Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Magnum Maiden

Old 01-25-2004, 11:51 PM
AirGar
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Magnum Maiden

Ok, I know this may be a little late, as the new (changed?) Mag's are on their way from China....BUT, I had my maiden flight today with one I bought right here on RCU and it was a flight to go down in the record book.

Holy friggin' moly, is this thing FAST!! I thought my F3D was fast.....there is NO comparison!! What the hell are they doing to the "new" ones???

I modified mine with the help of some of the threads here, but there's no thread that can prepare you for the all out speed you'll experience with these sky rockets.

Looking forward to the next flight.....only lower.....

Gary
Old 01-26-2004, 04:11 PM
Strykaas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Magnum Maiden

Gary,

I modified mine with the help of some of the threads here

What are the basic and most important mods you've implemented ?

thx
Old 01-26-2004, 07:52 PM
Q-Ball
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gary,
Did you get someone to throw it off for the first flight.Not knowing what trimming is needed seems like it would be a big gamble.
When I was into the Shrikes with the quick engines,it just left my hand so quick that I didn't have time to get my hand back to the radio.Just a little bit of off trim, things could be over in a split second.Throw/Bang!!!! That fast.
I bet yours was doing over 200mph,rite??
I've heard that these things are like you said. A sky rocket!!! I just never had b--ls that big to hand launch a speedster.I'm working with another Shrike rite now with a little slower engine to see if I can do it and things end up in once piece.

Thanx for sharing and give us some pro's and con's after a few flights.I've thought about one of those for quiet some time.

Happy flying
Walt
Old 01-27-2004, 12:38 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[sm=thumbup.gif] Guys....I was there for the maiden, and it was impressive.
I'll let Gary tell all about it, but them lil' babys are small and fast....[X(]

Dave.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:01 PM
AirGar

First of all, I have to THANK my good Buddy FlyBoy Dave for the time he spent dialing in the West 50. I tell ya guys, he's got that "touch"! Thanks Buddy!!

I started out with the McCoy 9 DF plug, and that went to CRAP after the first tank. I then put in an OS #8, and it seemed to like that one.

Actually, I started out with a Thunderbolt plug, and couldn't get it to stay running, so then switched to the McCoy.

I'm swingin' an APC 9x7 for the first couple gallons, and then may experiment with the 8x8 and re-tune. Motor was tach'ed at 18,000+ on the ground running RICH! To be honest though, this thing is plenty fast with the 9x7, and don't know how much more I would gain in speed. Where do ya draw the line? There is NOTHING that's quicker where we fly, and nobody woud be able to tell with the naked eye if I got another 10 mph. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Shrike,

The first pic is the TE of the wing showing the block support added to strengthen where the wing bolts go through. I also changed to 1/4 20 nylon bolts as others said the originals had backed out.

Pic 2 is showing the gear I installed. I did not want to "toss" this, so opted for gear. The wheels are the same as what came with my F3D (Kangke). Small, light, and narrow. I wish I could of used a smaller gage wire here (did not have any in the "pile"), as drilling out the hub separated the halves. Still works, however.

Pic 3 (sorry, kinda dark) is showing the triangle stock I added for support, under the stab. I did this due to the stab being in 2 pieces, and CA'ed together. They just clear the linkage exit holes, and were painted black.

The other mod was to the way the elevator linkage is assembled at the servo. This was a joke for a plane this fast. I basically used the same set up, but added a plate to the front, on the gear hold down strap, thats used where the "Y" is. I also used longer screws in the ni-rod, and lock-tite'ed them in.

A couple other quick notes:

I'm using a standard switch, with wing saddle tape as a "cushion/gasket", even though the vibration seems minimal.

Throws are about 3/8" on the ailerons, and 5/8" on the elevator. I'm guessing here, but set it up with MAX throw, and set the recomended throw on "low rates". I flew it on high rates. When landing, I came in with a couple clicks throttle, and then shut it down when about 2-3' off the ground. I should of let in land a wee bit hot, as it dropped quick when shut down. Good thing I had "MAX" throw! lol

All control surfaces (hinge lines) have been sealed.

Standard 600Mah 4.8v pack tucked back as far as it would go, and still had to add about 2 sticks of lead in the elevator servo area. (behind TE of wing) Balance was at 135mm, even though they state 120-130mm. This can't be right. I'll probably move it back a skosh more too. I hate adding weight to this...

Oh, take off was at about 3/4 throttle (Dave held it for me as I run it up) and it took off fine. I did need to add 2-3 clicks right aileron, and 3-4 clicks "up" on the elevator.

Overall, a real rush.....and will definately fill your "need for speed" desires!

