RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Everything Diesel (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/everything-diesel-87/)
-   -   Ron Chernich (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/everything-diesel-87/11596351-ron-chernich.html)

Motorboy 03-17-2014 09:44 AM

Ron Chernich

Ron Chernich passed away at 1:30 on Saturday morning.

Ron will be greatly missed by so many of us: his knowledge of model engine making that he freely shared with us through his monthly publication of Model Engine News was outstanding.

ffkiwi 03-17-2014 02:25 PM

Yes he will be greatly missed-moreover the dignity and calm acceptance with which he faced his last few months of life should be an inspiration to the rest of us. His website is unique-there is nothing else comparable on the net-a mecca for model engine enthusiasts, restorers, historians and engine builders.

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'

fiery 03-17-2014 11:13 PM

Ron Chernich

Many 'classic' engines were read about, talked about, and dreamed about; by myself when I was a young modeller.

Living in remote areas I never saw most of them until the last 15 years, following the advent of the internet.

I did learn (and I still am learning) about many of those engines directly from Ron's site. There I also discovered many I had never heard of.

What a valuable legacy Ron has left us all.

I hope his MEN site will be hosted for some time to come. I would like to think that perhaps a new editor could take it on, and carry the baton forward.

dennis 03-20-2014 02:29 PM

Perhaps it's best to give a link to the site so that they can see what Ron accomplished with his marvelous site.

http://modelenginenews.org/index.html

Dan Vincent 04-23-2014 03:41 AM

Sorry to hear of Ron's passing. He was a great guy and his site was a valuable source of information for many of us.

fiery 04-23-2014 02:35 PM

Unfortunately his site is also defunct.

Hopefully some one can take it on and find a new host for it.

ffkiwi 04-26-2014 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by fiery (Post 11789265)
Unfortunately his site is also defunct.

Hopefully some one can take it on and find a new host for it.

This must have happened very recently-I was on his site only a few days ago-definitely less than a week ago. Judging by comment made earlier, I got the impression that Adrian Duncan-and perhaps some others-were going to ensure its continuation.......? Don't know who took the decision to pull the plug-unless the webhosting ISP hadn't been paid since December.....

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'

fiery 04-26-2014 09:46 PM

Some good news. For those of us who have enjoyed the MEN site and wish to see it remain available I have been advised by David Owen as follows:

"The ModelEngineNews site has not disappeared permanently.

There is a technical hiccup in the ICANN transfer from Ron Chernich to

myself, as Adminstrator. This is currently being addressed and should soon result in the
re-appearance of MEN."

ffkiwi 04-26-2014 10:07 PM

That is really good news, Dereck

Dan Vincent 04-27-2014 01:53 AM

Glad to hear David Owen is taking over. The information and history needs to be preserved.

KnifeEdge51 04-28-2014 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Vincent (Post 11791664)
Glad to hear David Owen is taking over. The information and history needs to be preserved.

Indeed. I'm not an engine builder, but I enjoy reading the articles on the site, and have learned a TON of information from there in the past year or so, simply by browsing around. Glad to see it will be preserved for some time to come. :)

fiery 04-29-2014 04:45 PM

A further update Gents. Direct from David Owen:

"Hello all

Ron Chernich's original <modelenginenews.com> is up and running again under my management with capable Tech assistance from Tony O'Hagon.

Full details of registration changes will be published soon.

There has been no change to the site itself and all previous content is available.

Regards

David Owen"

I am really looking forward to David's contribution to the Site.

Lou Crane 04-30-2014 11:56 PM

Fiery,

Thanks for the promising word, and my best wishes for all good things to David Owen and Tony O'Hagon!

/s/ Just one more who will miss Ron C...