Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Your favourite diesel

Old 09-12-2009, 06:35 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Your favourite diesel

Good job Eric, the neck on the Irvine carb was about .002" too large so I wrapped two turns of sandpaper around it and turned it between my thumb and index finger until it slid into the PAW with just a little pressure. I think Martin did the same.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:49 PM
peterburford

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike,
It's good that you still appreciate that Taipan 2.5. (post # 8)
I would certainly be hard pressed to make better today.
At that time we had an enthusiastic group of 25 to 30 employees and a modern factory with new, state-of-the-art machinery producing around 10,000 engines per year.
Diesels made were the plain bearing 2cc Tyro and the twin ball race 2.5cc you mention. Glows were 2.5cc, 3.5cc and the then new '40', all twin ball race. We made a range of propellers and accessories. All were designed, tooled and manufactured in-house.
Quite an unique operation.
Peter
Old 09-12-2009, 10:13 PM
downunder

Hi Peter
I remember your dad opening up his factory one weekend to show me around and gave me a demo on how a contrapiston was ground to suit a particular liner.

Which leads on to my favourite diesel, a Taipan 2.5 with the rear drum valve. I don't know how or why it was purchased but it belonged to the RAAF model club at Wagga when I was an apprentice so I took over it. That thing was so eay to start you almost only needed to look hard at it and off it'd go . Nowadays they're probably the rarest of all the old Taipans and I've never even been able to find a photo of one. Although I spotted one laying on the bench in that segment of the Collectors on TV with Ivor F. The only diesels I've got now are an ETA Elite and a KMD-2.5.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:56 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My favorite was a TaplinTwin RC Diesel. I used to have a .30 Indian made version I had bought fromHobby Lobby at the time.
It ran amazingly well and was so quiet too. I had it mounted in a House of balsa Peteinpol airplane at the time.
I regret ever selling it and the plane. But at the time I was getting real big into pattern flying, and it funded my next pattern plane.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:14 PM
paw080

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: juxy2

My PB .33 is an absolute delight, the Irvine Mills .75 runs very sweetly, the .8cc ED Racer BB replica is the prettiest little engine I've ever seen but my favourite for sheer all round excellence, is my Schlosser 1cc BB
Hi Juxy, Go ahead, Run that ED Racer NOW! I've got about 18 minutes run time on mine. It is still
tight, and the performance is getting better. First of all, the ED Racer .8cc is a duplicate of the
prototype in running character. when setting the contra-piston, the response is immediate. Adjusting
the needle also brings immediate and predictable result. This engine handles,sets and runs like the
prototype. This is the only miniature relica diesel engine that I've experienced this with. The last time
I ran the engine, it was spinning a Tornado nylon 5X3 at 17200 and showed signs of improving with more
run time.

I bought my .8cc ED Racer at a MECA swap meet at RJL's place. It was in a plastic bag, also with no
instructions. I am still mulling over the decision of which model to build for it(U/C). Maybe I'll try a miniature
Black Ghost of about 140-150 sq"s...?

Tony G(I haven't decide what my favorite diesel engine is yet.)

Old 09-13-2009, 05:35 PM
juxy2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: paw080

ORIGINAL: juxy2

My PB .33 is an absolute delight, the Irvine Mills .75 runs very sweetly, the .8cc ED Racer BB replica is the prettiest little engine I've ever seen but my favourite for sheer all round excellence, is my Schlosser 1cc BB
Hi Juxy, Go ahead, Run that ED Racer NOW! I've got about 18 minutes run time on mine. It is still
tight, and the performance is getting better. First of all, the ED Racer .8cc is a duplicate of the
prototype in running character. when setting the contra-piston, the response is immediate. Adjusting
the needle also brings immediate and predictable result. This engine handles,sets and runs like the
prototype. This is the only miniature relica diesel engine that I've experienced this with. The last time
I ran the engine, it was spinning a Tornado nylon 5X3 at 17200 and showed signs of improving with more
run time.

I bought my .8cc ED Racer at a MECA swap meet at RJL's place. It was in a plastic bag, also with no
instructions. I am still mulling over the decision of which model to build for it(U/C). Maybe I'll try a miniature
Black Ghost of about 140-150 sq"s...?

Tony G(I haven't decide what my favorite diesel engine is yet.)

Well, Imay just do that, it would only be a matter of time anyway, before my curiosity got the better of me and I'd have to run it. It's been sitting in my display case for a couple of years now...

Ican't help thinking that a 5x3 is way under-propped for a .8cc diesel, albeit a twin BR. I would normally reckon to run such an engine on a 6x4 or 7x3. In following your comparison with it's prototype, the original Mk II Racer developed it's maximum power at about 14,500 rpm.
Juxy.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:10 PM
peterburford

I too have a soft spot for that drum-valve Taipan diesel.
It was not particularly powerful, but with the long stroke and ball race, it was very easy to start.
Hard to know then that it had characteristics that would make it a long-time favourite.

