Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Irvine 40 diesel alive and well???

Old 03-27-2004, 11:11 AM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Irvine 40 diesel alive and well???

I picked up a post on the glow site concerning enya 4 stk glows at sheldon hobbys
(which looked like some good deals ex 40 4 strk $129) on going thru their engine listing
under Irvine engines the Q40 shows up for $110 if this is the orginal it is the same as the irvine
40 diesel I believe except for the head so the irvine 40 diesel head or davis head will fit
maybe worth a phone call??
Old 03-27-2004, 12:28 PM
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: Irvine 40 diesel alive and well???

You would have to make a call and see, they have a lot of stuff listed that they sold out of years ago.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:23 PM
AMB

Hobbsy, I called and they do indeed have them , The chap who answered the phone at Sheldons
said a number of years ago Altech marketing had Irvine and Sheldons bought up their remaining stock. Now the local HS has some OS46FXs which are $104 (he also has the AXs
which are the new ones with that funny square muffler and a 4 bolt head which does not
leave me impressed). So we can dieselize the40 irvine Q40 or the OS46FX sort of leaning
towards the OS46 which Im sure has a little more umph. the only question I have is the
reliability of the FX with the liner thing over the years (which may have been user induced
by lean runs) Anybody have any thoughts??. never a problem with any of my irvines from the
old 40 diesels thru the new mark lll 46s and 53s
Also thru just engines a new irvine 46 is about $107 or 53 $122 so the prices are really pretty
close
Old 03-28-2004, 08:00 AM
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks, Martin, I know where my next engine is now.
Old 03-28-2004, 02:22 PM

Martin,

The peeling liners OS engines are prone to get, are not necessarily user induced.

The nickel plating, even the newer versions with the copper flash coat, is not as strong as chromium plating.

Even Webra, which is better made, suffers from this due to its nickel plating.

You would have to do much more (make more/worse mistakes) to cause this to happen with a true ABC setup.

The reason is ultimate cost.
Dealing with the waste products associated with chromium plating costs more than with electroless nickel plating.

ABC is obviously more idiot proof than ABN.

Non-ringed Irvines are all true ABC, as far as I know.
Old 03-28-2004, 03:09 PM
AMB

Point well taken Dar,Irvine and MVVS never had the problem.
In the "keep it simple dept"
This is another reason like my diesels besides fuel economy and torque
No glow plugs, wires , batteries ,fuel changes,vary the head shims
This is all I need and not that often (Elklin T handles have 3/16 an 5/32}
nice and long beats the little allen wrenchs really stay clear of the prop
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95531.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	116261  
Old 03-29-2004, 08:31 PM
AMB

Well looks like 2 new irvine 40 diesels on the way picked up the last 2
Q40 irvines from Sheldons hobby (one Hobbsy is taking) and Davis is
making a couple of heads (Q40 and irvine 40 diesel same case, liner
and piston)
Old 04-19-2004, 06:27 PM
AMB

Reran my irvine 40 glow converison today this is not this is not the Q40glow/irvine diesel it has a bore 030 greater but AJ made a head for it finally turned 9800-9900 on top flite 12-6 this is about about 400-500 rpm better the the irvine stock 40 diesel (Q40)
with the same prop
Old 04-19-2004, 09:43 PM
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: DarZeelon

Martin,

The peeling liners OS engines are prone to get, are not necessarily user induced.

The nickel plating, even the newer versions with the copper flash coat, is not as strong as chromium plating.

Even Webra, which is better made, suffers from this due to its nickel plating.

You would have to do much more (make more/worse mistakes) to cause this to happen with a true ABC setup.

The reason is ultimate cost.
Dealing with the waste products associated with chromium plating costs more than with electroless nickel plating.

ABC is obviously more idiot proof than ABN.

Non-ringed Irvines are all true ABC, as far as I know.

For what it's worth I have never had any problem with peeling liners with any of the OS motors run as a diesel,
I attribute this to lower operating temperature and a better lubricant then what is generally used in the average RC fuel.
I certainly cannot say that the motors were ever less loaded then their glow counterparts so that is not part of the equation as to why the liners peeled. If I were forced to make a statement I would probably have to go out on a limb and say that much of the newer formulas for the RC community are sadly lacking in one ingredient, an adaquate or sufficient lubricant.
Fuel has to be formulated for the lowest common denominator, I.E. the rank beginner who leans his motor, the pseudo expert who overleans his motor , and everyone in between. Sadly in my opinion this has not been achieved in the competative fuel market. my remarks are only for the U.S Domestic mnarket as I have no idea what is available worldwide.
In controlline the LA/OS series of motors are highly regarded, In spite of the perception in the R.C. communityI.e a cheaply made, inferior, throwaway motor. Principally because of the rpm range and the lubricant package that most CL flyers adhere to it is not uncommon to have years of satisfactory service from most of the motors thet we use. In case any RC flyer would think that the requirements of a competative c/L flyer are not as stringent as the typical RC'r I would also ask you to consider that if gotten off with a bad[lean setting]they are stuck with it for the duration of the run. It really has to be the lubrication and nothing else that is preventing the problems associated with OS motors.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:46 PM
AMB

Dennis total agreement on the fuel thing I add 3% castor to my glow fuel.As far as OS LAs they make a great diesel conversion on the 40 and 46 will last forever (well almost) kero a lube and they run cooler as diesels this follows thru on any conversion.Of course a lean
burn will take out the liner but guys who did it all right lost them too