Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Ether and fuel storage containers

Old 03-06-2006, 11:53 AM
Fred K

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ether and fuel storage containers

Diesel users are normally faced with fuel storage issues. Well-sealed, non-breakable containers are not always easy to find. A friend of mine introduced me to camping fuel bottles. These are generally made from aluminum with O-ring sealed hard plastic screw on end-plugs. I have used these to store ether and mixed fuel. They come from several manufacturers and in various sizes. Here's a link to a mail order company in the US.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Sear...y=fuel+bottles

Fred
Old 03-06-2006, 12:04 PM
andrew b

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ether and fuel storage containers

Paint thinner cans are best, if you nip the tops up with pipe wrenches
Old 03-06-2006, 12:12 PM
Motorboy

ORIGINAL: Fred K

O-ring sealed hard plastic screw

Fred
Hard plastic screw are not good idea for ether can make plastic bad late..

Jens Eirik
Old 03-06-2006, 12:38 PM
Fred K

Jens,

Interesting comment on the plastic cap. I've been using these fuel bottles for years with no noticeable problem. The individual that suggested these was a former F2C mechanic and has run diesels for a very long time. Possibly the type of plastic used in these is not effected by ether?

Fred
Old 03-06-2006, 02:08 PM
[email protected]

I have used metal 16 ounce cans with metal screw on lids for years with no problem for storing model diesel fuel. Lead Substitute by Turner Laboratories. A friend had a 1960's car with a big V8 engine and would put in a can of lead substitute when he filled up the fuel tank with unleaded gas. I use a strap wrench to tighten and unscrew the caps.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:35 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cans with metal tops qt size from the hardware store that acetone, laquer thinner or alcohol come in are fine also I use these
when a pour off the gallons when done just give a little twist with a pliers to make sure tight martin
Old 03-06-2006, 10:18 PM
Jim Thomerson

You want to be careful with the pliers that you do not distort the threads in the cap. If you can't smell the ether, then the cap is tight and all is well.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:44 PM
SGC

Heyyyyy you guys get it easy in ALL direction, here Acetone/Laquer thinner tins have plastic tops/lids , I think they broke the die for steel lids .
Stewart
Old 03-06-2006, 10:59 PM
injunnut1

I have always had my doubts as to the material used in the tops of the metal can lids as a gasket, some sort of paper material it appears to me? I wonder what would be the IDEAL lid gasket material for use in storing diesel fuels? Some enthusiasts simply use teflon tape around the can spout's outside threads before screwing on the lid?
Old 03-07-2006, 01:01 AM
Ldalmas

I use the glass laboraty bottles ( th ones ether comes in) with a plastic cap and the seal is tapered so i do not need spechial tools to close it
Laurence
Old 03-07-2006, 11:12 AM
AMB

Jim right on that but I had extra caps after I bent one martin
Old 03-07-2006, 02:18 PM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

I have a couple cans of old fuel I mixed probably 10 years ago. They were stored in a paint solvent cans with plastic caps. The caps have a paper gasket with a aluminum lining that seals against the can. They are just as fresh as they ever were. Any solvent container should be just as suitable. The can of DDD fuel I have has a paper gasket, and it worked OK for being 10 years old.

As long as you store your fuel at 70 degrees(basement) or less, anything that seals well will do. I read an MSDS that said you shouldn't open a bottle of ether above 72F. It also said to never store Ether above 86F.

Greg
Old 03-07-2006, 04:01 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

I have stored and used glow fuel for 7 years, in the original plastic gallon bottles with excellent results. The "secret" was constant temperature and no light exposure.

Of course, model diesel fuel is a completely different critter.

In the early eighties, I ordered a Davis head for my OS .32F-H and a quart of concentrate. Being in the basement, I did not hear the doorbell, but as I got a cup of coffee I could smell model diesel fuel. No one at the door. The next day I was in the basement working again, but I was near the window that was next to the kitchen door. I smelled diesel fuel again. I ran upstairs quickly and there was the UPS man waiting for me. He said he was going crazy trying to find the package that was stinking, but couldn't. His eyes were tearing and it put me into a fit of laughter that I couldn't control. Poor guy!

I opened the box from Davis and could not see any signs of leaking diesel fuel. I figured someone must have given the package a good shot during shipment (I still believe that) and that caused a leak of sorts. Anyway, my concern that most of the ether had evaporated and escaped was alleviated when I fired up my OS using the new head and fuel later that afternoon.

To me, handling, storage, etc. of model diesel fuel is the single largest problem that I have with operating model diesels. I'll put up with the stink (wink) and fly some more diesel powered models this year.

Some of the small electric ARFs look like excellent candidates to diesel power. I do wonder how the materials will hold up. I guess I'll just have to find out for myself.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:38 PM
AMB

Ed some of the elctric arfs are fine for small diesels built up, not foamies I have 3 or 4 . They get a little beef up with 1/8ply firewall added the back of which gets some tri-angle stock and a good dose of epoxy inside up to the bulkhead that supports the wing nad some 1/8 sq stock along the fus sides if a little thin never a problem martin
Old 05-13-2006, 07:34 PM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

I find that mixing fuel is a pain. I buy Eric Clutton's fuel because he discloses the contents if you ask.
http://www.cafes.net/doctordiesel/

Greg