RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Everything Diesel (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/everything-diesel-87/)
-   -   Looking for Les Saxby and Derek Giles. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/everything-diesel-87/10699877-looking-les-saxby-derek-giles.html)

nitroairplane 09-03-2011 12:41 PM

Looking for Les Saxby and Derek Giles.

Hi guys I have noticed that there are some members who are very knoledgeable about whats going on in the diesel world so i was wondering if anyone had any form of contact for either Derek Giles or Les Saxby I have tried to contact both through youtube and other English forums. I have also done some other digging but to no avail.
I would love to go to Old Warden or Cockle Barrow farm FF but that will not be feasible this year.
So i was wondering if anyone on here had any form of contact for these two men.
Thank you for any help you can give.

Diesel Die-hard 09-03-2011 05:04 PM

RE: Looking for Les Saxby and Derek Giles.

Working on it ..............

nitroairplane 09-04-2011 02:09 AM

Diesel Die-hard 09-05-2011 09:47 AM

<div style="text-align: justify"><font size="2" face="Arial">Still chasing down Les Saxby - he may have moved. I don't know if he's still making small engines - he's been working for many years now on a full-scale replica of some kind of Nieuport aircraft. A mate of mine who has met him is trying to trackhim down .................... I'm pretty sure that he's not on email, so you'll have to call him up or mail him. If you call, be warned that he apparently earns gold medals for taliking!!

I have one of Les's 1/10 scale Mills engines - the Gnat of 0.13 cc displacement. A truly superb piece of work! There was also the Nipper of different design and slightly larger displacement. I don't know about Les's other models.

I'm reliably informed that Derek Giles is alive and well and still making small engines. However, he's now retired and hence has lost the use ofthe facilities of his employers' workshop. So he no longer has the ability to hog out multiple crankcases as he did previously.Conequently,hisproduction is far less. than it was.I've never met him, but Derek is apparently a great guy with a mischievous sense of humour.His last reported location was:
</font></div><div style="text-align: justify"><font size="2" face="Arial">Derek Giles</font></div><div style="text-align: justify"><font size="2" face="Arial">64A Station Road</font></div><div style="text-align: justify"><font size="2" face="Arial">Bow Brickhall</font></div><div style="text-align: justify"><font size="2" face="Arial">Milton Keynes</font></div><div style="text-align: justify"><font size="2" face="Arial">MK17 9JT</font></div><div style="text-align: justify"><font size="2" face="Arial">ENGLAND</font></div><div style="text-align: justify"><font size="2" face="Arial">Tel 0044 [0]1908 374494</font></div><div style="text-align: justify"></div><div style="text-align: justify"><font size="2" face="Arial">People who know him say that it'shighly unlikely that Derek does email!! No-one seems to have an email address for him, at any rate. If you find out to the contrary, please let us know!

Good luck!! </font></div>

nitroairplane 09-05-2011 12:20 PM

Thank you so so so much i have been chasing Derek Giles' work for a while now and i know he makes mills engines on 0.13cc and 0.07cc
as well as a 0.6cc twin amongst other diesels and sparkers including one very interesting looking front rotary long stroke that looks a lot like a mills.
I have found a youtube channel owned by Giles' son but it has not been active for over a year it does have currently my favourite video on youtube here it is,
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2th-VsuElU[/youtube]
I have also found an account linked to Saxby in some way including some of his engines.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svZ0sC6PDGA[/youtube]
from what i have found out the engine in the last video is made by Saxby.
 i think i will send MR Giles a letter before phoning him because i know that most people prefer letters to unsolicited phone calls.
If it is at all in My price range i am looking for one of his 0.07cc mills like in the first video.
Once again thank you so much and if there is any info you need that i may know just ask and ill see what i can do.
Kind regards,
Indra.
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Diesel Die-hard 09-07-2011 07:09 PM

