Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

1/2A RC speed - such a popular pasttime

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

1/2A RC speed - such a popular pasttime

Old 03-19-2014, 08:10 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

- cut a parting plate to match the silhouette
- fixture plate flush with centerline of fuselage (plywood, modelling clay)
- fill gap between plate and fuselage
- wax whole assembly
- PVA
- layup first half
- remove parting plate
- touch up release coats if necessary
- lay up second half of mold

then..

- finally, make the bloody cowl
- maybe sometime in the future make another one, maybe not..

This is a silly amount of work for a one-off, but if the piped version ever materializes, or I get the .061 FIRE version of this engine, maybe another will need to be built. 2nd one ought to go a bit quicker..!

And it is good practice - I have lots of experience with adhesives and resins, but pretty much a beginner on patterns and molds. It requires patience, which is not my strongest point.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:02 AM
MJD

If this turns out fast and interesting enough, then I might be inspired to go ahead with scratch building a dedicated 1/2A speed model. But this guy isn't too far off what it needs to be, so other than the obsessive project the cowl turned into, it is a quick and easy project.

I don't have a feel for how much cleaner this might be than the 25" jobbie I built a couple of years ago for the .061, or CP's v-tail quickie, or other similar models. But I have to think it is by design/nature, so I am optimistic.

If I EVER get my laser behaving (almost there!! much progress..) then I can cut airfoil plywood or G10 root and tip templates for sanding SWR wings to real airfoil profiles. I figured out what I want to do also.. I will cut two for each end, with identical locating screw holes, but the first set will be maybe 25 thou oversize, because as I sand I will hit the template. So I'll rough it out with the first set, then finish with the second. We'll see, might not be a great idea.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:27 AM
iron eagel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used Formica as templates and it worked out pretty well but I doubt the laser would be good for that.
What type of laser rig did you get?
Old 03-19-2014, 11:45 AM
MJD

It's a GWeike 300mm x 500mm 60w system. Entry level, but as far as Chinese lasers go they have a good reputation apart from the usual comments about documentation. The guy who was cutting my Demon kits before only used 50w and got the job done.

By rotating the Demon ribs at an angle, I was able to nest the entire 1/8" plywood part set onto one 300x500mm piece of 1/8" ply, and with efficient usage. Now if I could only cut one..

BTW I tried punching holes through Formica.. nah, need more power or it will take forever.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:41 PM
MJD

You know what I think is funny? This project is really just a fun thing I am doing for kicks, it won't change my life or anyone else's, and I don't expect more than about three people to really give a crap. But it seems to me the least active threads on this forum are the threads that are actually about "extreme speed", rather than dropping a .61 in a .46 ARF and assuming a national speed record is in sight. But I guess "extreme" is from the point of view of the builder rather than the status quo, isn't it?

Admittedly this is definitely a niche segment of the sport, although who doesn't want to put pedal to the metal at some point..
Old 03-19-2014, 03:07 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If you throw in the guys who race RC Pylon, then there is still quite a lot of interest in RC Speed.
The guys who REALLY feel like a dying pack of dynosaurs are the C/L Speedsters, C/L Carrier Event, and C/L Racers.
The C/L Combat guys sort of fall into the "Extreme Speed" category and they are still going strong on a global FAI level.

C/L Carrier is kind of silly to watch [my opinion] but it is also pretty awesome to see the demonstration between slow speed and high speed performance. Picture a .15 sized scale model Corsair with a Nelson .36 on 60 foot lines. The leadout position is somehow adjustable in-flight so that the leadoouts shift aft to cause the plane to yaw / bank away from the pilot for max line tension during slow speed laps, then shift back to a forward location to make the nose of the plane track tangent to the line of flight for the high speed laps. There is also an arrestor hook that deploys when the pilot is ready to land. So when you look these models over up close, they would make Rube Goldberg drool.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:09 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

At least three people want video when it is done.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:10 PM
MJD

I only recently had the bright idea to look for a CL carrier video on YouTube, man they do slow them thangs down don't they!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVURyH1d-O0

Copious amounts of nitromethane..
Old 03-19-2014, 04:40 PM
MJD

Originally Posted by combatpigg
If you throw in the guys who race RC Pylon, then there is still quite a lot of interest in RC Speed.
I had not thought of it that way, but you're bang on. They do like to go fast, don't they? Ok, they're in.

It may be telling that the difference between a kickass pylon racer and a straight line speedster on the same engine is not all that much. Look at the MB Profi .40 powered F3 speed models by F3D (approaching 240mph I believe) and an FAI pylon model on the same engine esp. with a prop change. Not much.

This thing will be lighter than the EP version so it ought to turn on a dime and keep moving. Apparently it's pretty maneuverable, never saw one fly myself. I was shocked at how tight the 25" .061 jobbie would turn and I think it is up to about 12oz now.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:44 PM
MJD

Oh yeah, I just remembered why I actually dialed into the forum in the first place just now..

Before getting to work on the parting plate and mold, I peeled off all the masking I had on there for a last chance to admire the pattern in its raw state (and tape the wing in to go vroom vroom..).

