Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

O/T: Something new or different in 'speed'yy

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

O/T: Something new or different in 'speed'yy

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 01:55 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default O/T: Something new or different in 'speed'yy

Hey guys,
I was at my club field yesterday and a member arrived and set up two heli's. I did not pay much attention, because I figured he was another 3D heli guy. Now don't get upset if you like 3D heli's! I know it takes tremendous skill to do it, but as a spectator it's just not my cup of tea.

So anyway, yes he took up the smaller of his two heli's and did some 3D flying. He was actually a very good pilot at that 3D stuff. But I didn't get too excited.

A little while later, he got his other heli ready. This one was much larger, and had a pretty cool paint job on the body. So he put it on the runway, and then took off. But instead of doing 3D stuff, he started a climb. And he went way up, and way out.

Then, he dove it toward the runway! He leveled out at not too high above the runway and it was HAULING ASS!!!!!!!! [X(][X(][X(]

And making wicked sounds, even though it was electric. He pulled up and climbed again, turned it around and did the same thing coming back. He did this a few times. Man, I have never seen anything like it! I had no idea heli's could move like that.

Then from a rather high height, he dropped it like a rock. Then just above the runway he somehow put on the brakes and set it down ever so softly. The guy is good.

Well, this really had my interest up! That was the most Badd Azz heli demo I had ever seen and I had to find out more.

It turns out that "speed heli" is a popular class right now. The world record, is 140 MPH. He had some gizmo on his heli and he also had his laptop and he was able to determine he had made some passes over 140. [8D]

He is going to a contest called IRCHA and he is planning on entering the speed contest.

His heli looked very *****in', what with all billet CNC aluminum, anodized, carbon fiber, all sorts of cool looking stuff.

Speed Heli's.... who knew?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48237.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	1629870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16415.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	1629871  
Old 07-01-2011, 09:06 AM
Gene Margiotti
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: O/T: Something new or different in 'speed'yy

WOW!!

Gene
Old 07-02-2011, 04:12 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They do thier speed runs a little different but still super cool to watch.
We had a guy come do 85 at the rally last year.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:32 AM
BiggerDanno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love getting out into our pattern and racing my heli against whatever plane decides to get close.
It's not near as fast as most planes, but faster than some in our club. The intimidation factor is usually enough to win the race as they are afraid of getting "chopped up"