Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

McCoy 09

Old 03-10-2021, 12:08 PM
Vekenti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default McCoy 09

Hello.

I've been interested in diesel ever since I started flying RC, about 2 years now. The sound of a diesel is very unique, and I finally found a decent deal on an engine.

The engine is a McCoy 09. It has been modded with an OS Pet throttle Carb. From pictures it seems like a messy modification. I haven't received the engine yet, and from ebay it's either going to be a win or lose. Worst case I'm out $50 and have a drawer queen . I'll have to update this thread when I get it and hopefully get it running!

Was wondering if anyone knew how to disassemble this engine? I can't seem to find much info on it which is surprising seeing how popular they are. I like to completely disassemble every used engine I buy to completely clean and oil the internals.

In my part of florida seems like there isn't any john deere dealerships. I searched every single store that sells starting fluid and finally found a starting fluid that contains between 30-50% ether. This should be adequate for diesel fuel correct? What mix should I use for this little mccoy? I prefer longevity over power of course, and smell doesn't bother me. Hell my car already reeks of gasoline.

Thanks

Old 03-14-2021, 03:05 AM
qazimoto
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vekenti View Post
Hello.

I've been interested in diesel ever since I started flying RC, about 2 years now. The sound of a diesel is very unique, and I finally found a decent deal on an engine.

The engine is a McCoy 09. It has been modded with an OS Pet throttle Carb. From pictures it seems like a messy modification. I haven't received the engine yet, and from ebay it's either going to be a win or lose. Worst case I'm out $50 and have a drawer queen . I'll have to update this thread when I get it and hopefully get it running!

Was wondering if anyone knew how to disassemble this engine? I can't seem to find much info on it which is surprising seeing how popular they are. I like to completely disassemble every used engine I buy to completely clean and oil the internals.

In my part of florida seems like there isn't any john deere dealerships. I searched every single store that sells starting fluid and finally found a starting fluid that contains between 30-50% ether. This should be adequate for diesel fuel correct? What mix should I use for this little mccoy? I prefer longevity over power of course, and smell doesn't bother me. Hell my car already reeks of gasoline.

Thanks

Possibly not a good place to start a journey into the model diesel engine experience. A new PAW 09 would be my choice. The engine is likely to be at least +65 Y/O, and it has a rather vulnerable O-ring in the contra piston. I have a few of the OK and McCoy small diesels, and I'm happy with them. However they are a bit of a nightmare to dissemble at their age, and you will need a "strap-wrench" (try google). I ruined a cylinder trying to disassemble a 70 y/o OK diesel which had a very soft exhaust pillars. Rather I'd soak it in a jar of Kero instead, and then oil up the O-ring by squirting Auto Transmission Fluid into the head via the exhaust. If it will hold compression (after washing the ATF out) then try to start it by all means. Have a look at the attached link for more information. Some people here have had success with the John Deer fluid, but I'd be very wary of stuff with less Ether. Remember 50% Ether means another 50% of some other hydro-carbon, which may not like running in a diesel. They run best with genuine solvent grade Di-Ethyl-Ether. Anyway good luck!

The McCoy Diesels (Adrian Duncan review)

Last edited by qazimoto; 03-14-2021 at 05:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Vekenti (03-14-2021)
Old 03-14-2021, 11:42 AM
Vekenti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by qazimoto View Post
Possibly not a good place to start a journey into the model diesel engine experience. A new PAW 09 would be my choice. The engine is likely to be at least +65 Y/O, and it has a rather vulnerable O-ring in the contra piston. I have a few of the OK and McCoy small diesels, and I'm happy with them. However they are a bit of a nightmare to dissemble at their age, and you will need a "strap-wrench" (try google). I ruined a cylinder trying to disassemble a 70 y/o OK diesel which had a very soft exhaust pillars. Rather I'd soak it in a jar of Kero instead, and then oil up the O-ring by squirting Auto Transmission Fluid into the head via the exhaust. If it will hold compression (after washing the ATF out) then try to start it by all means. Have a look at the attached link for more information. Some people here have had success with the John Deer fluid, but I'd be very wary of stuff with less Ether. Remember 50% Ether means another 50% of some other hydro-carbon, which may not like running in a diesel. They run best with genuine solvent grade Di-Ethyl-Ether. Anyway good luck!
I have received the engine and I figured out that the engine head (the part they call the muff I guess?) screws off. I used 2 soft pieces of balsa and a bench vise and just enough pressure to hold on to the head while I screwed it off. No damage to the coating, although I can see where this method could cause the fins to break or worse damage, I didn't have a strap wrench around. The piston and cylinder looked really clean. Very light carbon build-up on the top of the piston. The crankshaft, case, and head all look really clean and the red is still nice and bright red. The contra piston is a little stiff but moves smoothly, and the O-ring looks like it was recently replaced. I'm not sure how well compression shows the age of diesels, but completely removing the compression screw the engine still has a nice pop to it.

As for the fuel. The starting fluid I chose has 40-70% Heptane, 30-50% Ethyl Ether, and 5-10% Carbon Dioxide. I have been told that Heptane can be treated as Kerosene in the fuel mix, and should be safe. I plan on starting off with 38% Kero, 30% Castor, 30% Ether, and 2% Cetane Improver. Too little Ether will cause issues in the engine, so would it be a good idea to include a little more Ether in the mix?

I'm not really looking for power out of this engine even though I heard these McCoys are real powerhouses. This is an engine to learn on to see what Diesel is all about. I plan on dropping it into my 15 size cub. Should pull it along just fine I think. If not I will build a new model based around just this engine.

Old 03-14-2021, 01:59 PM
qazimoto
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vekenti View Post
I have received the engine and I figured out that the engine head (the part they call the muff I guess?) screws off. I used 2 soft pieces of balsa and a bench vise and just enough pressure to hold on to the head while I screwed it off. No damage to the coating, although I can see where this method could cause the fins to break or worse damage, I didn't have a strap wrench around. The piston and cylinder looked really clean. Very light carbon build-up on the top of the piston. The crankshaft, case, and head all look really clean and the red is still nice and bright red. The contra piston is a little stiff but moves smoothly, and the O-ring looks like it was recently replaced. I'm not sure how well compression shows the age of diesels, but completely removing the compression screw the engine still has a nice pop to it.

As for the fuel. The starting fluid I chose has 40-70% Heptane, 30-50% Ethyl Ether, and 5-10% Carbon Dioxide. I have been told that Heptane can be treated as Kerosene in the fuel mix, and should be safe. I plan on starting off with 38% Kero, 30% Castor, 30% Ether, and 2% Cetane Improver. Too little Ether will cause issues in the engine, so would it be a good idea to include a little more Ether in the mix?

I'm not really looking for power out of this engine even though I heard these McCoys are real powerhouses. This is an engine to learn on to see what Diesel is all about. I plan on dropping it into my 15 size cub. Should pull it along just fine I think. If not I will build a new model based around just this engine.
OK sounds like you have the deal under control. Certainly too little Ether or lack of a DII will cause problems. I don't know if I'd consider the McCoy as a powerhouse. Diesels have moved on a lot since 1954, and there's a lot of McCoy 09's sitting around with broken crankpins :-). I've attached some pics of my homemade strap spanner. Good luck.

Last edited by qazimoto; 03-14-2021 at 02:57 PM.