Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Viper or Whiplash?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Viper or Whiplash?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 05:40 AM
essixx
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viper or Whiplash?

Hi All,
I have been given some GREAT advice here in the past, so I'm asking for your advice again. I would like to try the SPEED side of the hobby. This last summer was my first year flying. I started with the Sig LT 40, then the Hobbico Avistar, a stick type plane that was hanging on the ceiling at my LHS called an EASY SPORT 60 (I think), next was recommended a SIG Somethin Extra (What a blast this plane is with a Magnum 52 2-stroke!!) And recently have tried my hand at informal combat with a Wasp type plane ( B- class). I have just finished building the Tufflight predator and hope to fly it for the first time today. I feel very comfortable flying these planes, excluding the Predator since I have yet to fly it.
So what do you suggest, a Viper or a Whiplash? Or even another type of ARF that is capable of Extreme Speed with a Jett SJ-50? Should I try another combo or even another type of plane considering I have only been flying for one season?
Thank you for any advice or suggestions you have!
Old 12-21-2003, 09:07 AM
Q-Ball
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Viper or Whiplash?

I have had and still have three 40 size Shrikes with variouis engines.Fun to fly,but I like something with wheels.
Got my Viper 500 three weeks ago and put it above all the rest.I was reluctant to fly it but once I knew it would fly had no problem with it at all.Handles like a dream,flies on a rail and just a joy to spend time with.Probably get another. I only have a TT 46 Pro and it's a mover.A jet would be hairy but hey,that's what it's all about.

Not really into the flying wings like the Shrikes and Diamond Dust.That's why I decided to go with the Viper.Looks like an airplane with wheels.

The Viper does have a weak spot just in front of the tail.I dead sticked and found out but took it home and CA'd it with some cloth,went back to the field and it flies just like it did before.GREAT!!!

I don't think you'll be disappointed at all

Good luck
Walt
Old 12-21-2003, 09:10 AM
Q-Ball

Forgot.
Be sure if you get a Viper to stuff the largest tank in it you can fit in.Even with the 46,flite times are short.I'm running a six ounce and that ain't big enough but it's the largest that I could cram in it.

Later
Walt
Old 12-21-2003, 11:49 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

OK- I have not had a Viper but I can say that the quickee will be easier to fly, if nothing else, because it has wheels and you can ROG- Whereas the Whip is "released" like a brown trout- and it can get hairy...

It sounds like you have progressed very well and you may be able to fly both just fine but the Viper will be easier to fly- IMHO

What is a Tufflight Predator? Is that the combat thing I see advertised on here occas.? In other words have you flown anything fast yet?

If not, I would do what Q-Ball is doing and put a std. 46 in your Viper (TT Pro-46 w/Tower muffler) is cheap and you can fly it until you get used to the speed, get it all trimmed out and balanced- then swap the SJ-50 (Same mounting holes ) and let her rip-

The Whip with a Jett-50 is one of the most ballistic prop-planes on the planet.... Great product and great service, not great 1st speed plane.

Have fun and keep us posted- happy holidays!
james
Old 12-21-2003, 04:25 PM
Q-Ball

Razor is right all the way and that's why I put the 46 on it and so very glad I did. Now I'm just wondering whether to even swap engines.The 46 flies it perfect and the Jet is ready to join the F-20 for its home.

Took the Viper out again this morning and gosh what a flying surprise.I never expected this type plane to fly on a rail but I can promise you,Mine does.Lands like a dream to.I guess you can tell I'm impressed.

Don't be surprised if you get the Viper that the covering on the center section of the wing has bubbles in it.Some do and it won't iron back down due to the double layer of glass on the center section.Just letting you know.

Have fun in whatever you decide.Life is short.

Walt
Old 12-21-2003, 04:27 PM
Q-Ball

Razor is right all the way and that's why I put the 46 on it and so very glad I did. Now I'm just wondering whether to even swap engines.The 46 flies it perfect and the Jet is ready to join the F-20 for its home.

Took the Viper out again this morning and gosh what a flying surprise.I never expected this type plane to fly on a rail but I can promise you,Mine does.Lands like a dream to.I guess you can tell I'm impressed.

Don't be surprised if you get the Viper that the covering on the center section of the wing has bubbles in it.Some do and it won't iron back down due to the double layer of glass on the center section.Just letting you know.

Have fun in whatever you decide.Life is short.

