Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Rapier (ripmax)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 10:38 AM
micboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rapier (ripmax)

Hi I am planning to buy the rapier and info or help regarding this plane would be much appriceated.

BTW this is my 1st time that i am buying a delta. do you recomend this plane is it fast with an OS 46FX

Thank you ALL
Old 09-18-2003, 04:17 PM
cabanestrut2002

Default RE: Rapier (ripmax)

i am assuming that this isnt your first model and that you are confident with rather 'hot' models.

with the 46 it will be quite fast, not ballistic, but fast by a normal sport models standard.

these rapiers are too fat and draggy to go really fast but you should be looking at around 100 mph in a good dive.
they are excellent fun and can fly really slow and nose high (most people forget that deltas fly slow aswell!)

set it up as the instructions say and you wont go wrong, for first flights use the recommended low rate settings and get someone to launch it for you,
Old 09-19-2003, 10:41 AM
micboy

Hi thanks for your help.

No I have flown deltas with 46 engines that i used to make myself but they were nothing but a flat piece no airfoil just a flat piece of coro or balsa they where not that bad but take off and landing was a nightmare glide was horrible so now i plan on buying something that fly's a bit better than the deltas that I made.

BTW Do you think that it would go faster than the corex one (flat deltas).

Thanks

michael
Old 09-19-2003, 03:59 PM
cabanestrut2002

are you talking about [link=http://www.rcflyers.net/rcfrev_correx.shtml]this correx delta[/link]

yes it will go faster that the correx deltas, those correx deltas are great fun arent they!
but when the engine stops, get that nose down, they glide like lead balloons!
Old 09-20-2003, 02:03 AM
micboy

Hi yes that is the corex delta they are fun and cheap but with the amount of props broken and small things that i broke on a hard landing it would be much better if I buy the ripmax one.

BTW: I bought the plane as a kit not an ARTF because I wanted to take the templates and have a idea on the building process I don't want to crash it and then i wont have any templates to fix it.

So take off would be easy coppering to the coro delta and a bit faster .... at lest good news
Old 09-20-2003, 06:18 PM
cabanestrut2002

ahhhh, you managed to get hold of a kit?
Old 09-21-2003, 12:33 AM
micboy

Yes I did Why. are they hard to find?

Thank you
Michael
Old 09-21-2003, 08:14 AM
cabanestrut2002

the kits are not currently being manufactured, only the artf's
Old 09-21-2003, 01:50 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

for flying the Rapier is a *****cat, even when shifting.
good idea to copy the bits, not only do you have a back up, but a handy plan for fellow club members. try maiking one with a thinner wing section and more fuz, then fit a hot engine and strap in we did have one, but it died. forget how.. cartman? you remember?

a Rapier at a fly for fun me and Carters attended this weekend had a Rapier doing 124 into wind, my Outlaw with its sick Leo 37 and Master 11x4! could only muster 92 into the wind
Old 09-21-2003, 03:01 PM
Wowbagger

Hi Micboy,

The Rapier is a fine aircraft and is lots of fun. You don't have to use a .46. The damn thing is so nose heavy I used an SC .36 ex heli motor with an MDS quiet silencer and it still took 6 ounces of lead in the tail plus the nicad to even get within an inch of the recommended CG position. Throttled back a bit it's quieter than an electric! God knows how much lead you'll need with a 46. My CG is on the front of the hand hold.

The .36 has plenty of power for it and I guess you get a longer flight too. There doesn't seem to be any difference in top speed from a dive compared to my mates 46 fx powered version.

She's a *****cat and virtually unstallable. Just watch out for the nose drop on really high G turns.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-21-2003, 03:54 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

MVVS 49 or GMS61 is the weapon of choice around here
Old 10-10-2003, 08:52 AM
G McIntosh
My Feedback: (9)

I agree that the Ripmax has a thick wing ,but yes its a good plane.. I have a Picco .60 in mine turning a 10x10. Its in the 120-130 speed range.. a lot of fun.
I also have a Lazer Arrow which I like also, has a sport Jett.40 w/ 9x7 apc.. its faster than the Ripmax.. I account this due to the differances in wing thickness between the two. I had no problem with the cg on the Ripmax. Speed is everything..Glenn