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1014.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	1979647   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1016.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	1979648   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1019.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	1979649   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1023.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	1979650   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1025.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	1979651  
Old 03-19-2014, 06:27 PM
combatpigg

I do not see how you can beat that for 1/2 A Speed.
How fast does the fastest example of this plane go with electricity..?
Old 03-19-2014, 07:16 PM
MJD

When I ordered it I asked how fast they have been pushed, and they suggested to around the 200 mark, but that they did not recommend this. The hottest motor package they would endorse was a 175-ish setup IIRC. It is so easy to overpower a lekkie, just call up the order desk.. "hi, I want to order one FQU2 pylon racer. Yes, red please. And I'll take the 200mph motor package, and throw in an extra prop. Thanks."

I need to get hold of them again and see what examples they have, i.e. this many watts did this. Should be able to make a crude estimate of speed potential, maybe, with that.

No worries about it being rigid enough for the worst that the 1/2A or 1cc engine world can throw at it. For a .15 will go up a notch with a slightly larger model with a wing proven to 200+.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:18 PM
MJD

The rear exhaust .061 will drop right in too, but I wanted to see what an .049 could do.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:25 PM
combatpigg

I don't know if you remember the "GZ .061 SPECIAL"..but it was the first SWR I did for 1/2A RC. It had the look of a 747 fuselage and the outlet for the exhaust was just a slit in the belly. Flat bottom airfoil carved into 1/4" thick balsa slab. IIRC, it was also kind of heavy for it's size.
I swear that thing did 160 mph, but that was before I was clocking flights from promising planes. This was with a 4.2 x 4 prop that hit 42,000 on a ground check. It was also with a compression / nitro combo that averaged 3 or 4 good runs in between piston / liner / head button changes. It roasted the silicone pipe seals on every run. The glow plugs were just black holes after every run, no element and the plugs leaked compression enough to let the prop freewheel on the glide home.
This is what I remember what 160 mph was like with 1/2A power...but my point of reference was running 160 mph Q-500s with Nelson .40 entry level engines. I think the G&Z SPECIAL would have blown the doors off a Nelson powered Q-500 from a standing start and possibly for an entire heat.
BTW...I used a 1.25" tall control horn [measured to the hole] on that plane...and most other SWRs for pitch control. After the maiden flight of this plane I went home and simply glued a piece of 1/16" ply to the side of the original control horn that was way too short and scurried right back to the field ASAP. The improvement was like night and day, the plane behaved more like a 747 now and was no sweat at all to fly. IIRC, I used the inner hole on the servo arm and the total throw from center was about 1/16". This would have been with a 25% CG.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:56 PM
MJD

I remember it for sure. Didn't you have video posted somewhere? Nothing on your YouTube channel I can find.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:36 PM
combatpigg

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-...ml#post3852798

I'm still looking, but I found some funny stuff here............
There was a video posted at RCU called "1/2 A NW Pylon Racing" or something close to that.
Nothing at JooToobe.

Last edited by combatpigg; 03-19-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:47 PM
combatpigg

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-...a-express.html

I completely forgot about this plane. I do not even remember flying it after seeing this thread.
still looking for the "G&Z Express"..or "G&Z Special"...............
Old 03-20-2014, 06:52 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I spent a couple of hours looking for the GZ video. Couldn't find it, but this looks interesting. 2008? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl7w3smOTS4
Old 03-20-2014, 07:39 AM
MJD

I remember that video from when it was posted - that looks like SERIOUS fun.

The Boomerang ought to hold it's own in that group. Not sure about the pilot but the airplane for sure. I don't think there is any 1/2A pylon in Canada, barely Q500 and EF-1.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:43 AM
iron eagel

Wow get side tracked for a day and miss all the action.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:46 AM
MJD

I hope you got side-tracked working on your proof of concept model, as opposed to work or chores.

Most of my RCU posting is done at work. About every 2 hours I close my daybook, grab a cuppa, and dick around for 5-10 minutes to chill out. Of course if something really interesting is going on I'll sneak a peek now and again from my desk, elapsed time about 10 seconds to check for updates.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:16 AM
iron eagel

I wish it were to work on my plane but unfortunately it wasn't. Today however that has been my major focus, playing around with servo locations to try to balance it a bit better.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:53 AM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by aspeed
I spent a couple of hours looking for the GZ video. Couldn't find it, but this looks interesting. 2008? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl7w3smOTS4
Those guys were going over 100 mph with Norvel AMEs that had about an hour's worth of work done to them. Their best looking planes had nice long moments to help keep them in the groove, lap after lap. As long as there was a fresh supply of AME .049s -.061s, they had a very well attended event. Once the $50 [not counting re-work] AMEs got scarce the group could have moved up to $150 FORAs, [with no re-work] but they chose not to. In the long run a $150 FORA would run better and would out last a coffee can full of AMEs.
I've got coffee cans full of VAs, AMEs, Coxes, Big Migs, APs, etc...but I keep just 1 Cyclon [with no spare parts] that runs like a Rolex. It is money far better spent if you are commited to USING IT A LOT, YEAR AFTER YEAR.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:22 PM
MJD

Since acquiring the Profi .061 2-3 years ago and the recent .049, I find myself looking at all my other 1/2A's as "quaint, but fun"..
Old 03-20-2014, 08:29 PM
combatpigg

Speaking of "quaint but fun".......I just tried to find a video about 1/2A .049 Mouse Racing and struck out.
I think 3 up at a time is the most I've ever seen flying a heat..and 3 looks pretty insane.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-...-gz-delta.html
I'm getting closer to finding the G&Z video......

Last edited by combatpigg; 03-20-2014 at 08:34 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.