Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

DC F-20

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 04:16 PM
tashley
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DC F-20

Has anyone installed retracts in a DC F-20 ARC?

Tom
Old 11-18-2003, 06:29 PM
AirGar
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: DC F-20

Hey Tom,

I believe Cyclic Hardover did this. If he don't respond here, see if you can do a search for him and get his E-addy from his profile.

Gary
Old 11-18-2003, 07:09 PM
maverick
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: tashley

Has anyone installed retracts in a DC F-20 ARC?

Tom
Do a member search for a guy by the name of 'flyrcjets'. I believe he has put retracts in a DC F-20.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:04 AM
Buzykid
My Feedback: (2)

I have installed retracts. Spring air 301. If you have any questions e-mail me.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:39 AM
Q-Ball
My Feedback: (1)

Don't know bout the retract thing but I'm wondering if this is really balsa?
Sure seems heavy and hard.A lot of sanding is in order...Yours the same way???
Thanx Walt
Old 11-19-2003, 08:40 AM
Q-Ball

Don't know bout the retract thing but I'm wondering if this is really balsa?
Sure seems heavy and hard.A lot of sanding is in order...Yours the same way???
Thanx Walt
Old 11-19-2003, 08:51 AM
tashley

Don't have it yet. The ARC kit is supposed to be balsa/ply with skinned foam cores. In the past I've seen foam cores skinned with obechi wood. It's kind of like super thin plywood, like 1/64" skins.

Tom
Old 11-19-2003, 09:06 AM
Q-Ball

So that's what it is!!! I knew it was not balsa and appears heavy...It's a lot like the VMAR Edge I bought a while back. All the press was bad and all said it was not made of balsa but some kind of heavy wood..They were rite but I have no complaints with it.It's heavy but flies great.A bit slow but I expected that.
I haven't really got started on the F yet but sure wish the instruction book was a little clearer.I say that,but it IS an ARC..We'll see as soon as I finish this dang Viper that I'm running out of patience with..
Have a good one
Walt
Old 11-19-2003, 09:48 AM
dean320
My Feedback: (5)

Would this be a good or bad choice as a first speed plane? How stable is it at lower speeds. Do you have to install the landing gear as retracts? What would the top speed be with a Jett 50?
Old 11-19-2003, 10:31 AM
tashley

It comes with fixed gear blocks installed in the wings already, so I'll have to cut them out to install the Spring Airs. No biggie, I've done it before. All the posts I've read on this model say it's rock solid. I can't think of any reason it wouldn't make a first time speeder.

Tom

P.S. Along with the Spring Airs, I plan on a Jett .50 myself.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:33 AM
tashley

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

So that's what it is!!! I knew it was not balsa and appears heavy...It's a lot like the VMAR Edge I bought a while back. All the press was bad and all said it was not made of balsa but some kind of heavy wood..They were rite but I have no complaints with it.It's heavy but flies great.A bit slow but I expected that.
I haven't really got started on the F yet but sure wish the instruction book was a little clearer.I say that,but it IS an ARC..We'll see as soon as I finish this dang Viper that I'm running out of patience with..
Have a good one
Walt
Walt, what did yours weigh, and did you use fixed gear or retracts? What motor?

Tom
Old 11-19-2003, 03:09 PM
Q-Ball

I haven't started the F-20 yet.I'm finishing up a Viper and bout two weeks ago finished up on the GP Patriot.I was ready to test fly the Patriot and fried the Tx plugging a 1650 mah hidride in it..Dumb,dumb,dumb.

The Patriot was an easy builder from a kit and all went well.It's got an MVVS 49.It'll have to wait till I get the Tx back from Futaba.

Judging from just picking up the parts of this F it's got to be heavy.Heavier than the Patriot.

I tell you what.I'm talkin from experience here (what little I have) but I had the Champion 45L for two years and it's a good first time speed plane too or even if your famailiar with the speed stuff it's a mover,espcially for the price of 169.I just had the TT 46 Pro on it and it really got with the program and could fly slow as well.If I had not bought this F-20 I'd gotten the Champion and put this Jet 50 in it.

