Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

OS 10FSR conversion to diesel?

Old 09-19-2009, 12:03 AM
asen59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OS 10FSR conversion to diesel?

@ andy

thank you very much for yr all information.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:26 AM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Your'e welcome Asen. There's kerosene flowing in my blood. Not 40% mind you,,,,
Old 09-19-2009, 03:25 AM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andy,

thank you so much for the info you provided!

I like this thread a lot!

Kostas
Greece
Old 09-19-2009, 01:04 PM
ddd

When you go to our website you will see a video of a Rapter with a dieselized OS .32SXH. There is a tube running all the way down the boom. When the power is applyed the heli go up much faster then the glow version. The gear ratio is stock, the diesel just turns faster then 15% nitro as the collective load is less to the diesel.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:30 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speaking of old heli Diesel conversions, I just bought a DDD conversion head for an OS .28H off eBay. Now I'm looking for an engine that it will fit. I have a few Magnum engines in the .25 to .28 size displacement range. Maybe the DDD head will fit one of them? I hope so. It appears that the old OS .28H engines are a little hard to find.

Model Diesels are much more fuel efficient, seriously quieter than glow using the same muffler, deadstick much less often once adjusted properly and I'm sure there are other pluses that I can't think of right at the moment. Run time expense is about the same as glow. You burn less Diesel fuel per time unit, but the fuel costs twice as much as glow fuel per gallon. So - it evens out cost wise. National politics/economy make a huge difference in how model Diesel operation compares to glow fuel operation.

Of course, then there is the magic of operating a model Diesel. That is priceless.

Ed Cregger
Old 09-20-2009, 01:35 AM
AndyW

Ed,

Don't forget that manly aroma from the tail pipe. [:@]

I think that Bob Davis is right. On glow, a prop will unload in the air. On a heli, no such action can occur. So when you punch the throttle on a diesel equipped heli, you get instant torque with no bogging down. Assuming, of course that you've been blessed with good throttle response. I was very much surprised at the bad throttling on my bored, OS .10 but again, the porting may not have been optimized. Fall is coming with cooler weather, ideal for testing diesels. Will have another look at this one.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:06 PM
ddd

Andy watch the diesel heli video on our website.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:34 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've watched the video and I can't tell if there is any gain compared to the glow version?

Sure is a high reving diesel though, any idea on the revs?
Old 09-21-2009, 02:55 PM
AndyW

Bob,

To be honest, it appears that the diesel advantage isn't being used here. It sounds like that engine wants to be loaded down a bit. Lower gearing perhaps. I would LOVE to give that a try and I might, next year. I have a Norvel .06 converted to rear exhaust, utilizing the LiteMachines, heli throttle/muffler. It's going, (someday) into an ARK 400 electric heli converted to glow. AND, of course, converted to diesel. That throttle/engine/muffler combo is yet to be tested on diesel fuel though, but maybe this fall.

I've run Norvel conversions on diesel on glow sized props and about equal RPMs were achieved. But the engines, even though the compression was backed off from max., sounded like an overcompressed glow. Backing off more just dropped RPMs without affecting that overcompressed cackle. This MAY be simply characteristic of Norvel, though. The same engine, when the 6 x 3 was swapped out for an 8 x 4, sounds like this,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57WTJ...e=channel_page

Now THAT's a sweet, diesel sound. And, I'm told, it surpasses the benchmark, PAW .06 for power on an 8 x 4,, and that's the notoriously, heavy loading, Cox prop.

But I'm impressed with the throttle response on the dieselized, OS .32,,, something to shoot for on the overbored, .10
Old 09-21-2009, 02:59 PM
ddd

I'm glad you asked that question.
What wears out heli parts is the mix of exhaust oil and dirt not mention how hard it is to clean. The hose does away with thta If you notice in the video when the heli jumps to a higher place when power is applied glow assends not jumps but then your an airplane guy and would not notice that. I do know you know it runs much longer and that's a plus, oh and no plug to go out, as heli's don't glide well.