Walt
Old 12-21-2003, 06:37 PM
dean320
My Feedback: (5)

essixx - I just made a similar decision myself. I really wanted a Whilpash, and Rick from ACM was very helpful with my questions. But I decided on a Viper due to my limited flying experience. I have flown 3 planes over 3 years and our club instructor said I had good control and flew pretty smooth. My feeling was that I could fly a Whiplash, but having never flown a delta wing or a high speed plane, I figured I better learn one at a time. So I went with a Viper, oh yeah-it is getting a Jett 50, so I am guessing it will hit 160-170. Once I have mastered this, then I will get the Whiplash. Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:17 PM
Q-Ball

Default Dean

Glad all is well.You'll love it..
How did you come out with Direct Connections?? Did they give you any hassle?? I was really surprised that they would take it back.Don't know what you had done with it as far as putting it together but was surprised. I call that "good" business and Chuck has always been very helpful.

Good luck and get ready. That Jet in that Viper will be nuthin' but a blur.Check and see if I'm rite....LOL [:-]

Have a Ball
Walt
Old 12-21-2003, 08:27 PM
dean320
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Dean

Q-Ball - I simply stated that the plane was not as ARC as they advertise. But, I do not think it is completely their fault. During my conversation with Chuck, I got the impression the manufacturer that actually produced the plane did not hold up their end. Overall it was a good kit, but that whole bottom was just ridiculous. Chuck agreed the instructions were lacking. I hated to send it back, but I really had a lot of concerns about having a compelted plane that I was happy with. Chuck was great to deal with though. The Viper looks pretty good. Couple items though. I am waiting on some inctructions from Don who is usually in the pylon forum. He has some directions on what needs fixed on the Viper. I also sent my backplate to Jett so they can send me screws that will be the correct length to mount this engine to the backplate. Dub mentioned he was going to contact Great Planes to ensure they tell people to get the right screws since the wrong ones could cause a lot of safety problems. I am pretty exiced about getting this plane completed. The only problem then though is waiting through the Ohio winter to be abel to fly it. Luckily, I have a could other planes to work on. I have a Funtana on the way and a Adrian Page 60 size Gee Bee. The Gee Bee is actually a kit, but Adrian put one together to test fit the kit parts and that is the one I bought. What could be better that getting a kit that the designer actually assembled. Lots to keep my busy until I can fly again. I really hate winter (not just because I cannot fly, I hate being cold), I would love to live somewhere warmer. I will definately let you know how the Viper ends up. Have a great holiday....Dean
Old 12-21-2003, 10:21 PM
essixx

Default RE: Dean

Razor-RCU,
The Tufflight predator is an EPP foam flying wing. Its advertised for combat flying. I did get to fly it today!! This thing is a blast to fly!!! I bought it with the intention of flying informal combat with. I'm not so sure now. Its so much fun to fly that I hate to take the chance of destroying it in a mid-air with my friends. It's not a speed machine, but with a Magnum .28 and a 9x4 prop it scoots.
Q-Ball, Thanks for sharing your experience with your Viper and TT .46 I do have a Magnum .52 2-stroke that needs a home. Does anyone have any comments about that engine on a Viper?
Also, I did talk to Jett Engineering on the phone about what to expect with the Viper and SJ-50 combination. I was told I could expect around 160 to 170 MPH with a 9x8 prop. How is that possible? The SJ- 50 is advertised at 17000 RPM with a 10x6 prop. I have a couple of prop thrust calculating programs, and to get those kind of speeds you have to be turning around 22000 RPM.
Do they really unload that much in the air? I realize these programs are just a simulation of the real world, but I have entered in numbers that I have read on RCU that claim to be clocked with a radar gun and they are VERY close.
Thank you all for your responses to my question! I believe I will purchase the Viper and save the Whiplash until I have more experience.
Old 12-21-2003, 11:12 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: essixx

Hi All,
So what do you suggest, a Viper or a Whiplash? Or even another type of ARF that is capable of Extreme Speed with a Jett SJ-50? Should I try another combo or even another type of plane considering I have only been flying for one season?
Thank you for any advice or suggestions you have!
The Viper has wheels so you wont need a buddy to hand launch, when you feel the need for speed. I had a Scat Cat years ago, great plane and a goog introduction to bank and yank flying! Now I have a Whiplash Extreme with Jett FIRE .50 The whip is the fastest prop plane I have flown. to date. TURN and BURN

So it is really a matter of how much do you have to spend and have you flown belly landers.
AND the delta type has a very different look in the air than a conventional plane

it is your call
Old 12-22-2003, 12:30 AM
Q-Ball

Dean,
You and Chuck are rite about the F.Actually they didn't even have to include instructions.The stuff that was explained is known by anyone that has built even two kits.The hard,headache stuff was left out.I kinda wish I had gotten another Patriot.That's a smooth kit and I flew it this morning and it really moves.It has a MVVS 49 with pipe.ONe of the easiest kits I've put together.I left the air ducts off the side.