<div style="text-align: justify"><span style="font-size: medium"><span style="font-family: Arial">OK, I'm reliably informedthat Les Saxby's current contact info is:
</span></span></div><div><span style="font-size: medium"><span style="font-family: Arial">
Les Saxby,</span></span></div><div style="text-align: justify"><span style="font-size: medium"><span style="font-family: Arial">Moonlight Cottage,</span></span></div><div style="text-align: justify"><span style="font-size: medium"><span style="font-family: Arial">The Street,</span></span></div><div style="text-align: justify"><span style="font-size: medium"><span style="font-family: Arial">Hulver,</span></span></div><div style="text-align: justify"><span style="font-size: medium"><span style="font-family: Arial">Beccles, </span></span></div><div style="text-align: justify"><span style="font-size: medium"><span style="font-family: Arial">Suffolk.</span></span></div><div style="text-align: justify"><span style="font-size: medium"><span style="font-family: Arial">NR34 7UE</span></span></div><div style="text-align: justify"><span style="font-size: medium"><span style="font-family: Arial">UK</span></span></div><div style="text-align: justify"><span style="font-size: medium"><span style="font-family: Arial">
</span></span></div><div style="text-align: justify"><span style="font-size: medium"><span style="font-family: Arial">Phone 044 (0)1502 476 368</span></span></div><div style="text-align: justify"><span style="font-size: medium"><span style="font-family: Arial">
His email address is (or perhaps was): [email protected]

However, I hear that he has been having trouble with his email lately, so it might be best to write to him as you plan to do with Derek Giles. I agree that letters are far more polite than unsolicited phone calls or even emails.

Let us know how you make out!!</span></span></div>

nitroairplane 09-08-2011 12:33 PM

That is great info, thank you so much i hope to get a Giles 0.07cc for myself as a Christmas present when the time comes.<div>I would be aiming to get one this week or at least soon but last night i bought a Blitz 0.05cc so Xmas is my next excuse for getting an expensive engine.</div><div>The blitz will be my smallest when it arrives.</div><div>But once again thank you so much you have some great sources when i do get into contact with them i will let you know the outcome and try and post some pics.</div><div>I shall also try and post pics of the blitz when it comes if you guys like.</div><div>Thank you.</div>

Diesel Die-hard 09-08-2011 12:37 PM

If you think the Blitz is small, you should see a Nano Bee 0.006 cc (and no, I didn't get the number of zeros wrong)!! It makes the Blitz look pretty large ...............

Recycled Flyer 09-08-2011 02:08 PM

Would make a good tie pin ........... and isn't that something Cox did a similarly small engine?

nitroairplane 09-09-2011 01:41 PM

Diesel diehard.
yeah i seen the nano bee i made a thred about it a few months ago i think that you sad you had one and you ran it once.
Recycled flyer cox did make one it was the tee dee .010 it was 0.16cc the one i was talking about is 0.05cc it is only a third of the cox one.

Diesel Die-hard 09-09-2011 07:57 PM

The Nano Bee would serve as the head of a Cox .010 tie-pin! The thing is almost impossibly small! You have to be really careful with it, because if you dropped it onto a carpet with a pile of any thickness, you'd never find it again!

nitroairplane 09-10-2011 12:41 AM

the nano bee weighs 1gram the tee dee .010 weighs 19.
what fuel did you use for thae nano bee?must have been about 50% ether.

Diesel Die-hard 09-10-2011 08:05 AM

50% ether, 20% kerosene, 30% castor, then I added 3% improver to the overall mix. I used a 1 1/2in. dia. aluminium prop.

nitroairplane 09-10-2011 11:40 AM

Ok i thought it must be about 50% ether.<div>I ran my DiVa 0.098 cc today it was nice.</div><div>i cant wait for the blitz to arrive.</div><div>Did yours say Adrian Duncan on the box?</div>

Diesel Die-hard 09-10-2011 04:07 PM

Yes it did!

nitroairplane 09-12-2011 12:40 PM

cool i was only wondering because the one on the ebay auction said it too so he must have photographed yours.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Valenti...item4840f69613
thank you i might try a 2 third scale tom thumb for it if i decide to run it.

