Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Classic Old Time Engines DEEZIL

Old 10-13-2009, 07:03 PM
gmedson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic Old Time Engines DEEZIL

Hi guys, especially George- I just won a Classic Old Time Engines DEEZIL on eBay. This is the same repro that George (gcb) showed us with a few photos in the DEEZIL thread I started a few months back.

I wonder if someone can tell me more about Classic Old Time Engines. About all I know is that they offered the DEEZIL about 15 years ago for $95.00 and they were located in Perrysburg, OH. Googling turns up nothing current. Who ran COTE? Where was this DEEZIL made? Did they have other offerings?

Although the COTE DEEZIL generally looks like the Gotham original, the crankcase is different and does not use the original as a pattern. Also it has a turned aluminum prop driver, probably retained with a collet, like the Roger Schroeder DEEZIL, once offered as plans and castings kit. When I receive it in the mail, it will be fun to compare it in detail with the original and the Schroeder and Burford versions.

BTW, I am still looking to buy a CS DEEZIL to complete my DEEZIL family. Yes, I am aware that my collecting tastes are wierd...

Thanks. -Gary Edson
Old 10-13-2009, 09:37 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Classic Old Time Engines DEEZIL

COTE was run by Don Belote, a friend of mine who sadly passed away not too long ago. He was an avid engine collector, hobby machinist and also very active in the Toledo Weak Signals club for many years. I don't know the details but he had the engines manufactured somewhere and was distributing them to collectors. Yes they sold other models of engines... unfortunately I dont remember where they were made.

You may have to look up the info with some of the older MECA members, or maybe look in past issues of the engine collector's journal.

AJC
Old 10-13-2009, 10:08 PM
[email protected]

Gary, Classic Old Time Engines also had a project with the Micro diesel. A 1947 2 cc diesel long stroke side port design and the first American diesel with variable compression. Not sure if the Micro project was completed. Arne Hende may have been involved in this Micro diesel pproject but I am not sure. Check on the SAM web site may get more info on Classic Old Time Engines. I talked to Don Belote by phone when he and Jim Wlston were working on the project 15 years or so back. Classic Old Time Engines also offered a fuel shut off valve operated by a servo for glow, gas and diesel. These were advertised in SAM SPEAKS newsletter maybe 15 years ago. Jack Hiner
Old 10-14-2009, 08:54 AM
RocketRob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The COTE Deezil engines are by CS
Note the use of metric threads.
I wouldn't be surprised also if Don's Micro engine is the same one CS now markets also.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:23 PM
gmedson

Thanks Andrew, J. Hiner, and RocketRob for your responses to my question. To date, I have only seen pictures of the COTE and CS DEEZILS, and I did not notice that they are alike. The CS pics I have found are not good closeups, but it appears to me that they have no name on them, whereas Don Belfort's had DEEZIL engraved on the front (as opposed to a cast-on label). Looks like CS continued to sell them under their own name after the COTE association was over. Except for the DEEZIL label, likely they are the same?

I do have a CS Micro and it is nice to learn that its origin was with COTE.

Finally, George, do you have papers that came with your COTE DEEZIL? If so, could you scan them and send them to me as an email attachment? Or photocopy and mail to me? I will be happy to reimburse you for your trouble.

Thanks again, Guys. Regards. -Gary
Old 10-14-2009, 08:01 PM
[email protected]

Here is a photo of my CS Deezil I got from Eric Clutton. Jack
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50400.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	1295100  
Old 10-14-2009, 09:44 PM
RocketRob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe a year ago or so, a COTE deezil on was on ebay from a seller in Perrysburg Oh. I being born and raised in Ohio, noticed the coincedence and and I corresponded with him (Don) and he admitted they were made by CS. So not wanting another CS I politely thanked him for his information and declined.
I looked for the correspondence but the ebay emails only last for 60 days so.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:20 PM
JMP_blackfoot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are pictures of my CS repro Deezil, bought from Eric Clutton. I haven't run it yet, but I must say it feels pretty good and well made.
The first picture shows it between an Oliver/Dunham Battleaxe and a Modela (MVVS) Junior, all three being 2cc.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21416.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	1295406   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30700.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	1295407   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26798.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	1295408  
Old 10-15-2009, 04:17 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: gmedson
...Finally, George, do you have papers that came with your COTE DEEZIL? If so, could you scan them and send them to me as an email attachment? Or photocopy and mail to me? I will be happy to reimburse you for your trouble.

Thanks again, Guys. Regards. -Gary
Gary, I'm afraid there was no paper work with it. Inside the engine box was some tissue on the bottom and bubble wrap around the engine...no instructions. Since I bought it used, perhaps the previous owner had thrown it away. Sorry.

George
Old 10-16-2009, 07:57 PM
gmedson

Thanks JMP and GCB for your input. I am going to assume that the CS and COTE versions are alike except for the DEEZIL name on the front. That is until I have one of each in each of my hands to compare. My COTE is now waiting for me at the post office. So I am about to take one more epic step in the Great DEEZIL Pilgrimage.

Thanks for your answer about the papers, George. I have no idea whether there ever were papers... And Don Belote is no longer with us, as it turns out.

Anyway, this thread put me back in touch with Andrew Coholic, a diesel friend from years ago. And I enjoyed the exchange with you newer friends too.

Thanks, Guys. -Gary
Old 10-16-2009, 08:29 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Gary, I've had the pleasure of visiting with AJ in person at Toledo and have about 4 of his heads including one on a Maloney 1.25. AMB, a regular here in the Deezel Nut Forum has a few also. Good Guy AJ is.

Bob Davis was in Fla. a few days ago and flew with AMB.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:30 PM
ffkiwi

Gary-the O-ring backplate seal is a dead giveaway on CS made engines-replica or otherwise-it seems to be almost a signature trademark on all their engines with a screw in backplate

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Old 10-24-2009, 02:48 PM
gmedson

Hi Chris- Thanks for your post. Good to hear from you. Sorry to delay reply; I hope you check this thread, although it is a bit stale now.

I checked my CS Micro diesel replica, and it does not have an O-ring seal, so is an exception to CS's usual practice you point out. Interesting to me that both the DEEZIL and Micro replicas evidently both originated with Don Belote.

I very much enjoyed your posts on How-do-you-tell-an-original-Mills. Specifically your comments on the Doonsides. I have a Mk II, masterfully restored to like-new by Jon Fletcher. Luckily I bought it from him on eBay just before Doonside prices went all crazy!

BTW, to jump back to the COTE/CS DEEZIL replica again, my engine is well finished and fit together with the exception of the crankcase. It is really pretty crude. Aparently CS put minimal effort into the original pattern. Crankcase is kinda lumpy. With pinholes and two small voids. Well, that's what Devcon casting repair resin is for...

Regards. -Gary
Old 11-02-2009, 03:37 PM
ffkiwi

Gary I have several engines currently with Jon Fletcher awaiting his magic touch. A late model gold head Dart that needs a shaft repair, and several Allbon Javelins awaiting radial mounts. His mounts have a nice locking ring that stops the thing unscrewing if you get a bit flooded-which is always a pain with the standard one.

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'