Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Maloney 125 Lurker

Old 04-06-2005, 02:28 PM
HD21A
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maloney 125 Lurker

Found this group several months ago after an Internet Search on the Maloney 125. Bought this engine last fall, in box and never in a plane, test ran once and engine kept oiled, no manual, cheap. The idea was to try a gas engine. First how many cu. inch is it, what size prop and what type of muffler should I look for? I saw an Ebay add of a 16 Lb Citabra with this engine so I figured it would handle a Giant Super Decathlon which I have yet to build. On the diesel side, what does it take to change it over. Have looked thru the Davis Desiel site and didn't see any info on it. Since I keep diesel here on the farm for tractors, combines, and the dozers, I figured cheap flying, but I have learned since it takes a special blend. I also have a Super Tiger 3000 new in box bought last summer which I see in the Davis Diesel can be changed to diesel. Need some ideas. Also Hobbsy where do you live in W Va? I live in Southern Ohio at Chillicothe. Bob

Old 04-06-2005, 07:27 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Maloney 125 Lurker

HD21 A the last time I talked to Hobbsy a few days ago he thought Davis has an other
maloney head you will have to call Davis Hobbsy is out of town in Western Pa due to the
passing away of his father 2 days a go martin
Old 04-06-2005, 07:45 PM
HD21A

Thanks Dan. There is no hurry
on the Maloney. Thought I would start gathering info and ideas. The diesel seems interesting for no one here in this Club of 50 fliers has one. If you mention the word people think of the Drones which I remember from the U-control days of the 50s. From a forum search I saw that Hobbsy and another member had Maloney engines and I thought learn so info about them. Bob
Old 09-11-2009, 09:14 PM
flyoz
My Feedback: (7)

Hi mate its about 20cc turns a 15X8 prop try this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422007
Old 09-12-2009, 10:33 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bob,

If I remember correctly, Mr. Maloney's first name was John. He formed World Engines many years ago. It was originally in Warren, OH, then he moved to Cincinnati, OH (~1958).

He decided to try his hand at sparkies and the Maloney 125 was the result. BTW, I think the 125 means 1.25 ci. That was ideal for the large size RC planes flown ar the time.

George
Old 09-12-2009, 06:31 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Exactly right George, it was preceded by the 1.00, I have two of the 1.25s but only one Diesel head.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:21 AM
lildiesel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: gcb

Bob,

If I remember correctly, Mr. Maloney's first name was John. He formed World Engines many years ago. It was originally in Warren, OH, then he moved to Cincinnati, OH (~1958).

He decided to try his hand at sparkies and the Maloney 125 was the result. BTW, I think the 125 means 1.25 ci. That was ideal for the large size RC planes flown ar the time.

George

I remember World Engines from my childhood. I'm not sure how the deal was set up, but World Engines either ran or supplied the hobby counter at a small local Cincinnati department store chain called Swallen's. The great thing about going to Swallen's was the counter had more kits in stock than any hobby shop I could bicycle to back then. Any time my dad wanted to go to Swallen's automotive counter I'd tag along just to snag a rubber FF kit and dream about the RC gear, planes, and the wide variety of non Cox engines on display.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:58 AM
Hobbsy

The engines were made in Korea, some had out of round rings and took forever to wear in and seal. The engines were just about impossible to wear out. A typical 1.00 would turn a 14x8 at 7,000 to 7,200 and the 1.25 would turn a 15x8 at 7,200 to 7,300. They were very frugal on gasoline, their only hang up was their weight. When converted to Diesel operation the heavy flywheel could be removed. There were no bushings in them, all roller or ball bearings.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:08 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: lildiesel
...I remember World Engines from my childhood. I'm not sure how the deal was set up, but World Engines either ran or supplied the hobby counter at a small local Cincinnati department store chain called Swallen's...
I believe they were both wholesale and retail. I got foreign engines from my LHS, but the boxes were from WE. The early ones were sold from Warren, OH.
My LHS at the time (mid fifties) was Joyner's Bicycle Shop in Lexington, KY. Got some neat engines during that time...OS, ST, Webra, FROG...

I THINK World Engines was sold and became Indy RC when Mr. Maloney died. Not absolutely sure.

At one time, WE was the sole importer of Super Tigre.

George
Old 09-15-2009, 10:12 AM
Hobbsy

George, I remember a time when just about every Model Mag. had a World Engines ad. on the back cover.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:02 PM
HD21A

Hobbsy I asked a question about this engine in 2005 and have been getting e-mails from RCuniverse that it is still being discussed. I have one that has only been ran one time and I think I might pull it out of the box and think about a solid state ignition system . As you said, the fly wheel and coil are a lot of weight, Solid state would lighten it up. Have several 1/4 scale plane that it would work on. Will make this a winter project. Bob Chillicothe, Ohio
Old 09-16-2009, 07:43 AM
Hobbsy

Yep, if you could put a Rare Earth magnet, (available at Radio Shack), in the prop driver and make your own bracket for the Hall effect sensor, set the timing at 28 btc you'd have a winner.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:16 AM
HD21A

Have a local that has done 3 weedeater enginges that way, will give him a project to do. Bob
Old 09-21-2009, 07:24 PM
flyoz

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

Yep, if you could put a Rare Earth magnet, (available at Radio Shack), in the prop driver and make your own bracket for the Hall effect sensor, set the timing at 28 btc you'd have a winner.
Hi Hobbsy. Couple od dumb questions if I may?
How do you tune to get 28 Deg BTC? is it done by moving the magnet or pickup?
Any idea where to get an electronic ignition circuit?
Old 09-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Hobbsy

Make your self a degree wheel, a childs protractor works very well for this, put the crank shaft at tdc and mark 28 degrees BTC on the prop driver, CCW from TDC. I'll get the website for CH Electronics in Riverton, Wyo. You can make a bracket to hold the Hall effect sensor at the 28 degree mark or use the flywheel magnets and make a bracket that will hold the sensor at the 28 degree mark on the back. If you use the magnet on the flywheel just sweep the Hall Effect sensor over the magnet to find the trigger point and you will come very close to right on on the first try.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:27 PM
flyoz

Thanks Hobbsy I also lucked out and found this how too video for anyone else interested.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBXFpxWg7vY