Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Ultra Sport .40 with Jett SJ .56LX! Pics & Video!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Ultra Sport .40 with Jett SJ .56LX! Pics & Video!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 06:53 PM
KC10Chief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Sport .40 with Jett SJ .56LX! Pics & Video!!!

My wife bought me an Ultra Sport 40 kit for Christmas of 2009. After numerous TDYs and deployments, I finally got her finished up! It has a Jett SJ .56LX motor up front turning an APC 10x6 prop about 18,000 rpm on the ground. This is definitely a very impressive motor! The sound is amazing. I flew it for the first time tonight. It sounds incredible in the air. Unlike anything else flying at my local field. The old geezers will complain about this one for sure! It also has Robart pneumatic retracts with Robostruts. Very cool retracts. I'll never use wire retracts again. The fuel tank is a Jett fuel tank with the bladder inside. It's a little more time consuming to refuel, but worth it. No bubbles! It is being flown by my Futaba 7C and high torque, metal gear Futaba servos. Here's some pics and video.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMlil7i1ZFU
Old 10-17-2011, 07:10 PM
jp_boud
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Ultra Sport .40 with Jett SJ .56LX! Pics & Video!!!

That's one good looking airplane. I have a set of those struts on the way. They really look good with the rest of the plane.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:15 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Very nice...!!

Give those Ole Geezers Hell with that sucker...!!
Old 10-17-2011, 07:18 PM
KC10Chief

ORIGINAL: jp_boud

That's one good looking airplane. I have a set of those struts on the way. They really look good with the rest of the plane.
The struts are awesome. I have an Ultra Sport 60 with a tired old Thunder Tiger G90 on it. It has mechanical wire retracts. I hate the retracts. The wires bend every takeoff and landing and the wheels don't go up all the way. Or they won't come down! With the Robostruts, there is no bending or setting up a finicky servo. It works great every time! My Ultra Sport 60 is about 12 years old now. I'm going to recover it, install an OS 95AX and some pneumatic retracts with Robostruts on it.

You can see how I mounted the retracts. I also made hatches to go over the mounts so it looks cleaner.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:38 PM
wyo69cowboy

Looks and sounds great! I've thought several times of building one of these; I like the lines with the retracts up. How's the airfoil/drag of this airframe? Is there much speed potential in it, say compared to a Sundowner, Revolver, or other common sport plane? Not looking for extreme speed, but something a little more exciting for my (slow) thumbs...
Old 10-17-2011, 09:03 PM
Scirocco14

Awesome sound and great looking plane. What is the all up weight with the retracts?

Mark
Old 10-17-2011, 09:16 PM
KC10Chief

ORIGINAL: wyo69cowboy

Looks and sounds great! I've thought several times of building one of these; I like the lines with the retracts up. How's the airfoil/drag of this airframe? Is there much speed potential in it, say compared to a Sundowner, Revolver, or other common sport plane? Not looking for extreme speed, but something a little more exciting for my (slow) thumbs...
That is exactly why I built this plane. It's definitely exciting. Fast, but not TOO fast. I used to have a Diamond Dust with a Jett FIRE .50 on it. That was too fast. I'm guessing that this thing is doing about 130 mph or so. Jett makes an awesome motor. The Ultra Sport is an older design. The plane is pretty sleek though. When you cut the power, it's going to take a bit for it to slow down. It's not very draggy. You have to give it some room to slow down for landing. Still, it flies real nice and lands real nice. My US60 is the same way. The Sundowner probably isn't any faster. There's a couple of those at my field. They're not as fast as my US40. Maybe with a Jett 56 they would be. The US40 is quite the build. Lots of sanding. It's a real sturdy and very well built plane though. They make an ARF version too.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:18 PM
KC10Chief

ORIGINAL: Scirocco14

Awesome sound and great looking plane. What is the all up weight with the retracts?

Mark
6.5 pounds.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:24 PM
Scirocco14

So the retracts and extra servos (I noticed the two in the wing) only added about a half a pound. Definitely worth considering!