Recycled Flyer 09-12-2011 02:09 PM

ORIGINAL: Diesel Die-hard

Yes it did!
Don't keep him in suspence mate!

nitroairplane 09-13-2011 12:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Recycled Flyer

ORIGINAL: Diesel Die-hard

Yes it did!
Don't keep him in suspence mate!
Suspense?

nitroairplane 09-20-2011 08:23 AM

Hi I have contacted Derek Giles' son via a forum that we both use in the UK and he said he is no longer selling the engines.<div>so i suppose i will contact les Saxby.</div><div>I wish he still made them because i really want one of those mills 0.07cc.</div><div>however i have heard that Saxby was trying a 0.07cc gnat a few year ago.</div><div>thank you for your help,</div><div>Indra.</div>

nitroairplane 11-26-2011 12:07 PM

Well I just received this eMail from Les.<div><span style="border-collapse: collapse; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; ">"Hello Indra, Sorry for the delay in sending a reply to you regarding my .13cc GNAT DIESELS.
  I have not made any small diesels for many years, the last GNAT was made 21 years ago.
 The price was £100, which means I was working for £3 an hour, I think you will agree that it was a very poor return!
  I am still very interested in model diesels, but I have not done any real work on them for a couple of years.
   My model engine work has had to take a back seat to my main project, which is building a full size nieuport 17 ww1 fighter.
  I dont think I will be making any more GNAT's, as I made a total of 80 all told.
   I have a plan to make an engine half the size of the GNAT. The capacity will be .075cc, very tiny indeed,
  I have had trouble in getting access to my e-mails, hence the delay in replying to your enquiry.

Best wishes.   LES SAXBY"</span></div><div><span style="border-collapse: collapse; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; ">so thats another source dried up for now anyway.</span></div>

fiery 11-26-2011 07:49 PM

It is an unfortunate fact that as these highly talented engineers get older and pass, the engines that are available to us new, as limited run products of care, skill and enthusiasm, will become fewer in number and range.

That is the way of things. I am glad to know I have a few of these engineering marvels, both new and old, and will enjoy them for as long as I have left. They will then pass to another enthusiast.

The same cannot be said of Li-po powered e-motors, I think. Pretty much disposable as far as I can see.

nitroairplane 11-27-2011 07:48 AM

yep micro E-motors are NEVER cherished but the good news is that Les is planning to make some others in the future where most people are not hopefully when I retire or get less buisy and better on a lathe I can make some little engines,<div>Indra</div>

modellersdaughter 08-06-2015 09:16 AM

Thank you for your compliments about my lovely dad Derek Giles. My brother is correct, no more engines!
No wonder his work is awesome; Since the age of 17 our utterly clever dad dabbled in his hobby until he 'hogged out multiple crankcases' and only made his engines through sheer pleasure, but it wasn't a production line! For such a demand there must be methods by which others equally as dedicated can learn this skill and continue in the model making/precision engineer industry to give it the justice it deserves. He wouldn't have jeopardised his employment by using their workshop, we did need food on the table and a family life.
Good luck in your engine search and happy flying, don't forget to wear your maroon bobble and yellow sun hats!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkjPHiKHJ2c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2th-VsuElU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZnuP1uMwQI

coriolan 08-07-2015 06:46 PM

modellersdaughter

Thank for those videos of your father's engines&models:D Specially that one: https://youtu.be/FkjPHiKHJ2c

modellersdaughter 08-09-2015 03:59 PM

You're more than welcome. Im happy to pass on any message via this site. He doesn't use the internet but is still passionate in modelling and catching up with his modelling friends.

I've seen lots of posts on here about him (mainly about Mills engines) - it was only ever a hobby for himself which grew through his own interest - it was never intended to go international. From what I can gather on here I think people thought it was his profession! Then my brother saw some of dads work on ebay that he had made for a couple of 'friends' (some 'friends' are very greedy it seems!). He has also loved boats, built and put me in one when I was young and sailed me on a lake - I think the authorities would have something to say about that these days! He also spent a lot of time on RC cars as my brother competed RC racing over the country and found himself repairing/making parts for a lot of the club members.
Thank you for your interest.