Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

TT10 with new davis diesel head

Old 07-23-2009, 05:34 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TT10 with new davis diesel head

ok looks like we got the pix up load fixed TT10 with Davis conversion nice smooth top still the easy thumb screw compression adjustment pitts muffler thus side mounting exhaust out the the bottom will cowl in nicely in the VMAR nouvo 1300 electric conversion sort of telemaster looking 51 inch span taildragger should be a nice combo full house controls will be great in park or regulat field getting my full bush plane build up beefed up main gear bigger wheels for any field martin

this #2 TT10 davis head first in a goldberg tiger 400 electric conversion I really like the nice back angled carbs

The next one is the OS10A davis head going in the VMAR cub to replace the cub which was lost due to a wing failure

they are all quiet in fact less noise than the stock electrics and just fuel flip and fly long flights no battery charging and changing

I did have other choice a PAW 09 and its clone a Sharma 09 I prefer modern conversions for my flying styles

Just added the mini telemaster conversion this has on OS10 davis conversion it was used to carry some small telemetering equipment at the University of Central Florida (UCF)
as a team project by my wifes son who just graduated with his degree in engineering martin

Note exhaust piped to back QUIET

Head on of tiger 400 electric conversion OS10 davis head
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92179.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	1242452   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88855.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	1242453   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74199.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1242454  
Old 07-23-2009, 06:32 PM
Mr Cox

Default RE: TT10 with new davis diesel head

How are the conversions compared to the PAW09 RC?
Old 07-23-2009, 07:21 PM
AMB

Mr cox

1. Contra is in the head hence no chance of a stuck contra

2 Modern carb with an air bleed adjustment

3 the TT it has a front mounted angled carb the OS uses a rear mounted carb ( might convert it to a front mount ( just a thought] either way a modern design carb

4 Aluminum piston in a plated liner not iron in steel

3 Quite sure a little lighter not a real issue

4 A large bushed connecting rod not the whispy paw one (unbushed)

5 Never a balance or vibration issue with either the OSs or TTs
6 they come with mufflers you do not have to buy one as an accesory

martin
Old 07-25-2009, 08:32 AM
RocketRob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice looking plane Martin.[8D]

Having a bit of confusion figuring out, was it a conversion from electric?

Looking forward to flight reports!

Rob
Old 07-25-2009, 04:34 PM
Mr Cox

Conversion of the engine from glow to diesel I suppose?

I kind of prefer the iron/steel construction of the piston and liner, but maybe I'm just old-fashioned...

What about performance numbers?
Old 07-25-2009, 06:20 PM
AMB

ROCKETBOB..It is a scaled down version of the big tele >It is designed for electric being the slab side construction I just added an other firewall to the first of 1/8 ply and used a plastic beam mount forget the brand Dubrow, sullivan?? and used 4 cap screws with blind nuts 4/40 the 9x4 zinger I think turns in the mid 9K range. I have yet to fly it my wifes son did for a project with some small tele-metering equipment GPS, altimeter etc and I assume a means of sending data to the ground. It did its thing according to plan and will get it back it of course in its orginal state minus the telemetering stuff. It was a very easy conversion . chopped out the battery holder and just made a new one to hold the tank and added a micro servo attached to the inside of the fus side to run the throttle martin

Mrcox note the RPM
Old 07-29-2009, 03:28 PM
Mr Cox

Ok, thanks for the estimated numbers.
I have never had any conversion my self but I do feel the need to comment a little on that list of points...

So following your numbers;

1. Never had a contra getting stuck completely yet...

2. Yes an airbleed would be nice and you find it on MP JET (some) and MVVS etc, on PAW's I haven't had any need for it...

3. I'm asuming that you mean a rear mounted needle? That I would like to try, it is a little annoying when the needle turns with the throttle, or worse when turning the needle the throttle turns a little too...

4. I actually prefer steel/iron technology as it lasts longer...

3. I can't seen any weight advantage with the conversions if the stock muffler is used.

4. I haven't bent or worn out any rod yet...

5. No vibration issues with the PAWs yet, the old MVVS 1.5 certainly is a pain though...

6. PAWs come with mufflers for 0.09 and up. Smaller sized engines have it as an add on, other options include radial mounts.

- A drawback for me with the conversion is that I would have to place a separate order for the heads and that is not a small cost incl. shipping.

I tacked my PAW 09 RC today, after a good and looong flight I landed and got the following numbers: idle at 3500, max at 10600 rpm. This was on a MAS 9x4 and throttle is limited to about 90% when at max (it is just the way I prefere to run it).

Fuel was 25% castor, 33% ether, 40.5% Kerosene, 1.5% IPN.

I have nothing against the conversions but so far I'm very happy with my other diesels. I made my effort here today in promoting diesels, several people commented on the soft and quite running. The noise level it self is on pair with electrics but there is no comparison in terms of pleasantness to the ear... [8D]