Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Still doesnt work

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 06:53 PM
newrcboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still doesnt work

Hi guys I know I havent posted anything in a while but my engine still wont turn on. I think is my mixture since I found out that my ether expired on 2001, but I found out that u can use polyester resine hardener instead of amyl nitrate in a thread called K & B diesel fuels from 2003.But what is polyester resine hardener?Where can I get it?
Old 02-21-2006, 07:37 PM
SGC

Default RE: Still doesnt work

It is important your ether is ok, get some fresh ether and make a new batch of fuel- keep it sealed so the ether doesnt escape. Then try again.
Re the amyle nitrate,epoxy resin hardener, you motor will start and run without this ok, but it will produce more power with it , only about 2% is used in the fuel. Epoxy resin hardener is called MEKP = methyl ethyl ketone peroxide, its a liquide hardener for epoxy resin as used in fiberglassing.
If you still have no luck starting your motor , you should consider Jacks offer :- http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_38...page_2/tm.htm# to have David Owen look at it and set it up for you. David Owen is a diesel engine guru, he both has sold and made diesel motors and is well respected in the modeling community.
Dont give up, the first diesel gives almost all modelers some grief at first till the "Knack" is learnt, then you wonder why it was so hard at first.
Stewart
Old 02-25-2006, 11:54 AM
newrcboy

Do u know where can I get this in the US.Or better yet in Puerto Rico.
Thanks, George
Old 02-27-2006, 10:25 AM
Fred K

Ether (actually diethyl ether) is difficult to purchase 'over the counter' in small quantities suitable for our use. Automotive starting fluid is a possible source. Unfortunately, the ether content is not high enough to be useful. According to Eric Clutton (Dr. Diesel) the only automotive starting fluid useful for model diesel engines is John Deere starting fluid. This is reportedly 80% ether. Try to find a John Deere implement dealer. The John Deere website shows a dealer in Puerto Rico:

CASCO SALES COMPANY, INC.
Road 165 – Los Caños Avenue
Boulevard Las Palmas
Cataño, Puerto Rico 00962
Teléfono: (1-787) 788-8383
Fax: (1-787) 788-8311

Fred
Old 02-28-2006, 05:01 PM
newrcboy

Thanks but what I meant was the epoxy resin hardener
Old 02-28-2006, 06:19 PM
SGC

Any fiberglass shop shop or automotive spares shop should have MEKP , its a clear liquid NOT the gell in a tube type.
Stewart
Old 03-03-2006, 03:57 PM
Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

ORIGINAL: SGC
Any fiberglass shop shop or automotive spares shop should have MEKP , its a clear liquid NOT the gell in a tube type.Stewart
Nor is it used as an epoxy hardener as you stated earlier. MEKP is used as the hardener for POLYESTER resins. HTH, Tom
Old 03-03-2006, 06:57 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: newrcboy

Thanks but what I meant was the epoxy resin hardener

----------

MEKP is not used to harden epoxy. It is used to harden polyester resin. It's easy to get them confused.

MEKP (Methyl Ethyl Ketone Peroxide - I hope) will immediately blind you permanently if you get it in your eye(s). No joke. This stuff is bad news. Handle with extreme care. Now that I have spread my misinformation, I'll take a break from posting.

I'm just concerned about your safety. Just another geezer putting in his two cents worth.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:59 PM
SGC

Ed,
Your correct it is polyester resin not epoxy .
newrcboy,
Your motor should start and run fine without any additives the amyle nitrate or MEKP is like nitro in glow fuel , motors will run fine without it but more power is produced with it.
Just mix a basic fuel of equal parts Ether,Kerrosine/parrafine, Castor oil.
use this to get the motor started and running.
Stewart