Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Does anyone consider the Precision-Aero "Crazy Thing" fast?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Does anyone consider the Precision-Aero "Crazy Thing" fast?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 03:28 PM
Ducted Fan Dan
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone consider the Precision-Aero "Crazy Thing" fast?

I have read the few posts about this plane and they said it was a "real mover". I figured nobody knows more about real movers than "THE REVVER BROTHERHOOD". Fellas, please set me straight!

I have ordered this kit in the 15 - 20 size, based on looks alone. I have to tell you it is one of the best kits I have ever built! The laser cutting is the best I have ever seen. And the price...$35!!!

Truly a steal. I can't wait to fly it, possibly this weekend. I'll let you all know how it goes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91092.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	75907  
Old 11-19-2003, 06:28 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Does anyone consider the Precision-Aero "Crazy Thing" fast?

That wing section looks more suited for a funflier... but then again I could be mistaken...
Old 11-19-2003, 06:38 PM
AirGar
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By the looks of it, I would say definitely NOT! As RudeBoy stated, it looks like a "funflyer". If you get this going ballistic, and your gonna see a plane come apart before your eyes.

Keep it for fun, not for speed.

Gary
Old 11-19-2003, 10:40 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

I don't know if it looks that much like a fun flyer. Its tough to see how thick that wing is. If it is relatively thin I could see that moving at a pretty good rate if kept light.

Let me know how it goes, I have an extra Conquest .15 that would work well in that plane. Kinda looks like a minature midwing Q500.

I like it.

daven
Old 11-20-2003, 06:32 AM
CafeenMan

Hmm.... the wing looks kind of thick and the thickest point is well forward - maybe about 15% back? I doubt it will be a real mover, but who knows? Fly it and tell us.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:49 AM
Bucshot
My Feedback: (16)

I had one. It definitely is fast if you over power it. The best set up I've seen is the K&B.18 with a pipe! I flew mine with an old OS.25 bushing engine and moved out! On word on caution, you can overstress the airframe, expect to have the thing explode in the air. That happened to mine. I was knife edging down the runway, pulled full up elevator to turn, and the thing just exploded in to a mass of small pieces of monocote and wood! A few pieces of lite ply around the wing would make a huge difference.

The other thing I liked about this plane was it's ease to build. I built and covered mine in 12 hours. It's very well designed. I plan to get another.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:56 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Take a closer look at the picture. I think you are assuming that what your seeing is a flat endplate on the end of the wing.

To me, it looks like there is a "razor" type tip that runs out horizontally from the wing. With the covering stretched over the tip, it kinda looks fat, but I'm not so sure it is.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:05 AM
Ducted Fan Dan

The wing is fairly fat. The wingtip is a horzonal type that extends from the center of the rib, so, there is just about as much wing on the bottom as there is on the top.

Should be a blast though.

Bucshot,
I built the entire wing last night in about an hour!!
Old 11-27-2003, 03:51 PM
idoxlr8-RCU
My Feedback: (17)

This plane flies as fast as any Wonder. It seems fast because of it's size. STD 15 is plenty quick. 20 will be even quicker.
Old 11-28-2003, 08:19 AM
Ducted Fan Dan

Have you built this plane? It was pretty easy but somewhat confusing in that there are no pictures to go by.

I haven't flown it yet, can anyone give me a flight report?
Old 12-04-2003, 09:24 AM
Bucshot

Dyno,
It is very easy to fly. Full throttle, a light toss forward, and she is on her way. The plane has a very fast roll rate so make sure the ailerons are set up correctly or be quick on the right stick! The faster you fly this plane, the more crazy it gets, hence the it's namesake. By crazy I mean, the controls are very responsive. If you power back, it flys just like a "first time low-wing." Since the plane has a very good roll rate, it is a good idea to make the bottom of the plane a different color than the top. The plane is very small and the vertical stab isn't much help when trying to determine which side is up. I covered mine in chrome monokote and pained the wingtips, tail and nose blaze orange similar to the military high-vis paint jobs. Since the bottom and the top look basically the same, it is very difficult to know which side is the top. Not a good idea! I used an old OS .25 bushing engine and my flights last about 11 minutes. I find this plane requires constant concentration because of the manuverability and speed, so 11 minutes can seem really long. It may sound like I'm bashing this plane, I'm not. It was one of my all time favorites. As far as the landings go, I fly the plane until the fuel is exhausted and then set up just like any other dead stick. I keep track of the time, so when it gets close to the engine shut down time, I make sure I keep the plane high (most other times I'm doing very FAST low passes). Most times it takes a couple of 360's to loss altitude. She glides very nicely since the weight is low. After turning final, just keep the plane about 6 inches off the runway and slowly raise the nose as the airspeed bleeds off and it will skid very smoothly to a stop. I like to let the tail drag first since it seems to minimize the scuffing on the bottom.

Like I said, this was one of my all time favorites and I hope to rebuild mine someday. I sort of clipped off 6 inches off of each wing by flying it through a tree. Coolist thing I ever saw! Came right through the tree, sheared the wing tips off and the engine stayed running! One of the guys in my club suggested to leave it as clipped wing version! No thanks!

Enjoy!
Old 12-04-2003, 10:48 AM
Ducted Fan Dan

Awesome! Thanks Bucshot.

That's the kind of review I was looking for! Since this isn't a very popular plane, there isn't a whole lot of info out there about it.

I assumed that it would be pretty docile at lower power settings since it has a fairly fat wing. I went with Hitec micro servos and a mini servo for the throttle in an effort to keep the weight down. I'll post up some pics tonight.

I'm surprised that not many people have built and flown this plane. I can't wait to get it in the air.
Old 12-04-2003, 02:37 PM
rifleman3754

Where do get this kit? Never heard of this plane before? It is new?
Old 12-05-2003, 08:06 AM
Ducted Fan Dan

It's not new, I guess it's been around for a long time and certain clubs use it for pylon racing and club combat events.

You can order it at precision-aero.com

I paid $35 bucks, List price is 44.95. I think he gives RCU guys a discount.

Here is the thread I found out about it on,

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_43.../tm.htm#437642
Old 12-05-2003, 08:09 AM
Ducted Fan Dan

Check out this website devoted to the Crazy Thing!

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~sweetpea/wildthing.htm
Old 12-05-2003, 08:12 AM
Bucshot

Here is the website....

http://www.precision-aero.com/

He is a local guy for me!
Old 12-05-2003, 03:46 PM
wildthing7037

Hi everyone,

This 'crazy thing' looks very similar to the wildthings that we have raced in our club for years. They go relatively fast, but are definitly not speed demons due to the think section. They are great fun to race.
Mine is powered by a 15LA, and this engine keeps up with the other BB engines. I found weight is really important with the small size planes, and mini gear is a must for good performance. A friend build one last weekend (took 2 nights to build), and by using micro gear, the weight came down to 1lb 6 oz. Performance was amazing to say the least!

Anyway, they are quick and easy to build and heaps of fun to fly.

Stefan
Old 12-09-2003, 02:52 PM
Ducted Fan Dan

anyone ever put landing gear on it?