Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Where have all the deltas gone?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Where have all the deltas gone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 10:21 AM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Where have all the deltas gone?

ORIGINAL: Speedy-Gonzales
Fully sheeted airframe so airfoil woul hold true form. Open structured wings will actually bulge toward the rear of the wing at high speed due to the ever existent vacuum created by the wing traveling through the air.

This anomaly was actually the demise of many Diamond Dusts and the reason they would shed their covering. The other advantage of a fully sheeted wing is that IF you shed the covering.....you still have a wing underneath!

SPEEDY
A covered delta can be a PITA with skin vulnerability not doubt, but they are VERY light which leads to easier launches and enhanced maneuverability. I have the same "covered" deltas that I started with (except the Outlaw my son killed) so that's an Outlaw, Enforcer, one clipped wing and one standard Diamond Dust. I must have over a thousand, pushing the limit flights combined on those deltas and never had the covering blow off ....yet. I've even had a few flights that had covering damage unbeknownst to me and had escaped the cursory pre-flight, that otherwise never would I have flown. I attribute the longevity to using ONLY Ultracote covering and to assure adhesion painting surfaces with Stix-it. This is not to say I haven't needed to recover some planes multiple times because the number of patches were ridiculous.

As for the covering bulging, I don't know, but I do know that on a hot day my DF powered DD the skin on top wants to lift up, I can just tell the covering is trying to pull off the cap strips. Probably those hard verticals.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:16 PM
iron eagel

Thanks for the reminder Freaking fast, I'll be sure to make sure there is enough thickness on the leading edge to prevent the buzz (I hope).
I am going back and forth of which version to build, the one with wingletts, or the vertical stabs. The reason being with the wingletts I have two less intersections with the wing to develop interference drag or at least that's my thought.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go with the winglets, they will give you more life without the increase of drag.

by keeping the air over the wing instead of washing off the tip

many sailplanes and commercial jets now use them for the same reason
Old 12-10-2011, 04:26 PM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ever caught a winglet on your coat sleeve or shirt tail? I guess this brings up a good point. Tuck in all that loose clothing. I learned this the hard way from flying RC Combat. The "Tuff-Flight" Panther and Predator X are the two birds that started my addiction with deltas and flying wings.

It is amazing when there is a crowd at the field with all types of planes from giant to small. Everyone is going about their business but fire up a Nelson powered delta and everyone stops to watch the spectacle. My flights usually end with a round of applause and I politely give everyone a bow. I do not fly to "WOW" the crowd nor do I relish in the attention. It just happens that way. You just know that sound when 25,000 rpm's come to life in the pits. Better than watching "Top Fuel" at the drag races.

I also like the question: "What the hell you got in that thing? What is it?

There is one downside to all this........shrinkage....you know...like when the water in the pool is really cold?
Old 12-10-2011, 05:17 PM
freakingfast

ORIGINAL: Speedy-Gonzales

It is amazing when there is a crowd at the field with all types of planes from giant to small. Everyone is going about their business but fire up a Nelson powered delta and everyone stops to watch the spectacle. My flights usually end with a round of applause and I politely give everyone a bow. I do not fly to ''WOW'' the crowd nor do I relish in the attention. It just happens that way. You just know that sound when 25,000 rpm's come to life in the pits. Better than watching ''Top Fuel'' at the drag races.

I also like the question: ''What the hell you got in that thing? What is it?
Been there, done that. Most of the regulars at the three fields that I fly at know what's about to happen when the DF starts to scream, but most watch anyway. It's when there's an open house and new folks around that I hear from behind me the sounds of "oh my gawd" or surprised laughing. I fly mostly for myself, but I don't mind the applause. I must admit I'm a show off.

After the flight , the questions:
#1 How fast is that?
#2 How does that thing hold together?
#3 What engine is that?
#4 How do you know when to stop the roll? Easy, just take what it gives you when it stops and work with it.
#5 Where do I get one?
#6 How many G's is that thing pulling? OVER 46!
#7 What's it made of?
Old 12-10-2011, 05:27 PM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

The Diamond Dust and the Screamin Demon utilized a neat little trick for reducing elevon flutter. They reversed the shape of the leading edge of the elevon and the trailing edge of the wing. In other words the forward leading edge face of the elevon is flat and the trailing edge of the wing is 45'd. This was supposed to remove the chance of flutter. apparently it worked since I never experienced any flutter with my Demon. As to the comment of a fully sheeted wing being heavier... not by much. My Demon weighed in at 2.9 pounds RTF. That is light. Could I have saved a few ounces....yeh.... but nothing significant to effect the performance to any great degree.

FreakingFast:
I like your comment on #4. So very true! [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 12-10-2011, 09:00 PM
iron eagel

My first attempt at a real speed plane, the hybrid Delta/flying wing Mike Connor designed and I modified, has only flown twice. (I am still trying to figure out the best prop for it.) The second time it flew it sounded mean as hell but the prop never came out of stall from what Mike saw in the video. (It never just jumped ahead as it did during the first flight.) Both times it has drawn the attention of the guys there (A couple of guys showed up just because my test pilot and I were talking when we were going to fly the second flight, they must have seen the video of the maiden...), the biggest reactions I have had is when I draged out the catapult for the second flight.