Mark
Old 10-17-2011, 09:34 PM
KC10Chief

Also, I will NEVER use metallic colored Monokote ever again. This stuff was a complete nightmare. Particularly the metallic charcoal. The metallic gold wasn't too great either. The metallic red was a little bit better. Still, this stuff was terrible to work with. The metallic charcoal barely shrinks at all. It took me about three times as long to cover this plane as it normally takes me to cover one.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:57 PM
KC10Chief

ORIGINAL: Scirocco14

So the retracts and extra servos (I noticed the two in the wing) only added about a half a pound. Definitely worth considering!

Mark
Yep. This stuff is pretty light weight. I don't think the Robostruts are much heaver than a wire gear. The retract mechanisms themselves are probably the heaviest pieces. The air tank is extremely light. So is the valve. I wanted to be able to remove all of the retract stuff with ease if I needed to. I took a piece of light ply and built everything on top of it. The lite ply attaches to the flooring behind the canopy with two 4-40 bolts and blind nuts. The refill port is drilled into the side of the fuselage so that I can refill the tank without having to take the wing off. I have a Robart quick disconnect to attach the wing lines to the retract equipment in the fuselage. The retract stuff is right behind my fuel tank. I can't get the fuel tank in and out with the retract stuff in the way. So, I can remove all of the stuff easily. I am using a Hitec HS85MG servo to actuate the retract valve.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:44 PM
jp_boud

An Ultra Sport .60 is exactly what I'm going to put those struts on. I bent up the wire gear pretty bad when I was "forced" into a downwind, dead sticklanding. I thought about replaceing the wire gear with new wires but went with the robostuts instead. But being as I've already installed that "finicky" servo deep down in the wing, I'll stick with it for now.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:47 AM
KC10Chief

ORIGINAL: jp_boud

An Ultra Sport .60 is exactly what I'm going to put those struts on. I bent up the wire gear pretty bad when I was ''forced'' into a downwind, dead stick landing. I thought about replaceing the wire gear with new wires but went with the robostuts instead. But being as I've already installed that ''finicky'' servo deep down in the wing, I'll stick with it for now.
The robostruts could be bent. But it would take a hell of a landing to bend them I think. They're pretty tough. I'm thinking they'd rip the mount out of the wing before they'd bend. I hope I don't have to find out!
Old 10-18-2011, 05:42 AM
jp_boud

if it comes down to it, I think I would just figure out how to hand launch it!  These Ultra sports are just too much fun to fly to let something as trivial as landing gear slow you down!
Old 10-18-2011, 05:44 AM
wyo69cowboy

ORIGINAL: KC10Chief

ORIGINAL: wyo69cowboy

That is exactly why I built this plane. It's definitely exciting. Fast, but not TOO fast. I used to have a Diamond Dust with a Jett FIRE .50 on it. That was too fast. I'm guessing that this thing is doing about 130 mph or so. Jett makes an awesome motor. The Ultra Sport is an older design. The plane is pretty sleek though. When you cut the power, it's going to take a bit for it to slow down. It's not very draggy. You have to give it some room to slow down for landing. Still, it flies real nice and lands real nice. My US60 is the same way. The Sundowner probably isn't any faster. There's a couple of those at my field. They're not as fast as my US40. Maybe with a Jett 56 they would be. The US40 is quite the build. Lots of sanding. It's a real sturdy and very well built plane though. They make an ARF version too.
Thanks for the info. Been a long time since I've built a kit; last one was a GP SuperSportster 20, and I remember lots of sanding with that one too lol. I like the looks of the taildragger kit version; I think the ARF was tricycle.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:40 PM
smoknrv4
My Feedback: (11)

Very nice job on the plane, and great video, gotta love the sound of a JETT screamin' by!
Old 10-18-2011, 03:02 PM
AirWolf49
My Feedback: (527)

WHEW..! I need 1 of Those...Right up my ALLEY....VERY COOL, Plane brother...tippler 49/RCU
Old 10-18-2011, 05:55 PM
rglgatortail
My Feedback: (7)