I was lucky and the backplate screws on the 46 were long enough.Or they are long enough so far...LOL...I probably have 10 flights on it and will go out again in the morning if it's not too windy. Ask Don about the weakness just in front of the tail feathers.Where mine broke was on the inclosed part of the fuse,so you can't really get in there and build up any strength.The way it broke left a small hole at the break. It was just big enough I could scoot some glass cloth and pour CA in there.Seems to have worked. A couple of guys at the club warned me also of the skinny wheels.There's broke after a couple of flights.But that's understandable if you don't come in straight.They can't take too much twisting.Mine are ok so far.

Put skis on your planes.LOL.It doesn't snow down here in Texas but I can freeze to death when it's 50 degrees.A year at the North Pole cured me of ever liking cold weather.It ain't good for nuthin'. Give me 98 any day.

Funtana...Great flier. One in the club does about anything.

Magnum 52 should work well on the Viper.Probably better than my 46 Pro.

I don't know what prop your going to run on your Jet,but I ran mine with a 9X9 and it had to be in the mid to high 20's.It was scary.I'm running 9X9's on the MVVS and the 46 Pro.

I've had the Shrikes and they are fun but I don't like hand launching anything with a fast engine. I hand launched one with the slower engine but I had the MVVS 49 on one and it was so quick that when you let it go there was no correction or reaction time.Didn't like that and had to get people to throw it for me.

I better shut up.

Yall all take care and have a happy and safe holiday.It's warm down here in Texas if yall want to come down.You can fly all day......

Have fun
Walt
Old 12-24-2003, 07:48 PM
essixx

Well, I changed my mind. I ordered the Whiplash and a Jett FIRE 50 with tuned pipe. I figure if I plant it and destroy the plane, the radio and engine should still be O.K (I hope!!).
I have done some searching on the forum for prop choices, but the post are kind of old. It seems a 8.75x9 was popular then. Has that changed? I believe I will need more thrust and less speed for my first flights, would the 8.75x9 give that result. Also, Are sport props to be avoided with the high RPM's that a Jett FIRE produces? Any other advice to make this a successful experience?
Thank you all again for your responses, but I just couldn't resist the lure of 200mph and the Whiplash looks so COOL!!
Old 12-24-2003, 08:06 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

A Jett FIRE .50 in stock trim isn't going to kill sport props... unless you get Dub Jett to tune it for 27K rpm or something like that...

But still, I suggest you stick to the "pylon" props... they just seem to work better at high rpm and speed compared to sport props... dunno why that is...
Old 12-24-2003, 09:15 PM
Razor-RCU

Wow good choice! I flew my first Whip with a YS-45 and 10x7 for "less speed" on the first flight.... It was still blistering fast as far as I could tell- Fastest thing I have flown... It went in on flight #1 (45 degrees 3/4 throttle-) and my YS-45 was DESTROYED! If you bury the Jett it will most likely take some damage- (I would still do it anyways...) If I planned on crashing I would not go to the field!

To keep the speed down I would go MELLOW compared to the 8.257x9 you mentioned- maybe start with a 9.5x6 APC? (Other smarter folks will likely chime in-)

Whip #2 is on the board and it gets a K&B 7.5 DF engine and 9x7 per Mr. Esten Spears

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 12-25-2003, 02:13 AM
essixx

Wow, Razor,
Sorry to hear about your Whip! If you don't mind, tell me what happened. Did it just get away from you or was there a problem with the set-up. I'm curious, I would like to avoid the same thing happening to me!! I hope all goes well with your second Whiplash!!
Old 12-25-2003, 09:23 AM
Crazy4Flight

Well, I changed my mind. I ordered the Whiplash and a Jett FIRE 50 with tuned pipe. I figure if I plant it and destroy the plane, the radio and engine should still be O.K (I hope!!).........Thank you all again for your responses, but I just couldn't resist the lure of 200mph and the Whiplash looks so COOL!!
Check with Dub Jett on larger dia props to use (9x8 10x7.5) also the quiet pipe over the Rat pipe will limit top speed till you are ready to max it out.

