Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

How to make a big bird faster, 30cc DLE or OS 1.6 2c

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

How to make a big bird faster, 30cc DLE or OS 1.6 2c

Old 04-30-2011, 06:44 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default How to make a big bird faster, 30cc DLE or OS 1.6 2c

Old 04-30-2011, 08:43 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: How to make a big bird faster, 30cc DLE or OS 1.6 2c

Sorry for the empty post my IPhone would not let me type.

I know this is no speed plane like a Jackel or Sundowner 50, but I have a great flying CMP 90 spitfire from NitroPlanes and with war birds, You cant do much more than just fly fast and do fly buys so I would like them to be fast as possable for such a large bird. I will admit the DLE will sound better than the OS.

This is a older kit, and from what otheres tell me some guys fly this bird with 1.80 4c all the time. But the DLE 30 and OS 1.60 are both in the $260 price range.

Anyways, I have mine fly with a OS 1.20AX 2c with stock muffler, 16X8 prop right now, with no cowl, as I dont want to cut holes into I decide on motor set up.

I had to add 1 pound of lead to the motor mount,and add alumminm mount to get the CG correct. The only way to save the weight would to be put the reciver 6v nicad pack next to the motor in the cowl, but That worrys me.

A DLE 30cc is only 200grams heavyer than the OS 1.20, a OS 1.60 2c is about 50-100grams heaver than the DLE 30.

From the info I can find online a OS 1.60 will spin a 18X10 APC at 8900rpm, while the DLE 30 will spin the same prop 9000rpm with only 1 gallon (not broken all the way in)

What you guys think?

All the real info I can find on the DLE is about 3d not fun speed.

Thanks

Iron Mike

Old 05-01-2011, 12:05 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I know nothing about those giant engines, but the general idea is to find the lowest diameter prop that will pull the plane and the highest pitch that the engine can handle without overheating.
The big props that you deal with are pretty expensive so you need to hook up with somone who races that size warbird and alreadyknows the range of props you should try.
I'll bet there are internal mods to these engines that someone out there has performed. You could call Dave Shadel at Performance Specialties in Nevada
775-265-7523 He's a great guy, if he can't help you directly, he might have some contacts that race those birds.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:57 AM
cmircman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say use the DLE 30. Believe it or not the DLE 30 is more power than the OS 160 it is more comparable to a moki 210. By running the DLE you can run a smaller tank because it will not be as thirsty as a glow engine so there is some weight that can be saved. You could convrt the DLE to a single prop bolt to open you up to the APC line of props for more options. Just to give ou a place to start with props I can tell you the hot setup for the 80" sundowner class was a moki 210 with a 17x12 pattern prop wich was good for around 140 mph. One big obstacle you are going to have to over come is to make sure your airframe can handle all the power and that the tail of the plane does not seperate from the rest of it.

Rich
Old 05-13-2011, 05:46 AM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OS160 is a torque engine, not meant to be run fast with a small prop.
I have a CMP Hellcat 72" ws with DLE 30cc and APC 3-blade 15.75x13 that you can get from Tower. It is the fastest warbird in my hangar, easily break 100mph+ range. I have not clocked it yet, but it will put a smile on your face with that combo. Only problem with that 3 blade prop is that the plane will come in at mach speed for landing, unless you modify the flaps to swing down almost 90 degrees to slow it down nicely. At least that was my finding with the Hellcat. Spitfires are floaters on landing in general, you may have to do the same. I agree that the OS 120 is marginal power for that plane. I have a saito 180 in my CMP 72" spitfire and it was just decent speed, not close to my Hellcat speedster.