Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

FORA / CYCLON .15 powered speed plane

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

FORA / CYCLON .15 powered speed plane

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 08:46 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spiderwire's site says:

.007" 10lb test
.008" 15lb test

But oddly the internet so far has done me wrong, I can't find a good reference for the tensile strength of .008" CL cable.

I put the website in the post above - they have the Monoboom and the 1/2A version plans.

http://www.controllineplans.com/index.htm
Old 05-22-2014, 09:26 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

.008" steel is too wimpy and it's a real pain [unless you are flying a BabyBee over clean pavement]. The old AMA rule for 1/2 A combat was .012" steel but I do not know what the current rule is for 42 foot lines and high powered Russian engines. I do not recall what the criteria is in the general rules to calculate pull test strength but it should be in the new rule book. 20 pounds ought to be OK but I'd still like to get a consensus opinion. I flew a .074 powered model on 20# Spiderline and it did very well with a pretty heavy model 50 feet away. I snagged a weed on one takeoff, the model flew across the circle and it snapped both lines but crashed instantly. The sudden "yank" dismantled the fuselage from the wing neatly and it was a much easier fix than what you would think after seeing the crash..
Old 05-22-2014, 09:42 PM
combatpigg

Oh Boy..! I forgot about Barry Baxter's page. I met him a few times, real likeable guy. He used to host [might still] Cox TD ONLY combat contests at his place. This was his last act of defiance as the Russian engines stomped the TD into moth ball status. He's got some great plans there that look great and actually fly good enough to be dangerous.
Cox TD combat on 35 foot lines always left me wanting something more. The power just wasn't there to fly out of most line entanglements. There were also too many matches where one of the planes wouldn't start for the 5 minute trial. I must have flown 100s of matches over the years and very few of them are memorable. I had way more fun just sport flying them and putting them away in one piece. The 1/2A match I remember most was when both planes tangled streamers while headed in opposite directions and ended up playing Tug Of War for a few seconds back and forth while gradually sinking to the ground.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:40 AM
MJD

I would have loved to see that.

Any luck finding more on the Reverso? Looks like it was Dave Slagle's specialty but who knows who else used to mess with it too.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:20 AM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Barry Baxters website is like being 14 years old again and finding your Dad's stash of girlie mags!
You can order from Barry and have your plans in a couple days.

" You know you're getting old when the guys you ran around with in your 20's are finally getting out of prison ! "

Last edited by Speedy-Gonzales; 05-23-2014 at 06:25 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:34 AM
combatpigg

I pecked around for more info about The Reverso, but decided to turn the project over to the Mythbusters production crew. They get paid to do it. I would be surprised if this story does NOT interest them but there could be a back log of research and writing a mile deep so we'll see what ever comes of this. The ratio of behind the scenes material gathered to what actually gets air time is usually pretty steep. I just think that this could be a real "Show Stopper" of a stunt compared to watching them blow up something for the umpteenth time.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:08 AM
iron eagel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great idea for them to produce a show from.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:21 AM
MJD

I did like the one they did on blowing up hot water tanks. This would be cool.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:41 PM
combatpigg

The Dave Slagle project suffered a setback. I was given a lead on how to find him and narrowed it down to the phone number of a bed and breakfast place in Maine. The woman who answered the phone did not know anything about Mr. Slagle and then she hung up.
At this point I suppose the thing to do is see if the AMA can be of any help.
Dave Slagle competed as a team with both parents back in the day. This photo is what I believe is a reproduction of his Nats winning model.I can't see taking that baby down off the wall to go try some REVERSOs out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Checkala Roma Dave Slagle.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	1998704  

Last edited by combatpigg; 05-26-2014 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:42 AM
MJD

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/.../messages/2033

Judging by the date looks like he's still around to me.

Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2014 1:44 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [engine_collectors] Atwood GD Model vrs Atwood Champion.

Hi, Mike-
Way back when- The Checkala Roma was powered by a Super Cyclone. The next airplanes were powered
by Atwood engines. I had started flying two planes at once, and Bill Atwood furnished Atwood engines with
two sets of points (high and low speed). It, really, helped. This was in the mid 40’s when ignition was the
only thing. May I ask, are you old enough to remember?
Sincerely, Dave

Old 05-27-2014, 08:43 AM
MJD

More from the same site:
Way back when, I designed the Checkala Roma. I was 13. It was the only plane to fly inverted at the 1946 Nationals.

It was the first year of control line stunt. I was the first to use the symmetrical airfoil. I was the first to win the Walker Cup.
I won it in 1947 and 1948 by flying and stunting two planes at once. In 2002, I was surprised by being inducted into the
AMA PAMPA Hall of Fame.
Brings back nice memories, Dave Slagle
Old 05-27-2014, 02:24 PM
combatpigg

Flying 2 planes at once would be about like learning to ride a unicycle I imagine. You would first need to get "fluent" flying with your opposite hand. I can't visualize ever being able to do it. It would be like trying to maintain a spinning basketball in both hands at the same time.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:30 PM
MJD

I flew two GWS Slow Stiks together for a little while, buddy holding transmitter over. I wouldn't classify it as "easy", thank goodness the word "Slow" means something. As to a pair of ignition.60 powered ukies, hmm, haven't tried that.. yikes!

You gonna try tracking him down through the engine collector site?
Old 05-29-2014, 05:09 PM
combatpigg

The biggest control line plane I ever heard of was powered with a Briggs and Stratton lawn mower engine. It was on a show in the 1980s..."That's Incredible" or something like that. I never saw that show, but it might be on Youtube now.
Here is a Master Blaster that might not have been shown every where yet.http://youtu.be/j39qWfynuZY