Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Stuck Contrapiston?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 10:45 AM
DSLarkin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stuck Contrapiston?

One run of the VA miniature Elfin 1.8s came with extremely tight contrapistons. I had to press them out using a vice with wooden blocks and a dowel. Then I polished the contrapistons, cleaned them and re-fitted them. I still left them fairly tight and they freed up with use.

That engine is not difficult to start but requires a technique of 'catching' the engine by advancing the compression immediately it starts running.

I had an unusual problem with some VA Micros a while back - 1 run of these came with contrapistons that were too long. These had to be shortened before it was possible to run the engine. No big deal but tiresome.

I hasten to add that I have not had these kinds of problems recently with VA engines.

Incidentally George Aldrich did not always work on these engines himself - he had some sent to me!
Old 11-15-2005, 12:12 PM
Motorboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How to fit the contrapiston are showed as here pic with red ring..

Jens Eirik
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67099.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	354796  
Old 11-15-2005, 01:42 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending on what you mean by a push fit, you may end up with a sloppy contrapiston. I think if you can push one into place with your finger, it is likely too loose.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:12 PM
Motorboy

ORIGINAL: Jim Thomerson

Depending on what you mean by a push fit, you may end up with a sloppy contrapiston. I think if you can push one into place with your finger, it is likely too loose.
When i mounted the cylinder to the contrapiston + oil at the contrapiston at the lathe to test fit before parting off the contrapiston, then i can press the cylinder to the contrapiston with force (not with hammer!) and not too far into the cylinder (the upper cylinder has very little bellmouth/taper cause lapping of cylinder) about edge of upper part of the contrapiston to edge of the cylinder or 1 milimetre below edge of the cylinder are ok.

Jens Eirik
Old 11-15-2005, 10:40 PM
Dan Vincent

Dave,

How do you "Polish" your contra-pistons and keep them perfectly round? What is the setup you use?

The drill press method George described sounded good to me as it would lap the CP to the cylinder.

I got my mini-Elfin 1.8 from Neville Palmer when I made a run of boxes for him. I also made some for you, maybe on Mini-Mills or Kalper, can't remember.

There is no way I could do the quick compression adjustment on the Elfin as the lever will not move the CP the way it was delivered.

For My own engines I did the boxes in color.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz80107.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	355145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74710.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	355146  
Old 07-18-2011, 09:05 AM
william hanshaw

Mr. Larkin

I have a VA 0.4 cc Mills replica engine, but it is missing its thrust washer (betweenrear face of prop and front face of crankcase). The crankshaft is tapered conically from the front faceof the crankcase,down to the +/- 2mmthreaded crankshaft.

Do you by chance have this part, and if so will yousell it to me?

Thanks verymuch,

William Hanshaw AMA 31631 [email protected]
Old 07-18-2011, 09:42 AM
DarZeelon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

William,

You have awaken a thread that had died nearly six years ago...

Mr Larkin has last posted here, in RCU, in 2008 and has not been overly active in any case.

I wish you luck getting answers from him.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:02 PM
william hanshaw

Mr. Larkin,

Would you happen to have some spares for the VA 0.4 Mills Diesel replica engine?My little diesel is missing itsthrust washer. I understand that VA has been out of production for some years and can't be contacted. Your kind assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

William "Bill" Hanshaw AMA 31631 Fort Worth TX
Old 07-20-2011, 05:04 PM
william hanshaw

Thanks for your kind response. I will keep my eyes open for a replacement thrust washer for my VA 0.4 Mills replica.