Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Patriot 40 Question

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Patriot 40 Question

Old 10-01-2011, 09:21 AM
_Tommy D
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patriot 40 Question

Patriot 40 Question

Guys, I just picked up a Patriot 40. It was completed some time ago and never flown. Assembled with fixed gear, it's never going to be "that" fast.

So with that in mind it has a OS 40 Max SF on it. IF I can get it run decently (and substitute the factory muffler for a Jett) what can I figure speed wise? 70MPH???

If I remember correctly the motor was a good one (quality wise) and fairly light. I do think I have a 46AX or a 55AX around here somewhere but my fear is the extra weight up front will just cause balance problems (more weight) on a model thats never going to be that fast anyways.

Thought??

Thanks!
Old 10-02-2011, 02:14 PM
Roary m
My Feedback: (67)

Default RE: Patriot 40 Question

I bet you might push 90 with him; weigh the other engines against the 40 SF and see what you come up with. Get one of those short pipes from Dub Jett.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:10 PM
DougV

Hi Tommy,

I got one of the 40 Patriot's built with a fixed landing grear and a Jett sport 50/9x8 prop, I have this combo for 14 years now, this Jet was clocked by the Sunrise PD at 133 mph.

If I was you, I will put that 55 in there with a Jett muffler.

Hope that helps,
Doug.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:59 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: _Tommy D

Patriot 40 Question

Guys, I just picked up a Patriot 40. It was completed some time ago and never flown. Assembled with fixed gear, it's never going to be ''that'' fast.

So with that in mind it has a OS 40 Max SF on it. IF I can get it run decently (and substitute the factory muffler for a Jett) what can I figure speed wise? 70MPH???

If I remember correctly the motor was a good one (quality wise) and fairly light. I do think I have a 46AX or a 55AX around here somewhere but my fear is the extra weight up front will just cause balance problems (more weight) on a model thats never going to be that fast anyways.

Thought??

Thanks!
The 40 SF will run well with the Jett-Stream added. Start with a 9x6 or 9x7 and work from there.

If need be, the 46AX is not that much different on weight.

Even with the fixed gear you should get well over 70mph.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:36 AM
_Tommy D

Hey Bob

I just obtained a Sport Jett 40. Can you suggest a Prop for it on the above Patriot? Also what % fuel (15?) should it be running.

Thanks

Tommy D
Old 10-13-2011, 05:19 PM
ron7672

Hi ! I flown one with a os46sf flys great. Its not a trainer but for someone that has been flying a wile its not as fast as the holey smoke or hotsII I seen one modified with a ys 46 rear exhaust inside the plane with retracks and fuel cell on the wing . It was faster than mine but still okay for the novest flyer.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:07 PM
Roary m

I have a couple of these kits and I am debating: will I use the OS 46 VF or the YS 45 rear ex. Some more input on the YS powered ships would help me.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:22 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Roary m

I have a couple of these kits and I am debating: will I use the OS 46 VF or the YS 45 rear ex. Some more input on the YS powered ships would help me.
here is the one i just put up for sale in Fresno, CA,

this one is equipped with Spring Air retracts,
Dub Jett 56LX engine
2 Futaba S9650's on the ailerons (digital)
2 S9202's on the ele and rudder
1 S3102 on the throttle and 1 Hitec HS 85BB to actuate the retracts.
a dual battery/switch system is employed for redundancy.
covering is Ultracote and the trim is done with KlassKote epoxy. weight of the plane is 5lbs 13 ounces which is light for this model as built and equipped.

wing airfoil has been thinned, and fuse height reduced to eliminate even more drag..............not flown yet..........someone will though.

BTW, i listed it for a steal of a deal
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94988.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	1674298   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29778.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1674299  
Old 10-15-2011, 08:41 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: _Tommy D

Hey Bob

I just obtained a Sport Jett 40. Can you suggest a Prop for it on the above Patriot? Also what % fuel (15?) should it be running.

Thanks

Tommy D
9x7 prop. Alternates are standard 10x6 and 10x7

you are looking for 16,000 peak ground rpm at a minimum. Back off peak 600-800 rpm.

Any fuel you wish 10% - 15% is great...
Old 10-20-2011, 02:43 PM
Roary m

Summer,
Nice ship. I don't think mine will look as good but he will have the 'look' in general. Once had a Kougar covered in flat black paint with flat white on the bottom with scallops separating the two, a sortof night fighter look. Am thinking of doing that one again.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:25 PM
_Tommy D

Summer,
Nice ship. I don't think mine will look as good but he will have the 'look' in general. Once had a Kougar covered in flat black paint with flat white on the bottom with scallops separating the two, a sortof night fighter look. Am thinking of doing that one again.
Just don't do it in chrome! Flying my Kougar is like flying a mirror!
Old 10-21-2011, 06:21 PM
Roary m

Funny, we were just talking about that very thing. When I flew combat wings in the early '70's, Chrome had just come out. I discovered the hard way when I blinded myself doing a wingover, but then realized that it would work well against my opponent and it did. Just like standing outside the circle and deflecting a mirror at him, just had to memorize the flight angle to get at his eyes. After a while, everybody wised up and wouldn't fly against my Combat Cat until I changed the color, darn.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:07 PM
Pete Lane
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: summerwind

here is the one i just put up for sale in Fresno, CA,

this one is equipped with Spring Air retracts,
Dub Jett 56LX engine
2 Futaba S9650's on the ailerons (digital)
2 S9202's on the ele and rudder
1 S3102 on the throttle and 1 Hitec HS 85BB to actuate the retracts.
a dual battery/switch system is employed for redundancy.
covering is Ultracote and the trim is done with KlassKote epoxy. weight of the plane is 5lbs 13 ounces which is light for this model as built and equipped.

wing airfoil has been thinned, and fuse height reduced to eliminate even more drag..............not flown yet..........someone will though.

BTW, i listed it for a steal of a deal
I am that someone............Thanks for the great deal Summerwind !/

Pete