Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Everything Diesel
 Diesel conversions and baffle piston engines >

Diesel conversions and baffle piston engines

Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Diesel conversions and baffle piston engines

Old 04-17-2004, 10:36 AM
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel conversions and baffle piston engines

Does anyone have any experience with converting the older baffle style engines to diesel?
Old 04-17-2004, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Diesel conversions and baffle piston engines

ORIGINAL: Kimhoff
Does anyone have any experience with converting the older baffle style engines to diesel?
I am not sure this word "baffle", But may be you mean deflector at piston, it is not possible to convert to dieselengine. Piston shall be plain or conical. Original dieselengine has conical piston and mostly converted engines has plain piston.

Jens Eirik
Old 04-17-2004, 10:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand that the purpose-made OS 2.5cc diesel has a baffled piston. The contrapiston is said to be pinned. I've not seen one of these engines.

Jim
Old 04-21-2004, 11:32 AM

Here's mine, an Enya .19 conversion. I machined off the baffle, then spun the cylinder a few degrees and drilled a boost port aiming upwards and toward the bypass (very similar to the O.S. LA porting). It is extremely easy to start yet powerful and one of my favorite diesel conversions as it idles beautifully!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27582.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	124812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60067.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	124813  
Old 04-21-2004, 03:37 PM
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

No matter what someone says cannot be done, it will be done by another someone, very nice Max.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:04 PM
My Feedback: (22)

Max,

Can you tell me what turning the sleeve did for you? Did you make a port on both sides of the engine? Where did you get the head? I want to do this on a fox eagle 60. Do you have any pictures of the poritng?

Thanks
Old 04-21-2004, 09:17 PM
My Feedback: (10)

I also converted a Fox .35 stunt by removing the baffle... BUT - the piston top got pounded down (concave) and froze up the engine [X(]

Make sure the piston is strong enough to take the running without the baffle, ie, it has to have a decent thickness top..

But yes, it can be done.

AJC
Old 04-21-2004, 11:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The baffle are a part of reinforcement at piston top, therefore the piston top got pounded down (concave) and froze up the engine. Some can be thinner and some thicker in the piston top.

Jens Eirik
Old 04-22-2004, 02:46 PM

Turning the sleeve opened the new port to the bypass passage on the crankcase. This reduced the size of the original bypass port and exhaust port. The exhaust could be milled to original size but this is unnecessary. There is only one new port to the left of the old one as you look into the exhaust. As for the head, I made it myself on a lathe and anodized it black.

Max
Old 04-22-2004, 11:01 PM

It seems to me that you could make a head with a small contrapiston offset to one side to clear the baffle. If I were to decide I really wanted to do it, I would do what some of the South African guys do. Run the engine on diesel fuel with a glowplug head, and vary head gasket thickness as needed for adjustment. As the late George Aldrich remarked, "Taking a head off an engine and changing gaskets is not brain surgery." Given how little change in compression I make once an engine is 'set' I don't think it would be a problem. ( I do find that the proper compression gradually decreases with long-term running time. Carbon build up , maybe?)

Jim