Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Sliver swallow fuel

Old 10-29-2009, 09:47 PM
matt123456

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sliver swallow fuel

I have found an old and don't konw what fuel to use. It is 2.47CC. I read somewhere to use aether, kerosene and castor oil. I don't know if thats right or what percentage to use. Can anybody help me?

Old 10-30-2009, 12:10 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Sliver swallow fuel

ORIGINAL: matt123456
I have found an old and don't konw what fuel to use. It is 2.47CC. I read somewhere to use aether, kerosene and castor oil. I don't know if thats right or what percentage to use. Can anybody help me?
Matt,

I would suggest you use commercial ready-mixed diesel fuel until you learn to operate your diesel engine. Otherwise, a good mix for your Silver Swallow is 30% ether, 25% castor oil, and the remainder kerosene. Add a couple of percent cetane booster like amyl nitrate if you can find it.

If this is the Silver Swallow you have, mine is an easy starting sport engine. I like a 9x4 or 8x6 prop.

George
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76527.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	1304685  
Old 10-30-2009, 12:56 AM
mike109

G'day I'd agree with George. I have a 1.5cc Silver Swallow and it runs well on a similar mixture to that which George suggested. Sadly in Australia where I am, commercial fuel is hard to find and expensive and tends to be a bit light on for oil and ether so I mix my own. Lately Amyl Nitrate has been impossible to get and Amyl Nitrite is also hard to find but Diesel Ignition Improver intended for use in automotive diesel engines seems to work well in similar amounts (ie 1 to 2 %).

The old fallback of equal parts ether, kero and castor seems to work well with some engines too.

Back when I was using Super Tigre diesels, my standard fuel was 20 oil, 30 ether and 50 kero plus 2% amyl nitrate.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:27 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The old classic model diesel fuel is 33% ether, 33% kerosene and 33% castor oil. You can reduce the castor oil to 20% and up the kerosene percentage to compensate. of course variations on this formula exist.

You can usually find starter fluid for the big diesel trucks Ok at truck stops and auto-parts stores. The starter fluid contains mostly ether of course. If castor oil is tough or impossible to find, you can substitute extra virgin olive oil for the castor oil.

The plain bearing lapped iron piston engines work best with higher oil percentages of like 25% to 33% with 27% being fairly common. Especially when the engine has a lot of hours on it from useage and is getting pretty worn down.

I would strongly suggest using a premixed ready to go model diesel fuel at first, until at least you figure out how to start and run the engine OK without trouble. www.davisdieseldevelopment.com sells the fuel and through www.towerhobbies.com
Then with a good reference to go by you can start mixing your own fuels.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:48 AM
matt123456

Yes that is what i have except mine is pink instead of blue. Will this fuel be expensive? Do they sell it at hobby shops?
Old 10-30-2009, 01:07 PM
earlwb

I don't think any local hobby shops in the USA sell model diesel fuel anymore. Unless they have a sizeable diesel engine contingent in their area.
They might order some for you though. it depends on the hobby shop.
here is Tower Hobbies webpage for diesel fuel
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUMU5&P=ML

Davis DieselDevelopment sells the fuel too of course, plus they have quart containers too. but the gallon is more cost effective.
http://davisdieseldevelopment.com/price_list.html

Old 10-30-2009, 02:36 PM
maxtenet

check this website,

http://www.carlsonengineimports.net/...eselinfo.shtml

Its all you need to know
Old 10-30-2009, 05:05 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1/3-1/3-1/3 mix is not needed 33% castor is not needed use Davis 1/2A mix available in qts martin
Old 10-30-2009, 10:17 PM
matt123456

If I were to buy the fuel from tower hobbies, would i have to add oil and ether to it? or what?
Old 10-30-2009, 10:20 PM
matt123456

ORIGINAL: gcb

ORIGINAL: matt123456
Matt,

I would suggest you use commercial ready-mixed diesel fuel until you learn to operate your diesel engine. Otherwise, a good mix for your Silver Swallow is 30% ether, 25% castor oil, and the remainder kerosene. Add a couple of percent cetane booster like amyl nitrate if you can find it.

If this is the Silver Swallow you have, mine is an easy starting sport engine. I like a 9x4 or 8x6 prop.

George
Where do you buy your fuel? Is it already mixed or do you mix it?
Old 10-31-2009, 07:39 AM
earlwb

matt123456,
   You do not need tio do anything to the fuel from Tower. it is ready to go right out of the can.
They use the term "premix" for fuel that has been premixed for you to use.
There is a "concentrate" version of the fuel too. In this case you add in the appropriate amount of kerosene to the "concentrate" and then you are ready to go.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:48 AM
gcb

I have a different opinion. The pre-mix from tower is for BB ABC engines and you have an iron/steel plain bearing engine. You should be using the "1/2 A" mix from Davis. For this reason I would suggest adding some castor to the fuel.

Tower sells Davis diesel fuel in gallons, which will go a loooong way in a 2.5cc diesel. I would suggest decanting your fuel into a quart metal can with one ounce of castor added to the can. Klotz BeNOL castor oil is available from Tower, if you are ordering from them.

Other sources of fuel are Ed Carlson of Carlson Engine Imports (quarts and gallons), Eric Clutton (Dr. Diesel). Perhaps Davis still sells direct also. I have bought from Davis and Carlson, but I've read good reports on both Tower and Eric Clutton also.

Another point...you need "diesel" fuel tubing also. Diesel fuel makes silicone tubing swell. Tygon and neoprene are good. Anyone who sells diesel fuel probably sells tubing also. And lets not forget the fuel dispenser. Pylon makes a bulb of neoprene for gasoline and diesel fuel.

George
Old 11-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Lou Crane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Matt,

Silver Swallow engine instructions recommend initial break-in using the 1 : 1 : 1 mix of ether, kerosene and castor, but for a well-broken-in engine they suggest a mix of 32.5% ether, 40% kerosene, 25% castor, and the remaining 2.5% an ignition improver.

Davis 1/2A fuel should certainly have plenty of ether - very small diesels like a lot of ether! It should also have very suitable kerosene and castor %s, and have a good ignition improver. Ignition improvers are hard to get, and can be pretty nasty chemicals to handle by themselves. Blended into fuel already, no sweat...

If your Silver Swallow is never-run brand new, an ounce extra castor per pint should cover the mfr recommendation about extra oil for early break-in. And, one pint would probably cover the intial break-in running time... If your engine has been run in already, get any of the fuels mentioned in this thread and go to it. Bob Davis has an excellent guide to the care and feeding of diesels, as Does Eric Clutton (Dr. Diesel), the US Rep for British PAW diesels.

I have a pink head 2.46 or 2.47 SS. At least 30 years old, not in constant use, but still a dependable great runner and easy to handle.

Luck!
Old 11-04-2009, 08:47 PM
gcb

Matt,

Here is an excellent diesel site where you can reference almost everything about diesels, including break-in.

http://www3.telus.net/dieselcombat/index.htm

George