This thing has the same treatment of the trailing edge of the wing and the blunt leading edge of the elevon as the Demon and DD have.
CP has proven the SD and you guys have proven it has potential so I can't wait to build mine using some of the stuff I picked up from you guys along with a few of my ideas to see if I can "enhance it a bit"...
Old 12-13-2011, 12:45 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just thought this would fit into the forum here. 1/2 A Speed. Didn't have enough up to work with monoline, and did torque rolls sometimes, flying clockwise too, so was aborted. The big foam one is an R/C for a .25 to .46 or so. I forget what it was called. Steve Grey made the wings for a pattern plane design and it looked too long, so he skipped the fuselage and tail and sold a few.They go good. Would be fast with a .65 and a pipe.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67551.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	1699520   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94798.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	1699521   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33492.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	1699522   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt53890.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	1699523  
Old 12-14-2011, 11:04 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

I just pulled the trigger on another Outlaw. The Blue Angel scheme was all they had, so I'll have to find a way to make it easier to see. My first one was the same colors and was hard to see at times. I can't wait to start flying one again. Damn, I liked that airplane!
Old 12-15-2011, 03:16 AM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

Way to go, Guy. I just love pretending mine is a park flyer and terrorizing all the sea gulls at the ball field with it.

I think it's one of the best values on the market- well built, well engineered, easy to setup and a great flyer.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:28 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Looks like I picked a good time to order that Outlaw. Shortly after my order was accepted, their website showed it as "out of stock". Hopefully there are more on the way. I'd sure hate to see another delta go away, especially one as capable as the Outlaw.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:44 PM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

I'm pretty sure they'll reorder. The previous time I considered one, maybe two years ago, they were all out and reordered.

Here's my latest delta- the Mikulasko Arrow, electrified. Maidened it this morning at the local ball field compex, which was snow covered.

It has a Rimfire 32 motor and a 4S 3300 pack. Not quite enough punch, although it flies really nice. I just ordered a 5S 3000 pack from hobbyking. That will take it up to about 115w per pound, which should put it in the loads of fun category.

Name:	Cz79970.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	1700986  
Old 12-17-2011, 12:41 PM
freakingfast

I hope they learn and stock more of the Outlaws that are orange with checkerboard bottom. they are the easiest to tell what's top or bottom and best selling, cool looking too. I lot of guys just want that one, and wont place an order till those are back(me) and on the other hand, Extreme Flight wants to reduce other inventory and wonders why the sales slumps after orange is gone. Duh.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:54 PM
scones007
My Feedback: (4)

I love deltas ,easy to setup,go fast w/o breaking your wallet,rolls are a need to see to beleive type of thing,& they slow down fairly well for landing.I have or still have the Mach racer many flights w/ a Mangnum .46 was ok fast ,but very nice on the wallet. Now it has a Rossi .40 tuned pipe & pump not flown it yet, had a mini Mach racer screaming fast while it lasted,my old time favorite is a Mirage 2000 bought from Hobby People years 7 years ago. Came w/a .280 (I think) size brushed motor & a 6-7 cell nicad. It was so heavy & under powered it barely flew,it was way before Lipos & Brushless motors came into the RC world.Don't know why but I hung onto this plane for so many years as it was all busted up. I recently put a NEU 1105 2.5y motor in it & old 18c 3s lipo.It must have been the airfoil that it has that made me keep it.Flies great & lands very slow as you can see on youtube. Not sure how to post the link, if interested in seeing a old school recycled Rc plane do its thing go to youtube type in(search) scones007 look for my old rc mirage 2000 or fastest RECYCLED RC PLANE on 3 cells.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:49 AM
iron eagel

Saw the video of your recycled airplane real nice.
If you want to put the link in for your delta video just copy the youtube link and paste it in here like this one of my delta.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmF5kgUkEgQ
I've just started my build of a SD nice delta Mike Connor designed it should be a quick plane
Old 01-24-2012, 04:32 PM
smoknrv4
My Feedback: (11)

I just purchased a couple Nelson C/L 15 engines, so I'm contemplating building a 24" size version of the Screamin Demon for one of these babies.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:49 AM
iron eagel

A 24 inch SD with a Nelson sounds like it would be very quick...
Old 01-26-2012, 08:24 AM
smoknrv4

I'd like to also build another regular size SD, but it looks like I'll have to scratch build it, not sure if the kits are available anymore.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:51 AM
scones007
My Feedback: (4)

Thanks for the tip Ironeagle on listing my video. Nice flying Delta you got there,smooth landing.Here's my you tube link for my old recylced Mirage 2000 Delta
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DltBhHqZO8M
Old 01-26-2012, 09:26 AM
iron eagel

Glad it worked Scones, nice plane.

Smokn, I'm not sure about the kits...
Wasn't it someone in your area who took over producing them?
Even if you have to scratch build it's not all that big of a deal. I had to make up several of my own ribs for my electric version because the fuselage is being blended into the wing. It really wasn't all that hard and the ribs are the most critical part of the construction, they have to be dead on to keep everything straight.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:38 AM
smoknrv4

Not a big deal by no means, my very first SD was scratch built, but having laser cut parts is much nicer.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:22 PM
iron eagel

That's right you and Combatpigg both scratched a couple. The laser cut kit came out nice everything fit together very nicely.
Too bad the kit isn't available it's a real nice delta, and some of the updates that were made really spiced it up.

More and more it beginning to look that your either buy the one or two delta kits out there, or design and build your own.
I may design and build one around a real beefy high power electric outrunner, one that has enough torque to spin a larger higher diameter high pitch prop, unlike the high kv inrunners I am using now.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:08 PM
RealViking
My Feedback: (5)

How about this one from Weston UK,
Velocity 50, a smaller version is around as well.

http://www.westonuk.co.uk/westonuk2_064.htm
Old 02-08-2012, 01:09 PM
RealViking
My Feedback: (5)

How about this one from Weston UK,
Velocity 50, a smaller version is around as well.

Name:	Ca82147.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	1724738