Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Miss RJ, Sky harbor...

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Miss RJ, Sky harbor...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 06:28 PM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Miss RJ, Sky harbor...

Well I picked up these two some years ago from a friend who bit off more then he could chew. I haven't done anything with them as i took a long break from the hobby... Well I'm back and it's time to do something with them. One was started and isn't to bad and the other is new in the box..

Just trying to figure out what motor combo would be good for this bird and what retracts to use or go with fixed gear, the specs are in one of the pics.. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk24917.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	1556095   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa84941.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1556096   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85330.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	1556097   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22056.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	1556098   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50838.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	1556099  
Old 01-30-2011, 10:08 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Miss RJ, Sky harbor...

Well, I was going to recommend the new YS 115 that's just now is in stock, but then I saw the wing area of 557" along with how sharp and thin the wing is. If you have a long runway fine because it will need to land hot with that big engine or it will stall. The flaps option may help, but don't count on it too much. I'd go with a Jett 56 and I bet it'll go at least 135mph. With that light engine plus flaps, it'll land easily.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:01 PM
Tony Pacini

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Miss RJ, Sky harbor...

Having built one complete, finished one that was framed, and helped with 2 others, I can tell a few things that have worked for us.

It'll fly well with a YS .91/1.10/1.15, and it'll fly even better with a YS 1.20/1.40. It's a slug with a 2-stroke 60.

As for retracts, that kit's got the scale laminar flow airfoil and it's really thin near the LE where the retracts need to go. BVMs will fit, and I think the prototype was built with Rhom FAI retracts.

Haven't seen one yet that landed "easily", including the prototypes. The gear are long........

The best part about that kit is that the firewall is very thick and the airframe will withstand tremendous engine power and vibration.

Have fun! It's a great warbird racer (that's what it was really designed for).