough power to do the pattern. Sweet engine but it needs a smaller airplane.

Be well,

Frank McCune