Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

The fastest thing on this aircraft is the prop tips.. wayyyy OT post

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

The fastest thing on this aircraft is the prop tips.. wayyyy OT post

Old 06-25-2014, 03:54 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The fastest thing on this aircraft is the prop tips.. wayyyy OT post

This forum is so quiet I had to post something. Must be flying season in the rest of North America now! It is in these parts finally.

I had to show off some pictures out of boredom (drinking tea and thinking about going to work..).

This is my excuse for the last three years for being stupid slow at all my modelling projects - pics 1, 6, and the whole string of photos at the bottom starting with #16. That's our 85mph speed prop ship strutting her stuff for the photographer. I was at work that day though so my ugly face ain't there.

http://www.airic.ca/html/edenvaleworkday.html
Old 06-25-2014, 04:28 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Cool plane, nice clear action shots too.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:10 AM
MJD

These are the first shots we had taken by a pro, and it shows. A local artsy-fartsy magazine did an nice article on it, but we had to show the guy how to get a decent ground shot and the air to air shots are all looking down.. on a camo aircraft.. more like a local crop survey than an av photo shoot.

I wasn't trying to boast with this thread (that's not to say I am not proud of the work we did, I am), just posting something I thought might be of oblique interest.

The first task was stripping and rebuilding the tail group - that was no different than repairing a 7 foot span delta built from spruce with a 3/8" OD aluminum trailing edge.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:19 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The clarity of those photos is the first thing that struck me. That's quite a collection..! There is a similar collection of planes at our small town airport. Paul Allen keeps some war birds up here.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:23 AM
MJD

His website has a great gallery of aircraft photos - go to the home page then bounce around if you haven't already. He does really, really nice work.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:06 AM
MJD

The only justification for posting more photos is that this is my excuse for not flying fast RC models for the last couple of weeks. Yeah, weak, I know... But I thought some of you might find these interesting.

Geneseo Air Show last weekend. Perfect weather Thur-Sat, Sun not so good but we all bailed Saturday due to impending rain. 3:15 flight at a whopping 75mph. Rob Holland joined us for some fun and games in a photo shoot. We cruised at 75, he flew in high alpha to keep up. Jerry Yagen's Mosquito KA-114 was there so we took the opportunity to get a bunch of de Havilland family photos. The Mossie flew formation with a P-38.. not too hard to watch.

The new MXS-RH is a bad-ass aircraft.. and, it can maintain a hover whereas the MX2 seemed to struggle. <1200lb, 385hp. "3D" flying is creeping in to full scale step by step.

Holy [--------] the Mosquito is a gorgeous aircraft. There were puddles of slobber and drool and who knows what else surrounding it from all the gawkers.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	gen20147110736.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	2014352   Click image for larger version

Name:	gen20147110796a.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	2014353   Click image for larger version

Name:	gen20147110924.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	2014354   Click image for larger version

Name:	gen20147111072.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	2014355   Click image for larger version

Name:	gen20147111096.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	2014356   Click image for larger version

Name:	gen20147110534.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	2014357   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1178.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	2014358  
Old 07-15-2014, 06:44 PM
combatpigg

Those are spectacular photos..!
The shot of what looks like a mine in the background really shows what a scenic area that is. I'd be spending lots of time in your plane cruising and cruising and cruising some more.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:35 AM
MJD

This is over the Geneseo NY area (Livingston County) at last weekend's air show. That's a big salt mine, and just west of that Is Letchworth Canyon and the state park. We did not overfly the canyon this trip, but on a previous trip in a Moth belonging to a local foundation, we did fly the length of the canyon adn it was spectacular. Not too many options for forced landings though.. not smart practice in a 74 year old single engine aircraft! But sometimes you gotta live on the edge.

It is indeed beautiful countryside. Back here at home, we have very similar scenery, we are hangared 5 miles south of Wasaga Beach on Georgian Bay (largest freshwater beach around) and just a little east of Blue Mountain which is a popular local ski resort area. So there are good things to see. That's my ugly ass in the yellow T-shirt. The registration is CF-MAD - Mike, Andy, Dan.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:11 PM
combatpigg

The barber shop next to our airport is decorated with an aviation theme and they have a library full of the best aviation books to leaf through. They have a great Dehavilland book that goes from A to Z with every plane they built.
Does your plane use aviation fuel..? If so, how much does it cost..?
Old 07-17-2014, 06:15 AM
MJD

We don't need to use avgas, the compression ratio is so low (about 5.5:1) we could likely run Coleman fuel, and regular bronze grade has far more octane rating than we'll ever need. However we cannot run any ethanol. Ours has bronze trainer heads. If we are stuck fueling at the airport we run 100LL which up here is, if I recall correctly is about $1.65/litre (I hate looking at the gas receipts, it hurts). Our preferred fuel is ethanol-free regular, which a few gas stations carry for agricultural use.

