Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

First Flights on a S&D Whiplash

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

First Flights on a S&D Whiplash

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 08:46 PM
f15hoss
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Flights on a S&D Whiplash

FLew my S&D Whip for the first time today...here is the report that I sent to Rick:

Rick,
Just returned from test flying Whip #1...Jett Sport 40 w/10x6 APC Omega 15%. Temp: 31F Wind chill: 18F. Wind chill behind the prop: -200F...hard on the fingers!

First flight: 2 1/2 minutes. 15,200 RPM on ground. Took just a touch of up and right trim. Engine sagged, and wouldn't accept throttle...quit after throttle down in a big split- s. Not the best glider in the world, but OK. Broke prop. Used about 1/2 tank of fuel.

Second flight: 4 mins. 15,800 RPM on ground. After feeling it out at 1/2 throttle, did 4 full throttle passes...2 up high and 2 at about 15' AGL. Club member who races pylon estimated speed at 160 (I estimated the speed as "Gosh, that thing is really hauling!!") Flew a couple of laps of the field at <1/3 throttle...flies nice even when slowed down. Real nice landing with the engine shut down on final. Prop OK.

Both flights: Launcher used slight 2-hand underhand launch with no "pull to the left" problem. Flew up to almost full throttle on high rates...started getting a little sensitive. Went to low and it tracked beautifully. Will do a couple more days on the Sport Jett 40 then switch to the Quickee Jett 40. Want to try this one on a 9x7 and 9x8 prop and see it I can get the engine up into the high 16K's.

Overall impression: Very stable and fast. Does beautiful BIG immelman and split-s turnarounds. It does eat up the sky when wide open. Launches easily. Looks wicked coming by looking at the wingtip-on silouette...fins and a cylinder with a tuned muffler. What more could you ask for? This is a winner! When I explaned that Project 200 (MPH) would use two airframes and that this was the first was just a test bed for my flying, I immediately had an offer to buy it when I'm finished with it.

Rick, thanks for a great product and the great support to go with it! Add me to the list of happy Whip owners/flyers!!

I hope to get some more time on it this weekend, then the QJ 40 goes on. Airframe #2 is reserved for an OS 46 VRDF...this one should hit 200.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28621.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	85362   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79506.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	85363