Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Thinking Of Going Diesel

Old 05-22-2005, 06:51 PM
newfie4ever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking Of Going Diesel

Hi I always wanted to try a diesel engine on an airplane. Is there a chart to tell you want size diesel engine I would require for diff size planes?

I have 4 planes right now. Three 40 size planes an one 60 size plane.

Thanks

Greg
Old 05-22-2005, 07:24 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Thinking Of Going Diesel

Greg// first what engines do you have a conversion head may be available then all you do is change out the head and change your
fuel tubing from glow silcone to gas/diesel tygon and neoprene work fine and the fuel stopper in the tank also, The very basics are
a power increase so you run larger props your running time per tank is almost double no glow plug hassels Davis diesel development has a lot of info on his site and go back on this site also and check the posts you can go back a year and see lots of combos and tips most
of the guys that post this site have a lot of knowledge so read their posts, about a dozen hard core diesel folks. They will answer your
questions so check the davis site and the posts please let us know what engines you have now. if they can be converted only the
price of the head maybe 50 or 55$ maybe $5 for the fuel line and conversion stopper for the tank if you use hayes tanks then just the
external fuel lines they are ok for glow/gas and diesel martin
Old 05-23-2005, 01:44 AM
newfie4ever

Ok I just bought this diesel egine, a model MK-17 1.48cc made in USSR. It looks like a nice engine but I am new to diesels. Any idaels as to what size plane if any I can use this on? Maybe I got more money then brains!! LOL

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40174.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	275322  
Old 05-23-2005, 08:22 AM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your best bet on this one is th contact dan Vicent on this site he knows them well martin I
think a OS, TT10 converson or PAW might be a little easier RC carb martin

Old 05-23-2005, 04:04 PM
newfie4ever

Can I run normal vehicle diesel in this engine or does it need something special?

Thanks
Old 05-23-2005, 04:42 PM
Motorboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: newfie4ever

Can I run normal vehicle diesel in this engine or does it need something special?

Thanks
Not, you need premixed dieselfuel to run MK-17. But first if the engine are never used since the engine was new, use 1/1/1 mixed fuel of kerosene, ether, castoroil to break-in the engine in 1-2 hours depending on performance of the engine.

Before use, please check inside the engine in case there are parts of metals from machining, wash in petrol before use.

After the engine are broken-in, get ready mixed dieselfuel or make your own dieselfuel: 20% castoroil, 50% kerosene, 30% ether, optional add booster, booster give about 25% more power.

(From Aeromodel engine book, O.K. Gaevskiy)

The engine has been designed of V. Petukov and has been produced from factory and builded of selfbuilder in USSR. The engine give about 0.24 hp/16000rpm and the engine volume at 1.5 ccm.

Jens Eirik
Old 06-03-2005, 09:29 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks
No model airplane diesel will run on just vehicle diesel fuel. For that reason some believe that we should refer to them as "compression ignition" instead of "diesel". As Jens said, they need kerosene, ether, and lube (usually castor oil). About 2% of a ignition improver such as amyl nitrate is good also.

I have three Mk-17 diesels. All run well.

If your experience is limited to ABC type engines be aware that any iron/steel piston/cylinder requires proper break-in. There is a diesel combat site in Canada that has good information on how to break-in a diesel and why.

If you do a search you can find info on setting up a throttle on the Mk-17. Mine are for CL use.

Good luck with it. I hope you enjoy your diesel. If someone nearby runs diesels, the learning curve will be much shorter.

George
Old 06-03-2005, 09:56 PM
SGC

Here's the link to the canadian combat site with breakin procedure:- http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/dieselco...ut_diesels.htm
it is very important to properly run in steel/castiron piston motors to get both performance and long life. If properly broken in they give excellent life, the procedure is not difficult----- but must be followed to the letter, the site explains why.
Also here :- http://staff.dstc.edu.au/chernich/ro...index.html#qa9 is a simple explanation on starting.
Stewart
Old 06-03-2005, 11:08 PM
johnvb-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

.... Any idaels as to what size plane if any I can use this on? .....

Thanks
Maybe try a Dynaflite Piece O' Cake. You'd have to customise the engine mounting a bit to allow for the rear intake. I have an MK17 as well and it runs really well on an 8*4 prop, or if you want a bit more go use a 7*4 or 7*5.