Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

General Questions on Diesel use

Old 02-23-2004, 02:36 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General Questions on Diesel use

I have a Robin Hood 80 I just acquired that originally had a gas engine on it. Over the years I have also acquired a Davis Diesel conversion head for a Fox 74 which I also have. Im thinking this would be a perfect use for the fox/diesel for relaxing flying. A couple of questions. Is it possible to mount a diesel inverted? I ask as this is how the cowl is currently set, inverted engine. Also in reading this forum I see where several people use scented fuel to eleminate the odor, Where does one get said fuel and what is the difference between it and Davis diesel fuel?
Also does anyone have any experience with using the Fox 74 as a conversion project?
Old 02-23-2004, 04:50 PM
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: General Questions on Diesel use

I have the Fox .74 conversion, I run a 12x8 three blade on it whch it used to turn at 9,000 rpm but after several additional hours it now turns it a 9,500. I suspect a 14x6 would be a good choice for what you're using it for. Inverted is no problem if you're careful not to flood it.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All you diesel users out there.....what are your favorite brands of props to use on diesels? I was advised that the gray Graupner props were excellent, but I can't find a source for them locally or via mail order.

Next question....I see that many of you mention the rpm your engines turn on a given prop. Where do you find a reliable, accurate tachometer? Any favorite makes and models?

Thanks!

Ron
Old 05-06-2004, 06:57 PM
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

"www.hobby-lobby.com" has the props, I like the Graupners for their wide blades and cool looks. Tower has several Tachs.
Old 05-06-2004, 06:58 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hobby lobby has a full line of Graupner props as far as tachs hanger 9
anderson hobby, cermark are all fine and sure others are too run between
30 and 35$ and should be switchable for 2,3 or 4 blade props as long
as 2 or 3 blade ok some do not read 4 blade but just divide by 2 on the 2 blade setting to get rpm
Old 05-06-2004, 10:46 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want a serious tach, TNC is the only way to go. Costs about $!00.00 though. Accurate within about 5 RPM and can be used in daylight.

George