We also have a 1C engine (6:1, aluminum heads, a few more hp) in the wings with only 11 hours since its last rebuild - it was either in, or a spare for, one of the faux-Rumpler biplanes in Lawrence of Arabia, so there is some interesting history behind it (documented, we have the docs from Slingsby). If you watch the movie, about 30 minutes in you'll see a biplane sounding and looking very tiger Moth-ish make a strafing run.

http://www.goldenageair.org/collecti...umpler_c_v.htm
Old 07-17-2014, 06:17 AM
MJD

BTW fuel burn is a bit under 8 gallons/hour at 75mph cruise. We get 2:45 run time = 2:15 air time. You're ready to stretch and take a leak at that point so the duration is just not an issue.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:17 PM
MJD

Ha ha, just found this on line. The mag came out two weeks ago.

http://www.inthehills.ca/2014/06/cur...-of-the-tiger/
Old 07-17-2014, 03:13 PM
combatpigg

Wow..! I would have expected better mileage..!
It's a reminder that an airplane engine is [for the most part] under a higher load than a car engine. Even a 400 HP car engine can get 10 mpg if it is driven with a light foot.
There aren't very many places left where you can put the pedal to the metal for long stretches. When I was a kid there were a couple States with no speed limit on the main highways.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:53 PM
MJD

The aircraft is a bit draggy - it sure shows in the mileage!
Old 07-17-2014, 04:54 PM
MJD

http://www.inthehills.ca/2014/06/current/flight-of-the-tiger/
Old 07-17-2014, 11:26 PM
combatpigg

That's a great write up and quite a story. What's amazing to me is that 1940 really isn't that long ago and they were still flying planes [military no less] as archaic as these..! The world's economic melt down and gradual recovery must have put a damper on progress. Governments used to stick to their budgets better than today I'll wager..
1940..most car engines didn't have oil pumps or pressurized oil systems. They relied on crank splash. The con rods had "ladles" that scooped up oil and flung it. Does your plane's engine have an oil pump..?
The old car engines used rubberized rope for the main bearing seals and the babbit bearings were poured in place, allowed to cool, then the mechanic would scrape the surface of each bearing with a draw knife until it was just loose enough for the parts to turn. Model A Ford engines were scheduled for rings, valves and bearings every 10,000 miles. By 1940 I'm not sure what the service interval had improved to, but I'll guess that 50,000 miles was considered doing pretty good. Blocks and heads used to crack a lot more often back then, too. Finding people today capable of properly working with the old mechanicals would be tough but thankfully they had some excellent shop manuals that show in great detail how some things were done.
I'll bet shop manuals for your plane would be extremely expensive
Old 07-18-2014, 05:51 AM
hairy46

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much for sharing the photos!
Old 07-18-2014, 09:22 AM
MJD

No problem, I figure airplane geeks are airplane geeks no matter what forum it is, and I hang out here. Besides, somebody had to post something..
Old 07-18-2014, 11:46 AM
combatpigg

This is my excuse for not much RC activity the past 2 years.
It's a 1965 Falcon Ranchero and it replaces the 1964 model I sold before joining the Army.There is a console that needs to be built, I'll use 1/8" plywood and FG....then have it carpeted by someone who knows what they are doing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ranchero 003.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	433.7 KB
ID:	2015252   Click image for larger version

Name:	ranchero 002.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	418.4 KB
ID:	2015253   Click image for larger version

Name:	ranchero 004.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	418.5 KB
ID:	2015254   Click image for larger version

Name:	ranchero 005.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	413.5 KB
ID:	2015255  
Old 07-18-2014, 04:27 PM
MJD

I didn't know you were this far along, that looks great! Nicely done indeed.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:09 PM
combatpigg

You might have noticed with your project that you can see milestones worth of progress along the way in between pauses to figure out what and how to do the next thing. With this project I literally could breath a sigh of relief AFTER In knew I was all done with the spraying paint. The worst is spraying inside the bed because the overspray blows right back in your face. Wearing a half face respirator with a fresh air supply helped, but I still got enough random whiffs to know that I have no future as a paint sprayer. The paint has isocyanates [or something like that], so it's evil stuff.
Every part that could ever wear out or need replacing is available for these old cars nowadays but in some cases the quality isn't as good as original. For these old Fords I found 4 major suppliers and if you were redoing a GM car there are many more than that.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:50 AM
MJD

Yes indeed - milestones are what keep you going I think. Every now and then you have to be able to stand back and say "there, well done, that's out of the way".

We figure about 2000 hours total in the restoration, and bear in mind that is a partial rebuild only. Lots of bits, and every job takes its own time.. it adds up big.

Sometime in the not too distant future, 5-6 years down the road, the fuselage and wings will be stripped and recovered. That will be a whole winter of work for the three of us. Sending a Tiger Moth out for refinishing - strip, recover, refinish - is a job worth $46-47k.. and we ain't made of money.

I'll be going off the grid now for two weeks vacation.. all the RC projects will have to gather a bit more dust yet.. but then time to get moving.

- Profi .049 Boomerang
- reincidenced and fixed up 25" Profi 061 racer
- test flights and speed runs, Evo 60NX/Jett muffler in my prototype Demon (how fast can you go with a $150.00 engine?)

are ready to go or an hour or two from it.

Plus I just ordered a complete new set of optics for the laser cutter (was having troubles with scratched and otherwise time-x'ed mirrors and lenses from previous user). Hope that gets the cutting department into full swing.

But for now.. chill, mon.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:47 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Captin' SLOW!!!