Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Reedy Diesel Conversion

Old 05-07-2006, 06:15 PM
GrahamC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reedy Diesel Conversion

I have been fussing with this engine for some time now. It is now in it's second iteration and still very frustrating.

First iteration used a Cox car crankcase and cranshaft (the one with the splined front end not the tapered end), Cox Texaco small tank (5CC), plastic back plate, cylinder without SPI to allow exhaust stub to be used and custom prop driver to adapt an MPJET aluminum electric spinner to the Cox engine and using the RJL diesel head and the Davis Diesel head. I had it running this way a few times but pushed it too hard on one run (7x4 prop at around 10K rpm) and broke the crank.

Second iteration was the same as the first except it now uses a Davis heavy duty crank and a Black Widow Crankcase. I can get it to run but it is very cantankerous and difficult to keep running, the first iteration was more managable for some reason. In fact it is down right difficult to get running in this iteration. Both versions started better as glow engines even with a low compression RJL conversion head on them.

In both versions it was better handling with a TD piston cylinder but doesn't work well with the exhaust stub with the SPI.

I think I might just leave one as a glow engine and fit a PAW to the plane I was planning on putting this one on.

To relieve my frustrations with trying and occasionly succeding in getting the cantankerous wee beasty to run, I got out one my PAW 09's and ran a couple of tanks of fuel through it, around 12K with a 12x4 MAS.

Pictures in order are first iteration pieces showing spinner adapter, first iteration with RJL glow head, and second iteration with RJL diesel head.

I think I will the leave Cox reedies as glow and stick with something like the PAW's for diesels; at least for now.

Cheers, Graham in Embrun near Ottawa Canada
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80598.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	457618   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24196.jpg
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	457619   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79316.jpg
Size:	265.4 KB
ID:	457620  
Old 05-07-2006, 08:55 PM
SGC

Default RE: Reedy Diesel Conversion

Graham,
As i beleive you are after Texaco type performance an older style metal Baby Bee back plate is what you need , these have a smaller dia venturie and will make it easier to start, also the older BB cylinder( no No) with single transfer slot and no sub induction or a No8 Clylinder as used on car motors would be my choice too.
Stewart
Old 05-08-2006, 07:41 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also up the ether content to about 50% and give that a try.

George
Old 05-08-2006, 12:17 PM
GrahamC

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

The tank I have used is an original COX Texaco (the small size, same as the old Babe Bee tanks 5CC) and it does have a small diameter venturi as least as small as the old non-anodized Babe Tanks I have. The cylinder/piston is a number 6 I believe, duel bypass and no SPI, meant for car engine use I think. Yes 1/2a Texaco was my goal.

Fuel was fresh brewed. My old standard which seems to work well, 40% kerosene 40% ether, 25% Castor oil, and 2 to 2-1/2% Amsoil Cetane boost. All my PAW's run very well on this mix. I even tried priming with a more ether rich mix as well as running on a more ether rich mix as well as uping the ignition improver to 5% but to no avail.

After playing around some more with this engine I think it must be the piston cylinder fit. I have had better luck getting the TD pistion/cylinders to run more reliably, must be something to do with tapered fit of the piston/cylinder of the TD's. These other piston/cylinders run fine as a glow engine however. I don't have a spare TD piston/cylinder set to use so I will set this engine aside and save it for some more playing around in the fall. I gotta get the PAW fitted and the plane finished so I get some flying in.

cheers, Graham in Embrun near Ottawa Canada

Old 05-08-2006, 10:26 PM
SGC

Graham,
All the older cylinders were taper ground to and required some running in, if you cant find a good set , maybe you can mix n match piston/cylinders to find a tight set and hand lap it so it just pinchs at the top. Or make use of a piston that has expanded dureing a ball socket reset, unfortunately I only have the 1 good BabyBee cylinder set n its from a motor I purchased as a teenager, the dam things wont wear out (not realy complaineing , there on there second crankcase/ crank and as a diesel.
Stewart
Old 05-09-2006, 12:15 PM
itsme

Hi Graham,

I'm sorry about this, but I just couldn't help but notice your fuel mix . 40% kerosene, 40% ether, 25% castor oil and 2 to 2.5% Amsoil Cetane boost. Hmmm. 107%???

Regards
Warren
Old 05-09-2006, 12:52 PM
GrahamC

That's what I call easy math. My basic fuel mix is 33% ether 40% kerosene 25% castor and 2% Amsoil Cetane boost. However, ether being as it evaporates quickly, I just extended it a bit to ensure I had enough ether in the mix. So, 40ml Ether 40ml Kerosene, 25ml Castor oil and 2ml ignition improver and I would have a wee bit more than 100ml of fuel.

SGC:

I have tried to mix and match pistons and cylinders and thought I had a good match but I for some reason it just isn't reliable. Interesting thing is that I can start and reliably run the engine as a glow engine with the same piston/cylinder set and for that matter some that seemed even too loose for that. One of the difference between the diesels and glow engines seems to be in the piston/cylinder fits - a good piston and cylinder for a glow engine doesn't mean it will be a good one for diesel, or so my emperical testing shows. And, I just can't explain it or even begin to offer a reason why. I guess sometimes what works and what doesn't work in some of the small engines defies all explanation. It is always interesting to try and figure out why as I always like a good puzzle.

cheers, Graham in Embrun near Ottawa Canada.

ORIGINAL: itsme

Hi Graham,

I'm sorry about this, but I just couldn't help but notice your fuel mix . 40% kerosene, 40% ether, 25% castor oil and 2 to 2.5% Amsoil Cetane boost. Hmmm. 107%???

Regards
Warren