RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Exceed RC Support - Nitro Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/exceed-rc-support-nitro-cars-472/)
-   -   new brushless driftstar... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/exceed-rc-support-nitro-cars-472/9453931-new-brushless-driftstar.html)

1ne8ighty2wo 01-27-2010 07:59 PM

new brushless driftstar...

I just got my brushless drift star in the mail. Do the batteries come charged, or do I have to charge them before use? Iask because when I turn on the car and the radio, Ihave control over the steering, but Ican't control the motor. Is there something I need to do to set it up, first? thanks!

mc4798 01-27-2010 08:29 PM

RE: new brushless driftstar...

i would charge the batteries first. then give it a go http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif

jr2k1983 01-27-2010 09:15 PM

sometimes the radio will not register with the ESC unless it is set at the right throttle trim.....there are two knobs on the front of the remote, when u turn on the car it will make a triple beep (up-down-up tone) and that activates the steering but the trim has to be set up right to set that, start by turning your bottom knob all the way to the left (counter clockwise) and turn on the car first after the first chime turn on the remoteand slowly make 1/8 turns on that knob pausing between about 5-6 seconds each turn until u hear a separate chime (down up down) which is the ESC accepting the throttle settings, once it chimes keep slowly turning until the car tries to move foward slightly then turn back just enough so it stops making noise/moving foward and your car should be ready.<div></div><div>hope this helps because i though mine was broke when i got it and now i found out it just needs to register the throttle to work!!!</div><div></div><div>have fun with ur driftstar</div><div></div><div>btw which body color did you decide on?</div>

1ne8ighty2wo 01-27-2010 09:29 PM

thanks! I got it working by fiddling with it. and i got the orange/black body.

one question about charging, though: how do I know when the battery is done charging? I plug it in the the red light on the charger starts blinking, will it stop blinking when it's done charging?

Also, is it bad that I ran down that battery when I first got it? Like will it mess up the overall lifespan of the battery? sorry for all the question, i'm brand new to electric

jr2k1983 01-27-2010 10:20 PM

with the regular battery its actually better to run it all the way out every once in a while to keep it from building a memory, most NiMh batteries are not as prone as the older Nicad, but still can after enough of partial drain/charging, the standard charger will turn from blinking red to a solid green when the battery is fully charged, sometimes when u really drain it let it cool down (about 1-2 hours off charger) and plug back in until solid green again. i got the orange/black body too and already put abuse on it lol....if you grab some rubber tires and rims for it the car is amazingly quick. the plastic drift are really slippery and i feel are too drifty for my taste so i went with regular/resin compound for more control......hope you have fun, i am!!!!!

1ne8ighty2wo 01-27-2010 10:34 PM

thanks! that's just the info I was looking for!

And I know what you mean about the slipperiness. I've only run it in my driveway and garage so far (garage has shiny concrete floor) and I'm hitting a bike or a chair every couple of turns, but it's still a blast! I can't wait to get it to an open parking lot to go all out with it. And with the tires that you changed to, are they made for drifting, just different material than the stock ones?

jr2k1983 01-27-2010 10:44 PM

the tires i have are:<div>http://cgi.ebay.com/1-10-RC-Car-X-PA...ht_2058wt_1024</div><div>
</div><div>but i ordered them from </div><div>http://www.r2hobbies.com</div><div>
</div><div>it was about 20 for both a set of rims and tires, well worth it and only downside was because they shipped from hong kong it was 2-3 weeks until i got them . </div><div>
</div><div>
</div><div>pre warning...once u get a little grip it will go MUCH faster on any surface and when u hit something it does break the body lol...i cracked my front end up bad with a hit on the curb but i will be starting on painting/installing some HPI bodies i bought for it.</div>

1ne8ighty2wo 01-27-2010 11:02 PM

Those are some sweet tires. I'll probably pick up a set after messing around with the stock ones for a while. Do they limit the drifting capabilities of the car because they aren't as slick?

jr2k1983 01-27-2010 11:42 PM

they tone the driftness down to a manageable level for me,,, i felt the regular stock ones werent drifting as much as just random spinning and luckily getting control every once in a while<div>
</div>

1ne8ighty2wo 01-27-2010 11:55 PM

Yeah I can see where you're coming from. Sounds good. I'll pick up a set pretty soon then. Which rims did you get for them?

jr2k1983 01-30-2010 06:44 PM

lol i have a bunch of rims already...the ones i run alot are actually topcad split 6's from www.integy.com (they were on clearance) ....but driftwise any +3mm offeset wheels would work just get ones that are your preferenace..and some 0mm rims have a tendancy to hang up on the a arms.  i had to shave the inside of 2 sets of wheels already until i can get some spacers

1ne8ighty2wo 01-30-2010 08:56 PM

I ended up buying those x-pattern tires from r2hobbies along with THESE WHEELS. I don't know about the offset on them so I suppose I'll see when they get here.