Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

irvine 40 run not good

Old 05-14-2005, 10:03 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default irvine 40 run not good

On Wed decided to run one of the irvine 40 diesels with an MVVS muffler and a graupner 12x6 prop we got up to about 9500 when my dog stuck his cold nose on my leg as I turned around lifted my right hand into the prop managed to get all fingers and thumb did
miss the pinky however at least all fingers still there but it was 2 1/2 hrs inER maybe zinger is right "use a zinger save a finger" at
that speed do not think outcome would have been different a little tough posting with one hand and sure killed my
flying for the weekend, martin
no the engine never slowed down wife screaming as I shut it down and threatened to call 911 if I did not get in the car and be taken
to the ER
Old 05-15-2005, 01:23 AM
vauxhall

Default RE: irvine 40 run not good

Sorry to hear that Matin, sounds pretty painful. I did a similar thing with a Frog 500 about 40 years ago. Did you kick the dog afterwards? Hope you're feeling better soon. Little 049's have a lot going for them, don't they...............John
Old 05-15-2005, 07:48 AM
AMB

vauxhall ypu got that right this is only the second time in many years I am really Cap chicken around these never reach over chicken
stick etc first time was a cox 049 little wood prop which broke ,engine stops and a band-aid at least smaller bandages to day and can
use thumb an 2 fingers shuold be 100% by next week end engine slated for a koyosho space walker if more needed will change upward to the irvine 53 davis head think a 13x6 wood zinger be ok on this if the 40 will turn about 8500 the irvine is really slated for the VMAR RV-4 martin
will go low key today and fly the GWS stick with the high max geared brushless

Old 05-15-2005, 10:48 AM
donkey doctor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Dieseldan; So sorry to hear of your recent encounter. It seems inevitable that eventually everybody gets smacked. I hope you heal quickly with no complications. I have been particularly careful of that whirling blade throughout my history. I have seen many serious cuts. One day I started my OS 90 on my 4 star, on full throttle. I was kneeling in front of it and it fired right up and I couldn't get out of the way. It chewed up my inner thigh right side after eating through the cuff of my lederhosen. There was an emergency room nurse there that day. Before the noise had stoped, she was ordering her husband to get the van over here, and she was on me, while another flyer took his belt off for a tourniquet. She called the hospital emergency while I was being driver there. By the time I got there, they had emptied out the emergency for me, twenty-four stiches, twinty outside and 4 inside. Missed the femoral artery by an inch. It was a computer radio that I had set on the wrong model, I checked all the other functions, which worked in the right direction, but I hadn't checked the throttle.

I was lucky, I's hate to think what would have happened if I had done this in my own back yard with no one to drive me to the hospital. If I hadn't had the lederhosen on, it would have been much worse. Sounds like you're well on the road to recovery.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:35 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Heal well my good friend, I hope you don't mind me telling on you but the "cold nosed Dog" is a beautiful black wolf with white hair around its mouth and ears.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:21 AM
AMB

Hobbsy it was the Golden Lab not the Wolf martin
Old 05-16-2005, 11:03 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Uh Oh, sorry.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:06 PM
vauxhall

Martin, you've got a wolf as a pet! I didn't know " Phantom, Ghost Who Walks" was
interested in model diesel engines. I guess the wolf is called Devil........John
Old 05-16-2005, 09:19 PM
AMB

Vauxhall have 2 about 5yrs old brother and sister the male hangs around the test stand when I am out there (engines not running of course) will post a pix of him next to the stand next time out the male is named Courage the Female is Wisdom Had some T shirts
made with their Pix and the Flag sort of a tribute to 911They have been up to our flying Site as cubs its an ultralight field
the Flying Gators nice field 2500 ft grass runway with 500 ft over runs each end they bring in a few Cessnas and Cubs now and then
"drop ins for a visit" a lot of the guys hop out of the ulta lights and fly RC also
A guy by the name of Rhett up there has spent a lot of time Down Under withe the Ulta Lights flys anything Full scale and RC

martin
Old 05-17-2005, 06:49 AM
vauxhall

Thats amazing, are the wolves tame, can you pat them and do they come when called like their domestic cousins? I'd love to see some pictures. Sounds like the Flying Gators field is real pretty.
I'm not sure about ultra lites, I had a ride in a two seater Bensen gyro glider once, scared the hell out of me...........John
Old 05-17-2005, 07:32 AM
SGC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mom had a Dingo as a pet, it was the most faithfull and quiet dog you could ever wish to have. It was great around kids, very protective of them and my mom, extremily well mannered.
It was from wild stock too, it wandered into town 1/2 stalved as a pup, my mom fed it and it never left her side from that day till he died of old age- some 14yrs later.
Everyone in the town knew it was a dingo and admired it , it had to be registered, but at that time it was ilegal to keep dingo's as pets , so it was registered as a besingi( the only other dog that doesnt bark)
Stewart