Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

os .15 la conversion

Old 07-07-2009, 07:13 PM
Highflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default os .15 la conversion

hey guys im thinkin about putting a davis head on the .15 that will go in the clancy lazy bee im building. the engine is new and i was wondering if it should be broken in first on glow or can i just go diesel out of the box. also where is a good place to start on a diesel blend (i have never had a diesel engine) i have a john deere dealership close to me so hopefully i can snag some of the 80% ether.
thanks
Old 07-07-2009, 07:37 PM
SGC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: os .15 la conversion

Highflyer,
The JD ether once out of the can and degassed is actually 100% ether or pretty close to (may have a couple % of lube oil), so consider it 100% for mixing purposes,
The basic old english mix will run most diesels ok, thats equal parts ether, castor and kerro.
The LA engine being plain bearing needs at least 25% oil so dont use mixes below this oil content, more power can be had with more kerro but will run hotter, easier starts and lower opperating temps with more ether- also lower less fussy compression settings.
The addition of ignition improver(amyl nitrate etc) can improve starting and power(particularly on smaller prop sizes), but over doseing will make compression settings critical to imposiable, for sport/general use 1% is sufficient and gets 80% of the benifits.
So what would I run ?? 25% castor, 35% kerro, 40% ether +(if desired)1% improver. =101%
Stewart
Old 07-07-2009, 09:02 PM
denoferth
My Feedback: (71)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My John Deer dealer here in Dover, NH told me he stopped stocking the starting fluid but wouldn’t say why. I suspect he was not being too truthful. Maybe he thought I was a “domestic terrorist” since I retired from the military, own firearms and have a beard?
Dennis
Old 07-07-2009, 10:34 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GO FOR THE CONVERSION the LA 15 with the Davis head great combo and it will do fine on the Davis ABC mix too, Do a few tanks of glow before converting for a break in. I use it in plain, BB, ringed, and non ringed in my TT and OS10s and a mix of TTs, STs Irvines, MVVS, KandB thru 90s Davis conversions martin

Old 07-08-2009, 07:51 AM
RocketRob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Martin,
I've always been interested in your OS 10 conversion, what kind of performance are you getting on what prop? I seem to recall you fly it at an electric field due to the low noise output? Some how I've ended up with a couple of OS .10s I'll never fly as glow.....
Thanks Rob
Old 07-08-2009, 08:40 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

HF, judging by my LA .46 and LA .65 conversions the LA .15 will be a fine conversion, I also have an LA .10 conversion that is not broken in yet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17072.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	1231936  
Old 07-08-2009, 09:49 AM
AMB

Rocket Bob had to do a little searching on this one posted on 6/10/03 I think there are more here after that OS10 9x4 wood zinger in the 9 to 10K range many flights till a couple of years ago and flew it without putting on the struts hard fast turn in wind 10mpg gusts maybe to 15 and snapped the wing it was a pylon turn plane is not really designed for that kind of flying its a cub but was a hot fast flyer most important QUIET
all radio gear and engine was undamaged, It sort of fluttered down with half a wing so soft impact on grass martin

When the wing broke off part of the wing joiner tore off the whole left side of the plane back to the stab. lots off stuff came fluttering down
if only the wing would have repaired I do have an other (the same NIB) thus will be back in the air with the same ship and same engine

Old 07-08-2009, 10:22 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: denoferth

My John Deer dealer here in Dover, NH told me he stopped stocking the starting fluid but wouldn’t say why. I suspect he was not being too truthful. Maybe he thought I was a “domestic terrorist” since I retired from the military, own firearms and have a beard?
Dennis

They're not afraid of you being a domestic terrorist. They just don't want you or anyone else making methamphetamine.

Ed Cregger
Old 07-09-2009, 10:16 AM
RocketRob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

but then how are we supposed to get all these models built
Old 07-09-2009, 11:16 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: RocketRob

but then how are we supposed to get all these models built

I've been wondering the same thing.

Ed Cregger
Old 07-09-2009, 11:47 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: denoferth
Dennis
Or perhaps he wasn't selling much of it. You can also get starting fluid from auto supply stores. Just read the label because some have much less ether than others.

You might also approach the dealer, tell him what it's for, and ask if he knows of another dealer that might stock it.

Good luck.

George