Hey KC10CHIEF maybe you can consider on signing up in the forum UltraSport Brother hood and ask for a brotherhood number to put in your signature. Dont forget to put in your picture and your video if you want. That is one nice looking plane and I tell you I'm jealous that your plane is faster than mine, I hold the current unofficial speed record here at my flying field with my US 40 at 105 mph straight and level and mine is powered with a Magnum .52 turning a 11-4 at over 13k on the ground. I wish you long life with your US 40 and if you are ever in this area we should do some flying. Have a great one and enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31702.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	1676292   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65530.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	1676293   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz69646.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	1676294  
Old 10-18-2011, 06:07 PM
KC10Chief

Thanks! You link didn't work, but I'm going to do a search for that Ultra Sport brotherhood! I'll get a radar gun on this thing eventually. I'd love to come fly in Pensacola, but it's a LOOOOONG ways from here! Only about 5,000 miles. HA!
Old 10-18-2011, 06:55 PM
glowplugboy
My Feedback: (17)

I'm curious. Do you ever have any encounters with wild animals at your club field? Moose? Bear? Deer?
Old 10-18-2011, 07:25 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

NICE!!!!!!
well done
Old 10-18-2011, 07:29 PM
KC10Chief

ORIGINAL: glowplugboy

I'm curious. Do you ever have any encounters with wild animals at your club field? Moose? Bear? Deer?
Well, there are no deer in Alaska. However, a moose is a member of the deer family. I have seen moose a couple of times while out flying. I've never seen a bear at the RC field though. Bears are pretty skittish and they'll avoid anywhere there are people. Moose don't care. Moose are a lot more dangerous than bears but you won't have problems with either of them as long as you leave them alone. I carry bear spray on me if I'm out by myself somewhere. Last year, I was flying and a moose ran across the runway. I had a moose in my back yard a couple of hours ago. I see them almost every day. I saw four different ones today alone. All here in town. It's a little less common to see bears. I've probably seen 10 bears in the last year or so. When I go fly full scale, I always carry a 12 gauge or a 44 mag with me. I prefer the 12 gauge as it's easier to shoot critters with.

Ever see any wild hogs down your way? I used to hunt hogs in Oklahoma and Texas. Good times.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:33 PM
KC10Chief

Got a question for you speed guys. Jett only recommends three props for this motor. All APC. 10x6, 9x8 and 9x9. Which one would give me the most speed? I am currently running the 10x6. This plane weighs 6.5 pounds. I would guess that the 9x9 would give me the most speed. Just seems awful small for this size of plane.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:03 AM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jett recommends a range of props because different air frames will respond differently to a given prop. On a small, aerodynamically clean air frame, a small diameter prop with a high pitch will likely work best. But on another air frame with a lot of frontal area and a thicker airfoil (the Ultrasport actually has a very thick airfoil when compared to aircraft designed purely for speed) the larger diameter prop might give more straight line speed, as the design needs a larger prop disk to overcome the drag.

Your best bet is going to be experimenting with different props, staying within the range of what Jett recommends, of course.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:32 AM
glowplugboy
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: KC10Chief

ORIGINAL: glowplugboy

Well, there are no deer in Alaska. However, a moose is a member of the deer family. I have seen moose a couple of times while out flying. I've never seen a bear at the RC field though. Bears are pretty skittish and they'll avoid anywhere there are people. Moose don't care. Moose are a lot more dangerous than bears but you won't have problems with either of them as long as you leave them alone. I carry bear spray on me if I'm out by myself somewhere. Last year, I was flying and a moose ran across the runway. I had a moose in my back yard a couple of hours ago. I see them almost every day. I saw four different ones today alone. All here in town. It's a little less common to see bears. I've probably seen 10 bears in the last year or so. When I go fly full scale, I always carry a 12 gauge or a 44 mag with me. I prefer the 12 gauge as it's easier to shoot critters with.

Ever see any wild hogs down your way? I used to hunt hogs in Oklahoma and Texas. Good times.
Yep, I seen a few hogs in my day.... These piggys are in the College Station area...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72852.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	1676493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88272.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	1676494   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89715.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	1676495  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.