Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Cold start assist

Old 02-02-2008, 12:01 PM
R/Cpullerdude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold start assist

The topic about cold weather starting has got me thinking about cold start assist systems, like glow plugs and intake heaters on full scale Diesels. I'm in PA, and we can see temps anywhere from -10 to 100*F in the course of a year. For this reason, I'm thinking a cold start assist would be useful. What about something like a normal glow plug in the intake air stream to heat the intake air a little? Probably wouldn't help much, but would help. You could put an ignitor on it while cranking the engine over in cold weather, so all the air going in goes by it first, heating it a small bit. Another solution would be a glow plug in the cylinder that could be hooked up a short while before cranking to heat the cylinder, and more importantly, the combustion chamber. Both of the systems I just outlined could be used at the same time too, so that the intake air would be warmed a bit, and going into a warm cylinder. All GP's used would have to be "hot" ones so they could actually do some good. Just something I had on my mind.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:20 PM
Motorboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Cold start assist

In fact it is not difficult to start the model diesel engines in winter. The proplem are too little ether in fuel or wrong starting method by owner. I live in Norway, there are cold winter down to -10, -15 degree.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:44 PM
R/Cpullerdude

What about our Canadian friends who have to deal with -40 or lower temps?
Old 02-19-2008, 03:08 AM
efretwell

just use a hair dryer and point it at the air filter, I use this in idaho when its about 10 degrees F out, I actually heat up the whole block to.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:51 AM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used a micro torch that you refill with cigarette lighter butane on a super tight pinch on a norvel 061. I am sure it would work to warm a diesel head. most likely would work on a diesel in very cold weather, you also might need to block a few fins with aluminum foil wrap to keep the heat, this has been done and works also for good running in cold weather. Motor Boy seems to have no issues looks like a little more ether or a squirt of starter fluid works too martin
Old 02-20-2008, 08:02 PM
Lou Crane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Inserting a glow plug in the contra-piston of an existing diesel sounds like a lot of effort, and batteries tend to go flat in low temps, too.

The methods, suggested already, do work, and are much simpler. I've occasionally found diesels easier to start in cold weather than glows! Don't worry too much about it. Make sure YOU stay warm, and go ahead and give it a shot...
Old 02-23-2008, 10:32 AM
R/Cpullerdude

I wasn't actually thinking along the lines of putting it into the contrapiston, but rather intake air stream, but the contrapiston is a good idea.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:12 PM
octanehuffer

I too just heat the head and block with a torch