Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Polyurethane tube for diesel??

Old 05-07-2006, 12:59 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Polyurethane tube for diesel??

I need to run a fuel tube in my model that will contain diesel.

I have some polyurethane tube, is this ok? If not, what type of tube do I need?

Thanks
Old 05-08-2006, 11:56 AM
donkey doctor

Default RE: Polyurethane tube for diesel??

Hello; Let's see, polyurethane, is that black, or clear, or is it like wet suit material? I use vinyl (clear) tubing and "Tygon" tuning in my diesels, but I see a few other fellows using a black tuning that works equally well. I don't know if it is polyurethane. I do know that silicone tubing doesn't work with diesel fuel, it swells and loosens.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:58 AM
andrew b

I use a yellow-ish poly tube, its a bit stiffer than silicon, I got mine in Leeds, but most UK model shops seem to have i, I use it for glow as well, find it doesn't "pinhole" like silicon does. Transparent is best because you can see the fuel flow up to the needle and see if you get dirt going up with the fuel.[:@]

I use a filter and a brass nut as the "clunk" in the tank AND filter fuel from my filler bottle.

I have also used heat shrink tube used for electrical stuff as well, seems ok with diesel

I never tried soaking silicon in diesel to see what happens, does it go all snotty and split? [X(]
Old 05-11-2006, 06:49 PM
Lou Crane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Andrew,

Silicone and diesel fuel, eh?

The silicone fuel line swells to about double its original size. Looks summat (spelling?) like the comparison of pasta, e.g., noodles, before or after boiling - except that the silicone fuel line might just resume its original shape after drying thoroughly.

If it fit the needle valve and tank tubes well before exposure to fuel, it won't after. Haven't soaked any for test - it is apparent enough on a model or test bench.

I believe gasoline (USA for petrol) does the same thing to silicone tubing. Clear vinyl in at least part of the lead to the engine helps see if fuel IS flowing or not, and black neoprene does well for the remainder. The inexpensive fishtank aerator tubing does well but hardens in fairly short order.

(first post here - glad to see some dedicated diesel space...)

\BEST\LOU
Old 05-18-2006, 11:12 AM
donkey doctor

Hello; Tygon tubing works okay with diesel fuel. I bought a spool of it when a local power saw shop closed down, and have been using that tubing with gas, glow and diesel. It is a yellowish clear tubing. I don't know if it can be described as polyurethane. The only label says "Tygon tubing"
Old 05-18-2006, 11:52 AM
microengine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE ARE COMPATIBLE WITH DIESEL...

• Flexiable PVC Tubing • High Density Polyethylene Tubing(HDPE)• Low Density Polyethylene Tubing(LDPE)• Latex Tubing • Nylon Tubing • Peek Tubing • Polyethylene Tubing • Polyolefin Tubing • Polyurethane Tubing • PVC Micro Bore Tubing • Silicone Rubber • Polyolefin Tubing • Polyurethane Tubing • PTFE Thin Wall Tubing • PTFE Standard Wall Tubing • PVC Micro Bore Tubing • Tygoprene Tubing • Tygothane Tubing •Viton Tubing •
Old 05-18-2006, 02:10 PM
Sport_Pilot

The ones I know will work are polyethylene, HDPE, nylon, and Tygon. I think Viton may work but I am not sure. Don't know if the Tygoprene or Tygothane are similar to Tygon or not. The ones I know don't work are latex and silicone rubber. The rest I don't know.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:41 PM
microengine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thankyou. Do you know that they work from experience?