Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Exceed RC Support - Helicopter
Reload this Page >

Blades hit the tail boom?!

Community
Search
Notices
Exceed RC Support - Helicopter Discuss all Helicopter Support for items purchased or will be purchasing at Exceed RC.

Blades hit the tail boom?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 01:54 AM
cflytrap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blades hit the tail boom?!

Anyone ever blow up a pair of blades while trimming and testing? I was testing cyclic controls on the bench at low throttle and my darn blades hit the tailboom yesterday and busted the tips off. put a nice dent in the boom too.

Do the exceed/walkera tx have any type of end point adjustment? My elevator servo blew a few days back from overextension I believe.

Had my eagle 50 a week now and have blown up 2 sets of blades, and had other malfunctons.

I'ma go fly my helimax450 tomorrow

I really love my eagle 50 though, just kinda depressed.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:11 PM
yadac123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Blades hit the tail boom?!

Helicopter turns by making changes to the flybar and main blade changes in pitch only. Heli turns only because flybar position changes.

Andy
Old 05-20-2008, 04:53 PM
RobBeach

"Anyone ever blow up a pair of blades while trimming and testing?
Had my eagle 50 a week now and have blown up 2 sets of blades, an
I'ma go fly my helimax450 tomorrow "

So you have flown helicopters and trimmed them up before ?????
and you didn't secure the blades securely enough that you let them hit the boom ???

Sounds like you didn't know what you were doing.... and there's plenty of instruction about
securing the blades in a proper manner.. in many many messages all over the this
website.
If you are flying a helimax450 then it must have been a mistake you made on your own
that caused the problem and no problem with the helicopter itself.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:27 AM
cflytrap

Yeah I have came to that conclusion too. after my first crash with my eagle 50 the elevator servo has been kinda notchy. I also kinda messed up the pit and plt so that one extra click on the throttle made too big of a change and caused the model to pop up and roll on its side. I should have secured my heli to the bench better for one thing. I also regret not being patient enough to wait for my new servo to arrive.

My helimax is super easy to fly. I have an old friend who is a veteran pilot that set it up for me and I have not crashed it yet so it flies nice. very stable and has a head locking gyro so I barely have to give it any rudder input. I just kina rock side to side with the cyclic for a few mins and set it down. nothing fancy yet. My buddy stands by and helps me if I get into trouble.

I am a new pilot. I am like an absorbent sponge reading info on these forums. It is hard when you are excited as I am about the hobby to be disciplined and patient enough to not cut corners. The blade tracking, pitch, weight balance and everything else is set up square and perfect.I am still trying to bring the heli back to a docile PIT and PLT setting thru trial and error. any tips on that would be the most helpful thing I could benefit from. for example, what degree of positive pitch should the blades be at at 50% throttle and hovering? how much should it be at 100%?

Thanks for the advice everyone, I appriciate it all.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:25 AM
RobBeach

One thing I do and recommend especially for beginners is to turn the PIT up a notch or so and turn down the PLT.
This makes the heli less jumpy off the ground, and act a bit like a fix pitch heli.
Once you get the feel for the heli then play around with the PLT and make the PIT flat...
But you are flying the other bird so have a handle on the controls.

Theoretically the blades should be flat at zero throttle up to 50%... at 50% throttle the PLT...
or the CCPM comes into effect. That is past 50% throttle.. as you increase the throttle the pitch increase.
The magnitude of the pitch change.. or the range of the pitch change is adjusted by the PLT knob.
Less PLT... less change of the pitch as you increase the throttle past 50% (you probably already know this.)
The exact angle I couldn't tell you... I just do it by feel. If I am on a large field then then I want the blades
flat at zero to 50% throttle and give it more PLT. In my back yard I make it fly more like a fixed pitch
heli so I have more control in close quarters or a windy day. But thats just me.

Oh yeah if you haven't read my other posts... save those broken blades that came with the heli.
You can rip them apart and inside are carbon fiber rods that you can reuse for either training gear struts
or replacement for rear struts.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:16 PM
AZheli

Take a look at your rotor head. Is there any wobble in it?

I have done extensive fitting, adjusting and balancing on my Eagle 50, and have almost flown it. I've checked & found bent rotor shafts & have gotten replacements thru Yadac123[sm=thumbs_up.gif] Everything balances out OK initially, but eventually some rotor wobble creeps in. The setscrew secures the 2 piece rotor hub, but the 3 o-rings secured within the knurled collar seem to crush down enough to cause it to all loosen up and begin wobbling.

I have a spare head built & ready to drop in, and seem to spend more time swapping them out & rebuilding them than I do actually attempting to fly.

On the last flight, last month, the head loosened up as I was about to congratulate myself on a successful hover, when it lost control and a blade strike ended the flight. The tail has a huge ding in it, is destined to remain a little bent, and the (TIGHT when I installed it) rotor head wobbles enough to give the blades enough travel into the tail plane.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there something better than the o-rings - like maybe stuffing in a piece of more rigid silicone tubing that would cinch down & keep the head securely centered?