Notices
Exceed RC Support - Nitro Cars Discuss all Nitro Car Support for items purchased or will be purchasing at Exceed RC.

what is afterrun oil?

Old 10-03-2007, 03:43 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: what is afterrun oil?

ORIGINAL: nitro61

i have to agree with everybody else dude wd-40 is the exact same thing as after run oil go and read that thing called a label and then we can talk(that is in reply to eroof or what ever his name is)
where on the label does wd40 say "use for nitro engines after running"? or something similar? i have a few cans and a gallon in my shop and i dont see it anywhere, i may be mistaken then, my screen name is ehroof or you can call me eddie if you would like.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:59 PM
ehroof

i just want to say something, i am not here to fight or bicker, i am here to give advice, most of the time good advice. i am in this hobby for many years, i started out when i was less than 10 years old with line control planes then rc planes, cars and now you name it, i own it, i am 38 now. I help redcat out on thier forum and came here since some of you come to the redcat one looking for help. You can use what you want, i just dont want to see you guys messing up your rc's or learning the wrong stuff, there is a reason they make after run oil, its that simple, your not talking about a big money item so why not just get the after run? Sorry this had to turn into such a big deal. I in now way profit from rc either, i am redcat support but i dont get paid and if i reccomend a place to buy from i dont get a kickback. I am a GC (general contractor) in NYC and do RC for fun, not profit.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:22 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's no seals inside your nitro engine to ruin. Matter of fact because if it's great cleaning and lubricating properties and the FACT that there are no seals inside your nitro engine to ruine is a GREAT reason to use it. Transmission fluid AND "after RUN" oil are both detergents designed to CLEAN and lubricate. The reason an engine that has had after run oil used on it consistantlly is clean inside is BECAUSE of it's (strange coincidence) cleaning and (another strange coincidence) lubricating properties. If you are running Traxxas fuel I would stronglly recommend useing either Transmission fluid or "after run" oil to help keep the unburnt ignitors in the fuel from building up inside the engine.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:28 PM
ehroof

i think a gasket would be a seal but what do i know. you can use the trans fluid or wd40 and i will keep using good ole after run.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:36 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Sounds like a good idea. Good luck and happy spending.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:40 PM
ehroof

sometimes an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of gold, i like my gold as do most people. Its worth spending an extra $2 every year for peace of mind.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:53 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

I dont think some clown just came up with an oil and called it afterrun oil. It more than likely went through some testing. I would rather use something that has been tested instead of going to the local auto parts store and picking something of the shelf and saying,,, this should work.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:56 PM
allenthen831

ORIGINAL: Clermont Hobby

I dont think some clown just came up with an oil and called it afterrun oil. It more than likely went through some testing. I would rather use something that has been tested instead of going to the local auto parts store and picking something of the shelf and saying,,, this should work.
AGREED
Old 10-03-2007, 08:18 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

OMG, uh ok, you guys sling what you need to and brain wash away. LOL. What a joke just to make a buck.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:23 PM
ehroof

the funny part is who is making a buck? lol, i dont have a hobby store, i have nothing to gain from this. who's brain washing, i just want people to use the proper materials so they dont ruin their engines, whats the harm in people using after run oil?? Its funny how YOU make is sound wrong, improper. Just let them use the proper thing, nobody is looking to make money off this, just want to inform people to use the proper thing.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:34 PM
allenthen831

ORIGINAL: AllAboutFunHobbies

OMG, uh ok, you guys sling what you need to and brain wash away. LOL. What a joke just to make a buck.
all i have to say is oh wow i dont see why shouldnt the kid use after run oil they made it for a reason and tested it
Old 10-03-2007, 08:41 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

I'm not trying to make a buck off after run oil or engines. I always use transmission fluid or 3 in one if in a pinch and don't happen to have it on me at the time. Never blown an engine yet, sold a couple hundred Redcat cars, I always tell them when the after run oil is gone from your starter kit use transmission fluid, haven't had one blown engine, Not one that doesn't start in one or two pulls, matter of fact I don't have one unsatisfied customer we have 110% satifaction rate and We have a rep in the metro plex were not allowed in some of the local stores, because WE "stole" ,as they put it, all there customers, because of the way we run our business, I gues they don't like it when you treat people right and help them save a buck or two, by uncovering the hidden truths and demistifying how oil works. Some people just just don't like it when they're wrong and won't admit it. But that's cool.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:47 PM
ehroof

lol, sorry but i will disagree with you no matter what you say, no matter how great your business is, after run oil is Made to put in your nitro engine after you run it, automatic trans fluid is NOT and WD40 is NOT, case closed, how can you keep arguing the fact. How am i wrong, what should i admit to? Your not making any sense.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:52 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

