RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Everything Diesel (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/everything-diesel-87/)
-   -   Need diesel engine parts (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/everything-diesel-87/11656208-need-diesel-engine-parts.html)

quietflyer 11-03-2018 05:03 PM

Need diesel engine parts

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...0ab51290ff.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...e8bd4c9392.jpg
Hi,
I am looking for the following parts:
- DC Dart crankshaft (red head)
- Connecting rod for a PAW 09 Mk1 r/c (Blue head) plain bearing model as I don't see a BR or TBR marked on the lugs. Apparently there were a few versions of the 09 over the years.
If you have any of the above and willing to part, please PM me.
Thanks

qazimoto 11-06-2018 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by quietflyer (Post 12475786)

Hi,
I am looking for the following parts:
- DC Dart crankshaft (red head)
- Connecting rod for a PAW 09 Mk1 r/c (Blue head) plain bearing model as I don't see a BR or TBR marked on the lugs. Apparently there were a few versions of the 09 over the years.
If you have any of the above and willing to part, please PM me.
Thanks

PAW still have conrods for that engine. Not that it's much help. Mine had a crack (from new) where the crankpin was pressed int0 the crankweb. It was replaced but quickly "egged out" a series of conrods. Turns out that the crankpins were rarely set perpendicular to the piston/liner centreline. Same with the ballraced versions. Pity, because they're good strong little engines in between rod replacements. Perhaps PAW fixed the problem with later versions. Frankly the sheer frustration with dealing with them personally put me off completely.

quietflyer 11-06-2018 03:10 PM

Qazimoto,

Thanks for your input regarding PAW parts. I did manage to source the PAW connecting rod from a US source. Apparently, there were many versions of the PAW 09 or 149 over the years and the connecting rods had very minor differences, so one has to quote the correct model type when ordering.

As for the DC Dart, I haven't had much luck sourcing it. Would have to find someone local, willing to machine one at a reasonable cost. I was told that PAW once made a batch of crankshafts for the Darts and they were properly heat treated unlike the original DC. I will keep looking as you never know where they will pop up!

Regards,

Min

qazimoto 11-06-2018 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by quietflyer (Post 12476603)
Qazimoto,

Thanks for your input regarding PAW parts. I did manage to source the PAW connecting rod from a US source. Apparently, there were many versions of the PAW 09 or 149 over the years and the connecting rods had very minor differences, so one has to quote the correct model type when ordering.

As for the DC Dart, I haven't had much luck sourcing it. Would have to find someone local, willing to machine one at a reasonable cost. I was told that PAW once made a batch of crankshafts for the Darts and they were properly heat treated unlike the original DC. I will keep looking as you never know where they will pop up!

Regards,

Min

Yes, your PAW is called a plain bearing "Blue head". Remarkably it's actually heavier than the twin ball bearing version given it's full length cupreous bearing. I have a DC Dart parts engine with a good crank, but apart from the clapped p/l everything else is good. So it has some value, and I'm keeping it as a source of spares for my other Darts. The PAW .5cc is a nice little engine. I suspect that they're still made.

quietflyer 11-06-2018 03:45 PM

I have a NIB PAW 0.5 cc that I haven't run yet and I think it is still being made. I was referring to a PAW made crankshaft to fit the DC Dart. Anyone have one or heard of one?

qazimoto 11-06-2018 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by quietflyer (Post 12476611)
I have a NIB PAW 0.5 cc that I haven't run yet and I think it is still being made. I was referring to a PAW made crankshaft to fit the DC Dart. Anyone have one or heard of one?

Yes, I've heard of them but suspect that they often have to be hand fettled to make them fit given the variations in the original item. They were modified PAW .5 cc shafts. From the scuff marks on you Dart spinner nut I guessing that you've been using an electric starter?

quietflyer 11-06-2018 11:31 PM

I bought the used engine a few years ago on *bay and the spinner came like that. I must confess that I did use a Sullivan Hornet starter on occasion to get it going.

qazimoto 11-06-2018 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by quietflyer (Post 12476688)
I bought the used engine a few years ago on *bay and the spinner came like that. I must confess that I did use a Sullivan Hornet starter on occasion to get it going.

I think we secretally all use them on occasions.

fiery 11-07-2018 10:36 PM

I could not start an OTM Kolibri 0,8 c.c. diesel without my little Astro-Flite electric starter!

The day I eventually hand start it, I celebrated with a 'fist pump' into the air :D

quietflyer 11-08-2018 01:34 PM

I find it easier to hand start diesels 09 and up, and for the smaller ones I keep the Hornet handy. All it takes is a light bump with the starter to get them going.
Fiery, your Youtube videos are inspiring me to run my OTM 0.8cc soon!