Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

diesel compression

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 03:28 PM
rclooney

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diesel compression

what is the adjuster for. i know it increases/decreases the compression but why? i am just going to get my old diesel running, but i need to know how to use the thing. dont tell me about how to start it. just fill up the tank, prome it and turn it over.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:03 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: diesel compression

The compression adjustment not only adjusts the compression but also the timing by controlling when ignition occurs. You want to run the least compression that will get you a smooth run and as lean as you can without burping, called the safety miss.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:59 PM
maxtenet

Read This for explanation.

http://www.carlsonengineimports.com/...eselinfo.shtml

Max
Old 10-09-2003, 09:00 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have gotten good advice. Actual running compression is similar to glowplug, if you are familiar with that. You may have to compress it a little more to get it to start. Be careful with your prime, a diesel will flood much easier than a similar gowplug engine. You will need to fiddle with both compression and needlevalve to learn what is going on. Basically riching the needlevalve increases compression and leaning the needlevalve decreases compression. If the exhaust is black, you are overcompressed.

Have fun! Jim
Old 10-09-2003, 09:39 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Also, running in an overcompressed state is like running a glow engine with preignition (detonation) which is hard on the rod and crank. Basically if it is overcompressed your engine life will be short.

Once the compression is set for a particular fuel you can leave it alone, or just to start need to either back it off or turn it down a bit (like less than a turn).

AJC
Old 10-10-2003, 03:33 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

rclooney,
When your diesel starts and you get it running smoothly, occasionally decrease compression until it starts running less smoothly, then up the compression until it smooths out. By "sneaking up" on the final setting from the lower compression setting you will not over compress. It takes most diesels two or three minutes to warm up and as it warms up you need less compression. All this is in the Carlson information but it is easy to overlook something.
By the way, what "old diesel" are you going to run? Is it already broken-in?

George
Old 10-10-2003, 06:23 AM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

When I run my diesels I start them, then let it run for 15 to 30 seconds after tuning, then like GCB said it will start sounding a bit rough as it warms up, then before you launch do a final set on the compression and youre ready to go. It may sound a bit more complicated but it really isnt once you get used to it.

AJC
Old 10-10-2003, 05:17 PM
rclooney

Im not using it in plane. It's going in a huge rc hovercraft. I'm using it to create lift, and run an alternator for the batteries. Thats why im usind a diesel. No glow clip to fiddle with. just spin the BIG fan and away.