Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Roger Purcell's Scream Machine!!

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Roger Purcell's Scream Machine!!

Old 08-30-2019, 09:11 AM
  #101  
Avery81
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 38
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Scream

looks awesome!!! They are a blast everyone at my field loves it. Mine was built by roger himself in 2001. Engraved on the landing gear!!
Old 08-30-2019, 10:05 AM
  #102  
raymond48
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: , FL
Posts: 29
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Scream machine plans. Dug them out today. Will make copies to sell they are crude plans as you can see. They were hand written by Rodger Purcell as you can see. I will check on price for copies.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:53 AM
  #103  
rcpollo
My Feedback: (6)
 
rcpollo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Owings Mills, MD
Posts: 99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Avery81
looks awesome!!! They are a blast everyone at my field loves it. Mine was built by roger himself in 2001. Engraved on the landing gear!!
Mine, too! Saw it at Graves RC in Orlando a couple years ago, and it wouldn't let me leave without taking it home!
Old 08-30-2019, 01:18 PM
  #104  
Avery81
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 38
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by raymond48
Scream machine plans. Dug them out today. Will make copies to sell they are crude plans as you can see. They were hand written by Rodger Purcell as you can see. I will check on price for copies.
Iíd love to have a set when you get them ready send me a pm
Old 09-03-2019, 05:51 AM
  #105  
Lownverted
My Feedback: (4)
 
Lownverted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Palmdale, CA
Posts: 549
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by flygilmore
So I still check in here every once in a while. Is there anyone out there that could help a fellow obtain a set of plans etc. for this plane? It's looking more and more like I'll just have to design my own similar plane such as this. Please send me a PM if you can help out. Thanks!!!!!
These are very much like an old school wood Quickie 500's with larger surfaces and throws, not difficult at all to replicate.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:29 AM
  #106  
raymond48
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: , FL
Posts: 29
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

No sir they are not!!! You can't replicate a scream machine unless you have the plans .nothing like a quickie 500. A quickie 500 won't take the abuse and scream can.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:18 AM
  #107  
Avery81
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 38
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Scream

Originally Posted by raymond48
No sir they are not!!! You can't replicate a scream machine unless you have the plans .nothing like a quickie 500. A quickie 500 won't take the abuse and scream can.
yeah I want a set when they are ready!!!😉
Old 09-03-2019, 07:31 AM
  #108  
Avery81
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 38
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

r
rcpollo will agree I donít think you can really appreciate this thing unless you have multiple flights on one with a dub Jett .50. You soon realize it can handle absolutely any punishing move you throw at it WOT!!!
Old 09-03-2019, 05:19 PM
  #109  
Lownverted
My Feedback: (4)
 
Lownverted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Palmdale, CA
Posts: 549
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by raymond48
No sir they are not!!! You can't replicate a scream machine unless you have the plans .nothing like a quickie 500. A quickie 500 won't take the abuse and scream can.
Well, my design experience says otherwise. Itís a constant chord wing,with a thinnish symmetrical section, box fuse and largeish surfaces. Nothing magic about that no matter what the marketing hype says. Thatís not to say itís not a good flying plane though, it probably is. But to insinuate that this plane canít be matched in performance or strength is laughable. Anyone who has been building and designing long enough can see through that.

BTW, Q500ís are going 190 mph and pulling way more G than this ever will, so stop spouting that nonsense too.

Last edited by Lownverted; 09-03-2019 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:30 AM
  #110  
flygilmore
 
flygilmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Dublin, VA
Posts: 1,181
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Could you please remember me when making copies? I've searched for years with no luck and I'm having trouble with my PM's. Thanks!
Old 11-11-2019, 11:16 PM
  #111  
felker14
My Feedback: (50)
 
felker14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 571
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Copy please

Originally Posted by raymond48
Scream machine plans. Dug them out today. Will make copies to sell they are crude plans as you can see. They were hand written by Rodger Purcell as you can see. I will check on price for copies.
I would take a copy. PM me where you want payment for copy.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:33 AM
  #112  
MJD
My Feedback: (1)
 
MJD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Orangeville, ON, CANADA
Posts: 8,658
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Lownverted

Well, my design experience says otherwise. Itís a constant chord wing,with a thinnish symmetrical section, box fuse and largeish surfaces. Nothing magic about that no matter what the marketing hype says. Thatís not to say itís not a good flying plane though, it probably is. But to insinuate that this plane canít be matched in performance or strength is laughable. Anyone who has been building and designing long enough can see through that.

BTW, Q500ís are going 190 mph and pulling way more G than this ever will, so stop spouting that nonsense too.
Kudos to you for the sanity check... the hype is just too much. No matter how well they fly - or anything else does - there is a difference between enthusiasm and BS. Modellers, in my experience, are a demographic highly prone to believing hype and defending it until they are blue in the face despite obvious clues and physical laws to the contrary. Everyone wants to be the guy in the know, most of the time the competition seems to be who can come up with the most hyperbole and use the most exclamation marks in their post.
The following users liked this post:
combatpigg (01-11-2023)
Old 01-11-2023, 01:51 PM
  #113  
combatpigg
Senior Member
My Feedback: (3)
 
combatpigg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: arlington, WA
Posts: 20,393
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Avery81
Here she is!!!
Very nice...!!
I wanna build one...!!
Those photos do a nice job of showcasing the basic dimensions / layout.
Old 01-11-2023, 02:07 PM
  #114  
combatpigg
Senior Member
My Feedback: (3)
 
combatpigg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: arlington, WA
Posts: 20,393
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MJD
Kudos to you for the sanity check... the hype is just too much. No matter how well they fly - or anything else does - there is a difference between enthusiasm and BS. Modellers, in my experience, are a demographic highly prone to believing hype and defending it until they are blue in the face despite obvious clues and physical laws to the contrary. Everyone wants to be the guy in the know, most of the time the competition seems to be who can come up with the most hyperbole and use the most exclamation marks in their post.
Howdy MJD..!
Well looking back on this thread I hate to see how I "down played" what Mr Purcell was trying to share with us.
I plan on building one of those "SUPER STICKS" now...maybe with the SPORT JETT 40 / 9.5 x 6 combo.
HEY LOOKIE HERE...IS THIS THE FATHER OF ALL DIAMOND DUST DELTAS...?

Last edited by combatpigg; 01-11-2023 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-27-2023, 01:41 PM
  #115  
rcpollo
My Feedback: (6)
 
rcpollo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Owings Mills, MD
Posts: 99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Does anyone come across Roger these days? Anyone know a flyer by the name of Scott Beckett? I'm the happy owner/flyer of a Scream Machine that Roger built for Scott in 2003, powered by a Jett Engineering 50. Twenty years later the plane is a ton of fun to fly! I bought it at Graves RC in Orlando in 2017. I'd love to get a message to both of them that the plane is still flying great!





Old 06-01-2023, 05:28 AM
  #116  
Clugh
Senior Member
 
Clugh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: RTP, North Carolina
Posts: 2,026
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Very cool looking planes! It's great to see homebuilt projects featured here. I'm pretty jealous to see you guys out there having a blast with your planes while I bring another load of wood into the house....[]
Much more exciting than cox td for sure

Guess its time you step it with a load of that wood.



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.