For us, it was at a time when we were able to change our design philosophy.
Much of our earlier design was coloured by economic production on available machinery as we established our factory.
But by then we had better equipment and more design choice.
The drum valve of this engine enabled better induction while still letting us use an available stock ball race.
Later we could order 'special' races with a larger ID to OD and specified clearance. This allowed larger gas passages though a crankshaft valve.

I know that as a user, you judge an engine by the end result: and so you should: but you can see that there are many influences of economics and market that can change that end. Not the least is the determination of the management and history of our hobby shows many people who developed their businesses with a passion for the product rather than just the profit. We are very fortunate that they did. Could be that models are just like that?
Gordon is an enthusiast and he led all of us to do just as well as we could.

Peter
Old 09-14-2009, 01:18 PM
paw080

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Juxy2,

You said.." Well, I may just do that, it would only be a matter of time anyway, before my curiosity got the better of me and I'd have to run it. It's been sitting in my display case for a couple of years now...

I can't help thinking that a 5x3 is way under-propped for a .8cc diesel, albeit a twin BR. I would normally reckon to run such an engine on a 6x4 or 7x3. In following your comparison with it's prototype, the original Mk II Racer developed it's maximum power at about 14,500 rpm.
Juxy. "

Yes, a 6X3-7X3 woud be normal for most strong .8cc diesels; but this is no PAW Sbr or Tbr. I tried a Sharma 7X4,
and the poor little ED sounded horribly labored and only turned slightly over 8K. However, I just double checked
my notes, and that 17,200 was not with an APC 5X3, it was an APC 6X3! [:@] So, this engine is running better than I
remembered... I use a Cox Grey 6X4 on my PAW .8cc SBR, which powers a Ringaster Jr(195sq" profile control line model).
I fly it on 45' X .008" lines. Looks like you're right, a 5X3 is too small for this engine, but a 5X4 might work really
well for racing. Enjoy your Baby ED Racer,

Tony G
The following users liked this post:
franchi (11-23-2022)
Old 09-14-2009, 01:33 PM
lildiesel

My favorite diesel is still my first diesel. The Webra Piccolo .049. I bought one at a hobby shop in Stuttgart when i was thirteen and have kept it either in a plane or in a small wooden cigar box on my desk ever since. It's the third version with the silver muff and the ogive spinner. See my avatar. [8D]
Old 09-20-2009, 05:21 PM
jigsawyer
My Feedback: (31)

I'd have to say that my all-time favorites are the two ST G20/.15D's that Doc Anderson built for me back in the early '70s. Of the older engines, the Rivers Silver Streak still runs great. Of my modern engines, it's the MVVS 2.5DFS/R, for sure! Excellent engine, swings a 9-6 at 10,200 rpm with decent economy, and easy handling (once I got used to the extremely short compression screw).
Old 09-20-2009, 05:57 PM
mike109

G'day Peter and Oily Hand people.

Back in my earlier post I said the my favourite diesels were my Super Tigre G2015Ds and anything with a T on it. Well, here are some Taipans I was given recently. They spent several years hauling kids control line models round the sky (and into the ground) and will eventually find their way into some old timers.

Sorry about the ring-in glow but it is a Taipan too.

Starting at the top we have a Taipan 2.5 cc 1959 model. These are very sought after for old timer use as they produce good power for their light weight in the Australian "Burford" class.
On the left is a Taipan Tyro 1.9cc from about 1972. I had a new one of these way back when. These too are favourites in old time 2cc competitions.
On the right is the glow 2.5 that came with the others. Thousands of these pulled Aeroflyte models round the sky in Australia.
And at the bottom is a 1962 2.5cc diesel. There were two of these in the engines I was given. There was also a 1.5 cc version of this engine.

All these engines have done a lot of work but still have good compression. To date I have only run the Tyro.

When I get some time, I think I will give them all a good clean to see if I can bring them back some of their former glory.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23620.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	1278936  
Old 10-10-2009, 06:54 AM
Dan Vincent

Back in the early 1950's I had an OK Cub .099, and a McCoy .098 glo engines that I really enjoyed shoving in an .049 size model and had a lot of fun. When the McCoy .09 diesel came out I snagged one right away and was amazed at how easily it started and the obvious power advantage over my two glo .09's.

I asked Stan Pilgrim from Australia what was his favorite .09 and then Roger Shroeder did a survey of the "Motor Boys" and the winner was the McCoy .09. George Aldrich also loved the McCoy diesel. The whole thing was published in the Engine Collectors' Journal.

I have a couple of nice McCoy .09 diesels and hope my eyesight comes back so I can eventually fly one of these little jewels again. I flew a Ringmaster Jr. for a couple of years and don't remember ever crashing it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96068.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1291819