RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Exceed RC Support - Nitro Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/exceed-rc-support-nitro-cars-472/)
-   -   what is afterrun oil? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/exceed-rc-support-nitro-cars-472/6273754-what-afterrun-oil.html)

danamotocross 08-22-2007 06:04 PM

what is afterrun oil?

what is after run oil? do you really NEED it?

AllAboutFunHobbies 08-22-2007 06:11 PM

RE: what is afterrun oil?

That's the oil you put in the engine at the end of the day when you are done running the car. You run it out of fuel at the end of the day and put about 4 or 5 drops in the carb and give the pull cord a few pulls to throw it around in the engine. If you don't use after run oil when you are done running then the inside of the engine will rust from sitting with no oil in it.

{GBI}Harryball 08-23-2007 06:55 AM

Nitro atracks mosture. Dont forget to pull the glow plug and put some in the motor as well. Give the pull cord a couple of pulls to make sure its gets all over the piston. :)

danamotocross 08-23-2007 11:47 AM

how will you know if it coats the whole engine?

{GBI}Harryball 08-23-2007 01:43 PM

It will, thats why you pull the pull start a fiew times. You can also use WD40 in it aswell, a one second stream in the carb and the motor will displace all the moisture. Thats what i use. :)

ehroof 08-23-2007 02:14 PM

dont use wd40, use after run oil, wd40 just displaces the water doesnt absorb it, only traxxas reccomends to use it. A bottle of after run costs a couple of dollars and will last a long time. nitro fuel attracts water if left over time in an engine so you want something that will get rid of it, not just move it around.

AllAboutFunHobbies 08-23-2007 05:19 PM

You can use transmission fluid for after run oil also it the same thing.

F.Y.I. there no such thing as an oil that removes water, all oils pretty much displace water since oil and water don't mix, there is no way for oil to remove water, it basically displaces the water off of the metal parts.

As long as you are using some sort of thin oil that will coat the metal good you will be good to go. I personally have used WD-40 (fish oil based), 3 in 1 oil, transmission fluid, 5w10 and of course after run oil. THey all produced the same effect, keep the inside pristeen and clean, rust free easy to start next time. I actually have customers that use all sorts of different oils for after run oil and none of them have had a problem. Just make sure you are using some sort of oil when you are done running for the day.

ehroof 08-23-2007 05:54 PM

well bro, you can use it in your stuff, but i will use after run oil in my stuff, just because you do it doesnt make it right. why would you want to give bad information to peope, especially people who are new to the hobby, why not just give them the proper information.

AllAboutFunHobbies 08-23-2007 06:34 PM

Don't start that crap over here. I'm not gonna play games with you any more like back in the day, you can go around pushing what ever garbgage you want. Just let it spew that's fine. Obviously you don't know what the properties of oil are or else you wouldn't be going around telling people that it makes the water "go away"(whatever that means).

ehroof 08-23-2007 06:39 PM

?? after run oil is designed to use in nitro engies "hence the name" after you run them. WD40 is not, plain and simple. No where on the can does it say to install or put into a nitro engine. why not just tell people the PROPER information and use after run oil? I dont think thats starting trouble.

AllAboutFunHobbies 08-23-2007 06:41 PM

Whatever Ehroof. Do your song and dance I know every thing and every one else is wrong thing.

ehroof 08-23-2007 06:43 PM

whatever bro, just give correct information to these guys, they are new to the hobby and need proper information in order to enjoy the hobby.

StephenW 08-23-2007 06:55 PM

w d40 works ok!

AllAboutFunHobbies 08-23-2007 06:56 PM

:D

ehroof 08-23-2007 06:59 PM

LOL wade, the local hobby stores call me for advice. and stephen, i am not trying to start trouble, i just want you to use the correct stuff and enjoy the hobby, wd40 is not the correct thing to use as after run oil.

AllAboutFunHobbies 08-23-2007 07:09 PM

ROTF, of course they call you, why wouldn't they.

ehroof 08-23-2007 07:13 PM

i wont argue with you wade, just make sure you give these guys the right information when they ask

AllAboutFunHobbies 08-23-2007 07:17 PM

I don't think you have to worry about that, I'll be sure to call you first for advice.

{GBI}Harryball 08-24-2007 06:26 AM

ORIGINAL: StephenW

w d40 works ok!
Yes it works and yes traxxas does say to use it, and to be honest if its good enough for them, its good enough. Afterrun oil is not brawny paper towel[sm=lol.gif] it doesnt absorb moisture, that has got to be the funniest thing ive ever heard. You can also use cyclo break away, thats a good choice as well. Someone needs to learn the properties of how these oils work before they start talking crap about it. :eek:

{GBI}Harryball 08-24-2007 06:41 AM

ORIGINAL: ehroof

whatever bro, just give correct information to these guys, they are new to the hobby and need proper information in order to enjoy the hobby.
Correct info. And your credits include? Just because you dont use it doesnt make it wrong. You might want to take a step back and find out what is in afterrun oil. Thats right your reinventing the wheel again. Sorry dude my bad[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

ehroof 08-24-2007 10:05 AM

another one giving great advice, after run does get rid of the moisture it doesnt just move it like wd40, you guys can use it if you want in your stuff but dont tell these guys to use it, let them use the proper stuff for it.

ehroof 08-24-2007 11:27 AM

here is some reading for the rest of you guys who what to LEARN the proper stuff:

http://www.awesomerccars.com/content...ars-seds.shtml

http://www.mdplanes.com/after_run_oil.htm

danamotocross 08-24-2007 11:46 AM

hahaha that convo was intense! but everyone thanks for all the info!

{GBI}Harryball 08-24-2007 11:52 AM

ORIGINAL: ehroof

here is some reading for the rest of you guys who what to LEARN the proper stuff:

http://www.awesomerccars.com/content...ars-seds.shtml

http://www.mdplanes.com/after_run_oil.htm
LOL, you might want to read the second article. LOL it just proves our point. LMAO.

This is the second article. I think allaboutfun mentioned tranny fluid and 3 in 1. HMMM I think we have LEARNED SOMETHING.

Should I use after run oil:

It is always a good idea to use some after run oil.
First let the tank run completely empty at idle until it runs out of fuel (try re-starting it several times).

Next put a few drops down the carb [open] and a few drops down the glow Plug hole (leave the plug out and put a rag over the top of the engine) and spin it over for 5 seconds on the starter box.

Last put a few more drops down the carb, reinstall the glow pug and spin the engine over 5 more seconds.

If you do not have a good after run oil, Marvel Mystery oil works great and can be had at any automotive or hardware store. Other substitutes would be automatic Trans fluid, 3in1 oil or Mineral oil from the drug store!

NEVER USE ANY OILS THAT CONTAIN SILICONE

ehroof 08-24-2007 02:11 PM

"If you do not have a good after run oil, Marvel Mystery oil works great and can be had at any automotive or hardware store. Other substitutes would be automatic Trans fluid, 3in1 oil or Mineral oil from the drug store!"

yes gbi, but i dont see a mention of wd40, thats what this is all about. Whatever man, you will defend each other no matter what!!!