Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Salvaging old fuel.

Old 04-22-2004, 11:39 AM
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Salvaging old fuel.

I appreciate everyone's help with tuning my ST .46 on my other post "First Diesel Experience".

I used a quart of fuel "dialing in" and testing my engine and was very pleased. I then started using fuel from the original gallon can that was 3/4 full. The engine became hard to start and demands to be over compressed and makes a total mess. Both cans have been stored together for about 2 years with every precaution taken to preserve them.

My guess would still have to be that the second can has lost part of the Ether. If so, is it possible to restore the Ether into the mix? How would I determine how much to use and where should I buy it? Can you salvage old fuel or would it be best to forget it and order a new can from Davis Diesel?

Thanks and take care, Cliff
Old 04-22-2004, 03:18 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Salvaging old fuel.

If you have a john deere near you; go there and buy some starting fluid there, its 80% ether. I've also used small amounts of peak and heet starting fluids w/ no noticeable ill effects, but JD seems to be the favorite. As far as how much to add, that would tend to seem like a trial and error situation. I would isolate a small amount of the flat gallon in a squeeze bulb (or somthing clear to see the fuel level inside) figue out how much fuel you have in the bulb and add small increments of ether to it. Then apply the percentages you figured for the small bulb to the gallon. Or you could of course just spruce the fuel when you need it, rather than trying to add to the whole gallon.