LOL, your tripping calm down. It's cool, your right the rest of the world is wrong about how oil works. Your the man.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:58 PM
ehroof

i am very calm, i have no problems, just want to make sure people get the proper advice, after run oil for after you run your nitro, no more no less, no one is tripping, not me anyways, keep the transmission fluid for your automatic.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:11 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Ok
Old 10-04-2007, 10:14 AM
ehroof

Old 10-04-2007, 02:20 PM
{GBI}Harryball

ORIGINAL: ehroof

lol, sorry but i will disagree with you no matter what you say, no matter how great your business is, after run oil is Made to put in your nitro engine after you run it, automatic trans fluid is NOT and WD40 is NOT, case closed, how can you keep arguing the fact. How am i wrong, what should i admit to? Your not making any sense.
Read the WD40 can youll see. Listen folks, everyone has an opinion on this. WD40 is what i use. That being said use what you want. After run, Tranny fluid, or WD, hell you can use break away if you want. Ehroof and clermont, if you really think after run is any different than tranny fluid an article would be nice. Otherwise its the same stuff. Ehroofs test works the same with after run and tranny fluid.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:04 PM
ehroof

i think the burden of proof is on you, everyone knows after run oil is made for your nitro after you run. tranny fluid and wd40 were not made for that.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:34 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

HEY MAN, that's my test, LOL, get the facts straight, man, LMAO.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:02 PM
ehroof

ORIGINAL: {GBI}Harryball

ORIGINAL: ehroof

Read the WD40 can youll see. Listen folks, everyone has an opinion on this. WD40 is what i use. That being said use what you want. After run, Tranny fluid, or WD, hell you can use break away if you want. Ehroof and clermont, if you really think after run is any different than tranny fluid an article would be nice. Otherwise its the same stuff. Ehroofs test works the same with after run and tranny fluid.
how did it work with the after run and the wd40 like i said to do? wd wont mix with the moisture
Old 10-04-2007, 05:45 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Oh ok, now I'm confused, LMAO. What the heck are you guys talking about.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:12 PM
ehroof

lol, i said to mix afo with water and wd40 with water, afo will mix with water and turn milky, wd will push the water away but wont mix with it.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:22 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Oh, I said that a long time ago, way back at the begining of this managery of B.S. It has the same properties as Transmission fluid and some of the other oils mentioned. But it won't stay like that, after a few hours or days it will seperate like oils tend to do with water. The whole idea here is to displace the water how ever to get it away from the metal and keep the internals lubed.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:28 PM
ToyDestroyer

http://wd40.com/pdfs/WD-40_2000UsesList.pdf
Here is a list of things that WD40 can be used for that is also not listed on the can. I think you will find at least a few on that list about boat engines. If it can protect metal that is constantly exposed to water then why can't it protect a RC engine from a couple drops of water?

Ehroof please coduct your own test and report on the results. No matter what the results I can tell you I already know the outcome. Transmission fluid/after run oil will get milky if you add water and shake. If you let it sit the water will seperate back out. Your argument is simple "It advertises that it will work the best so it must be the best so I will only use that". I got news for you not everything always works as advertised. Hell, slimfast promised to make people skinny in a week ("give us a week and we'll take off the weight") but somehow we still have fat people walking around (not meaning to insult anyone as I am not as fit as I once was).

I also need to point out that your thought on transmission fluid destroying gaskets is also WRONG!!! Let me point out that every automatic transmission has an oil pan. There is a gasket that keeps you from losing transmission fluid. Somehow that gasket is not disolved when it comes into contact with the fluid. There are also many other gaskets and seals inside of transmissions. Wow, did you know transmission fluid can also be used to replace power steering fluid. I wonder how that can be when it does not list that as a use on the tranny fluid bottle. The people who bottle after run oil have found that if you label a common product for a special purpose you can charge more and people will pay it.

I for one will stick with what I know works and continue to use WD40. If I have none on hand I have some ARO in my box as a just in case. As for your good/correct advise. Telling peolpe they need to more spend more on a little bottle of your miracle oil instead of telling them the truth (other oils will work just as well) is neither good nor correct advise.

The best advice I know is this. Use some sort of oil to protect your RC engine after you run it. Oils that will work include and may not be limited to transmission fluid, motor oil, WD40 and other spray lubricant/protectants, power steering fluid, and of course after run oil. Just add some kind of oil to push the moisture away from the metal and protect it from rusting. No oil will stay mixed with water or absorb it. If it where to stay mixed with the water, than the oil would have a certain water content and that oil/water mixture would itself cause rust. This would happen because although the water is not visible to you or I it is still there as the oil has not changed the waters molecular structure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.