Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

I'm finally gettn' a Diamond Dust!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

I'm finally gettn' a Diamond Dust!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 03:38 AM
Kelly W
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I'm finally gettn' a Diamond Dust!!!!

Hey 'dust masters'.

I'm getting one partly built for $50 Canadian! It'll probably start out with brand new OS 46 FX. I want to use this for off-season training for jets, so ultimately this thing probably deserves a tuned-out Jett 50. Cash is a problem at the moment (don't ever have kids...)

Are there any more economical engine choices out there, or any tricks I should know about? I've already been told a few times about staying away from Monocote for this kit...

Thanks,
Kelly
Old 12-12-2003, 07:34 AM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: I'm finally gettn' a Diamond Dust!!!!

You waste no time do you Kelly

Come on, baby doesnt have to have the new clothes as much as you need a BSE Jett 50!

WHen you get bored of it, I will take it off your hands...

AJC
Old 12-12-2003, 01:57 PM
Kelly W
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He he he...
So I'm excited, sue me!

Unfortunately, I think I'll only be board after its been converted back into raw materials... You never know though. If not, its in a box and Ontario bound.

I've hear a lot about how crazy-fast these things can go, but only seen one once. The pilot wasn't pushing it too hard and he let me launch it for him. I think he was using a 46FX for power, but the prop wasn't the greatest fit for the application.

Anyone have any opinions about elevon servos in this kit? I assume standard Futaba's aren't the best in this application. I was thinking about using a medium torque/high speed MG servo from Hitec...

Kelly
Old 12-12-2003, 03:31 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was also wondering about required servo torque. A bud in a neighboring club lets me fly his OS .32 SX powered one. Oh, with a Mac's pipe. Almost 18K on the ground on 25%. It's a blast. It was clocked at almost 130. There is also a .46 powered one in that club and the preferred plane is the .32 powered one. I guess the bigger engines on this plane get a little heavy for it. That is only what I've heard and I also would like to hear what the DD owners have to say. Congrats on your purchase. You will love it!
Old 12-12-2003, 03:59 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

I have had two DD's and the first one lasted well over one hundred flights. The second one is still alive. Both were covered in MonoKote and I had no covering problems. Just be sure to check the bottom for tears after each flight and repair with clear packing tape when needed.

I started off using a 46fx with a UT pipe and 9x7 APC prop turning a static 16,400 rpm and it was very fast and a blast to fly. I went with a Jett 50 and SS pipe turning a 9x8 APC 18,000+ after getting used to the plane and it was fast. It flew well slow and fast when balanced at the rear of the cg limit and my second DD only weighed 2 lbs 12 oz. ready to fly with out fuel. I never flew one with a smaller engine so I can not give any advise on that.

I used standard JR-517 BB servos on the first Dust and they worked fair and lasted well over 100 flights. The second Dust had Hitec 225 BB servos and I could really tell the difference with the extra torque.

There are pictures a videos of both Dust on my web site.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:32 PM
drnickm

I just tried my new DD with a 46fx with mac muffler. I also have a viper with a Jett 50. So far the viper is way ahead in speed. Once I get used to seeing the DD in the air I plan to switch engines and get a real rush.

Nick
Old 12-17-2003, 09:27 AM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: drnickm

Once I get used to seeing the DD in the air I plan to switch engines and get a real rush.

Nick
And a real rush you will get. I have had several Q-500 planes and 2 Dust. The Dust wins hands down with the same engine.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:25 AM
FlooredCOBRA

I am using Hitec HS-645MG Servo Torque Metal in mine and they work great!. For the price you cant beat them.
At first I was running a 46FX with standard JR servos and it did just fine. Later I put in my GRRT FAI and tried the same servos, not a good idea. Flying in a straight line was okay at WOT. But the second I went to pull back it would make some very slow pull outs. I would have to slow down then pull back. I only flew it like that twice then swapped out servos. Going that fast with those standard servos is not a good combo. It would simply lay them down at WOT.

After I put in the Hitecs I can stay WOT all day long. I can take it as high as I want come diving down and pop the stick down real quick and it bounces off 90 degree in other direction. They work very good and for price it is worth it. They out out like 106 oz I think, although not that fastest servos the do the job.

As for the covering I used Ultracoat and Monocoat. I the Ultracoat works out great and had no problems. It usually dings the covering but not puncher as easily as Monocoat. You can just put heat gun to it later at home and it is okay. I used monocoat and had a section rip off before on my wingtip . Later I found I had very small pin holes that I overlooked before flight. Not saying Monocoat wont work but I had better luck with Ultra.

Good Luck and keep us Posted!