Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Servicing unused diesels

Old 09-30-2021, 11:15 PM
serendpt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servicing unused diesels

Several years ago I had bought a few Sharma diesels (1.5cc and 3.2cc) just for the heck of it. I didn't think I'd be able to get them to run as we don't have access to model diesel fuel or the raw materials to make my own. Now that I've found a local source for ether based starting fuel I'm thinking of getting these babies going. Unfortunately I didn't store them properly and they appear to be seized. Any suggestions on how I should go about un-seizing them and getting them ready to try and start?
Old 10-01-2021, 03:19 AM
qazimoto
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by serendpt View Post
Several years ago I had bought a few Sharma diesels (1.5cc and 3.2cc) just for the heck of it. I didn't think I'd be able to get them to run as we don't have access to model diesel fuel or the raw materials to make my own. Now that I've found a local source for ether based starting fuel I'm thinking of getting these babies going. Unfortunately I didn't store them properly and they appear to be seized. Any suggestions on how I should go about un-seizing them and getting them ready to try and start?

Quite a normal thing to happen to diesels. Lots of ways to unstick them. I'm assuming that they're not ball bearing engines. Usually heat works best, but don't get them too hot. You could stick then one at a time in a pot of water and boil it. Some people stick detergent in the water and then boil it. Others use a hot air blower like a hair dryer or paint stripper to heat it. Again don't get it too hot. About 100 degrees C is just fine. Get some kitchen mittens. Mount an old prop on it and begin rocking it gently too and fro. Squirt some Auto Transmission Fluid (aka ATF) into the intake and exhaust, and continue gently rocking the prop. They'll soon break free. Otherwise repeat until they do so. From then on use ATF to lubricate.

Last edited by qazimoto; 10-01-2021 at 03:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
serendpt (10-03-2021)
Old 10-01-2021, 04:51 AM
Stuntguy13

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

S,
What has worked for me is to first clean them off with a solvent, then give a dose of something like WD40, let it sit a while. Put a big prop on it, take a heat gun and slowly heat the case then the upper cylinder (wear gloves). Gently start to turn the prop, don't force it, Keep heating and twisting, get the heat to all parts of the engine. It will after 20 mins or so of heating start to move then will get loser. If this fails you can do the crochet pot / antifreeze soak for a few days then do the heat again.

Best, DennisT
The following users liked this post:
serendpt (10-03-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 10:24 AM
serendpt

Thanks for the advice, I'll give them a whirl over the coming week. Hopefully I'll get these running soon and will find a decent model to put them in.
Old 10-05-2021, 12:28 AM
atesus
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the advice, I'll give them a whirl over the coming week. Hopefully I'll get these running soon and will find a decent model to put them in.
I let the engine sit in fresh nitro fuel overnight. Afterwards I mount a prop and heat it up using a heat gun (hair dryer set to high also works). Gently rocking the prop slowly unseizes the engine. Once unseized, I put it in the same nitro fuel bath again overnight, for good measure. Looking at the amount of gunk which settles at the bottom of the nitro fuel bath, I can see that this is a quite effective cleanup procedure. Good luck!