For those that are afraid to put out that kind of money (I certainly was) the Jet is a work of art and from all the engines I've had they don't begin to compare to the Jet,especially the 50.I haven't had them all but have had the Rossi's,MVVS,Irvine,Thunder Tiger and theres not much comparison

Be back tonite.
Walt
Old 11-21-2003, 07:17 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BOO!------------------I used Hobbico Mechanicals. I also moved them out a bit further away from the fuselage for better take off roll. Not as squirly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91513.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	76537  
Old 11-21-2003, 07:31 PM
tashley

Cyclic, do you have any pics you'de like to share on the retract installation? Maybe a shot of the bottom of the plane. Is that a Jett .50? Do you have a radar clock on it yet? Nice looking plane btw.

Tom
Old 11-21-2003, 08:13 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Sorry but no pictures. The wing gear was a no brainer. The nose gear is where the problems arise. There is not much room up front. My original retract servo was right where the front of the wing goes into the fuse. The rod went up front under the tank. Well this made the tank rather high and siphoned fuel into the carb. I was so sick of fooling with it i actually stored it for over a year.
Then a couple of us brain stormed a good one. The retract normally retracts to the rear and the pull rod is also on the same side. Well i took the retract apart and put the pull rod facing the nose with the gear still retracting aft. I then put the retract servo right behind the firewall. My control rod is only 1inch long but all works great and I lowered the fuel tank at least and inch and everything is fine.
That Jett .50 is the best engine for this plane.-I still have some film left on my Bashed Miss America/Miss USA. I'll try and get some shots but it may be a couple weeks.
Old 11-21-2003, 08:25 PM
Q-Ball

In pix #26 of the DC/F-20 instruction pamphlet what are the two top pieces??
The one on the rite looking at the parts list is the wing servo tray.I usually just put a piece of 1/8 (or thicker) ply across the hole to mount the servo too and have had no problems. Am I safe here??

I don't have the top left piece at all.What is it for?? Don't see it in the book.

Before covering, the book says to put a coat of thinned Balsarite. I always use Balsarite and then sand smooth.Why does it say "thinned"?? Can't you just use it out of the can?? What did yall do here??

Thanx a mil'
Walt
Old 11-21-2003, 09:16 PM
tashley

Thanks, I plan on using Spring Airs so I shouldn't have the nose gear/fuel tank/retract servo interference problem.

Tom

P.S. Cyclic, I just read a post from you on another thread and you stated that your DC F-20 was an ARC and it came with the retract wells pre cut. That's strange, when I ordered mine earlier this week the guy said that fixed gear blocks were installed. What gives?
ORIGINAL: Cyclic Hardover

Sorry but no pictures. The wing gear was a no brainer. The nose gear is where the problems arise. There is not much room up front. My original retract servo was right where the front of the wing goes into the fuse. The rod went up front under the tank. Well this made the tank rather high and siphoned fuel into the carb. I was so sick of fooling with it i actually stored it for over a year.
Then a couple of us brain stormed a good one. The retract normally retracts to the rear and the pull rod is also on the same side. Well i took the retract apart and put the pull rod facing the nose with the gear still retracting aft. I then put the retract servo right behind the firewall. My control rod is only 1inch long but all works great and I lowered the fuel tank at least and inch and everything is fine.
That Jett .50 is the best engine for this plane.-I still have some film left on my Bashed Miss America/Miss USA. I'll try and get some shots but it may be a couple weeks.
Old 11-22-2003, 07:34 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Not sure. Mine is about 3 years old but when a bunch of us ordered them. They had two versions, a box of wood or an ARC which we got. Actually I forgot what went on about the wheel wells but do this for sure. Wherever your suppose to mount them, move them out about another inch otherwise the narrow base will make for one heck of a take off roll.
Old 11-23-2003, 12:42 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have spring airs in mine
Old 11-23-2003, 09:07 AM
tashley

Thanks for responding John, I've already downloaded the pics of yours.

Tom