SERVOS: 80 oz metal gear !!!

Bob
Old 12-25-2003, 11:17 AM
Razor-RCU

Essixx: Good question! My guess would be interference or vibration "noise" of the RX- (I hate to use excuses but it wasn't me--) From level flight it rolled 45 degrees slowly and went in @ 45 deg. angle-[X(]

I just got it trimmed out at 3/4 throttle when this happened- maybe 1 1/2 minute flight/life! Remember I was running the YS which is an awesome sport engine but nothing compared to Jett, Nelson, or DF engines...

I had a plastic spinner on there (big no-no) that shattered on launch but the flight was uneventful other than that....

Good luck!
james
Old 12-25-2003, 03:56 PM
essixx

Can you avoid the "noise" to the receiver by wrapping it well in foam? Would a high-end receiver be less prone to that problem. That had to be awful, seeing your new plane just roll like that and you can't do a thing about it. I know the feeling. It happened with my first Somethin Extra. On its fourth flight I put it in a dive. I couldn't pull it out. Made a terrible sound when it hit! When I found it two weeks later (Crashed in a corn field) the nylon for the elevator push rod had flexed. When building the plane, I didn't have the nylon part far enough inside the fuse tube to give it support. Learned my lesson, only ALL metal control rods for all my planes.
Old 12-26-2003, 09:19 AM
ewspears
My Feedback: (12)

Razor,
The 9X7 suggestion was just for initial flights till you get everything working good. For max speed use a Thin Blade Pylon Prop like 8.5X8.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:38 AM
essixx

Hi All. Wanted to give an update to my Whiplash. My good friend Dan painted it and helped me install the components. He is VERY meticulous about his planes and he spent alot of time with me on my Whip. I also purchased the launcher from ACM. In my opinion Dan is the best pilot at our field, so I asked him to fly it first to trim it out. He was more than willing to to do that!! While it was in his shop many people saw it and asked about it. Of course they wanted to know when we flew it so they could watch. I bet we had 40 people at the field with lawn chairs and cameras! It was a great day for flying, 65 deg. and a little wind. We started the SJ-50 and sent the Whiplash on its way!! It took off the launcher good and did a small roll to the left. After it picked up some speed it straightened out and climbed FAST. Dan flew it about 5 passes around our field when it ran out of fuel. It was over a corn field across the road about 300 yards. We thought for sure it was going to land in the ditch. Then we saw the shadow on the road and the plane was still moving VERY fast!! Dan landed it about 40 feet from us. He was shaking. You could tell it stressed him some. I was too scared to fly it!! I knew it would be fast but I had know idea it would go THAT fast!! After Dan calmed down by flying his combat wasp, I asked if he would fly again. He was reluctant, but knew I wanted to see it fly again. Another great launch and this time you could see he was more confident. He landed again almost in the same spot. Then he was pumped. Dan wanted to put the speed prop on it. We had test flown it with a APC 9x7 to keep the speed down. We changed it to the 8.75x9 APC that Dubb Jett recommended. What a difference that made!! The Whiplash looked like a rocket!! The flight went great until the landing. Dan underestimated the speed, it looked like 100mph when it landed. Slide on the grass about 25 yards and went into the bean field. Dirt flew everywhere!! When we got to it there was no damage at all, just dirty. Very tough plane! I flew it the next day, after I purchased an APC 10x5 prop. All went well. I really like this plane. I plan to fly it for awhile with the 10x5 prop, until I feel comfortable. I know if I crash it I will definitetly get another!!!
Old 04-08-2004, 03:03 PM
Crazy4Flight

Hi All. Wanted to give an update to my Whiplash. .........Very tough plane! I flew it the next day, after I purchased an APC 10x5 prop. All went well. I really like this plane. I plan to fly it for awhile with the 10x5 prop, until I feel comfortable. I know if I crash it I will definitetly get another!!!
YOUR HOOKED!!!! Now just get plenty of stick time on that 10x5. The whipX will fly slow just add a bit of power thru the turns. Time now to learn what it will do and when your are ready step up a notch in props and speed. stay ahead of your plane in thought, or it will fly you. Soon you will be push 180 or more!!

Blues skys, Bob E.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:27 AM
essixx

Thanks Bob, for the encouragement. I have noticed in the turns , if I bank too hard it wants to loose altitude. You are right, I am hooked!!