Gary

edit> I forgot to upload the pics....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47969.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	94823   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40427.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	94824   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze87003.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	94825  
Old 01-27-2004, 12:41 PM
Cactus.

you got wheels and you think it's quick.... sigh[:-]
Old 01-27-2004, 12:54 PM
wilkigmc

Mines on a West 50, turning an APC 8x9, with no wheels. Now that's quick!! Also flown it on a JETT 50.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:26 PM
JIMBO D

Airgar, their awesome aren't they. I fly my Rossi 53 powered one on a 9x9 apc. The 9 inch props seem to give them real quick acceleration from launch and monster pull in the climb. Maybe with the drag of the wheels your best off sticking with that prop anyway.

Have fun!
Jim
Old 01-27-2004, 03:30 PM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

wilkigmc,
Just curious, I wonder how the West 50 compares to the Jett 50 (speed-wise in these plane). Whats your opinion??
Old 01-27-2004, 03:53 PM
AirGar

ORIGINAL: JIMBO D

Airgar, their awesome aren't they. I fly my Rossi 53 powered one on a 9x9 apc. The 9 inch props seem to give them real quick acceleration from launch and monster pull in the climb. Maybe with the drag of the wheels your best off sticking with that prop anyway.

Have fun!
Jim
Wow, actual support, rather than being criticized for not squeezing every last ounce of speed out of this pint size dart....

Thanks Jim, I appreciate that.

I should of known some would comment on the wheels...

The way I look at it is this..... IF I wanted a 200+ MPH plane, I'd buy a Turbine powered Viper. They're a helluva lot bigger, which would help you (me) see it! The Magnum is friggin' TINY....period! I don't have too much problem seeing this, but there are times in the turns you had better know how you entered it, because it does disappear....at least for me. And like I said, I am not a fan of hand tossed planes, and there should be no need to say it, but I will anyway, the plane is simply too small for retracts.

I love going fast, BUT....I'd rather go 175 MPH many times, than 200 MPH only once.

And yes....they are awesome!

Gary
Old 01-27-2004, 04:50 PM
Strykaas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thx Gary for the details ;-)
Old 01-27-2004, 05:31 PM
Cactus.

i want a Sportum so dont worry about it thats a 36 engine and retracts hopefully with i'll have to fly the thing rather than point and squirt.
if your engine can do it the 8x9 seems the best on the West 50
as for West vs Jett, i think the Jett has had more tuned into it, the West is only really tuned to be a fast stock engine, although a few £ in the right direction and you can get a little extra, you swap the warrentty for it tho
Old 01-27-2004, 07:29 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, Gary only flew it once for a shake-down run, and it was plenty
quick. There's still a couple thou. RPM left in the tune....I didn't have
it wound anywhere near tight. I was real lean on the low end...I opened
it about a full turn. The transition was as quick as a wink....there was no
hesitation at all. We only had 3 tanks through it on the ground....and as
soon as I saw bubbles, I shut the engine down so It wouldn't lean at all.

After the flight, we walked out to the plane and shut off the reciever. I
checked the temperature of the motor. I then astounded the fellas by
picking up the plane barehanded by the cylinder fins....and carried it back
to the pits. It was a bit warm....but not hot enough that I couldn't hang
on to it.

So, all in all....it was good....it ate a couple plugs, but I didn't care....

....they weren't mine !!
Old 01-28-2004, 04:21 PM
wilkigmc

Speed wise in a straight line theres nothing to choose between the West and the Jett in a Magnum, but the Jett did seem to pull very slightly better in the climb. The only reason I stayed with the West was because the Jett wasn't mine, just an experiment while my West was being reconditioned.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:06 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Sure the Maggers is tiny, and it gets even smaller when you're doing those large swooping maneuvers...

For me that's half the fun... it just gets my blood pumping...

20-30 feet off the deck, flying large circles or figure 8's... I love it... then come by for a low pass at full speed just a few feet off the deck... to wake up the oldies at the field... even better... They are getting used to it by now, but I still hear the odd "ooh", "aah" or "wow" when I come by... lol

Gar, let us know how the "geared" Magnum performs on an 8x8 when you try it. I'm curious about that.
But beware on take off... the West still outpulls gravity on an 8x8, but only by so much... that 9x7 should make take offs a breeze...

I just wish it would stop raining and snowing so I could get out there a little more often...
Old 01-29-2004, 11:00 AM
AirGar

RudeBoy,

Ahhh yes....the low high speed pass.....ya gotta luv'em!

Do you know where your CG is? Like I said before, I have mine at about 135mm and think I could go back another 4-5mm. This could help this from "falling out of the sky" when the motor is cut, and aid when landing.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Gary

Hey Shrike, I forgot to mention....when I modified the "gear strap" at the elevator servo, I also used 4/40 rod, and a "gold" clevis. The threads were then CA'ed.

Philly,

What is the "Sportum"? Do you have a pic or link? I'm assuming this is produced there in the UK?
Old 01-29-2004, 01:21 PM
Cactus.

move the CofG back by 10mm from reccomended to help with gliding, the elevators should also have "mental" rates selected for landing

no the Sportum is just what i'd make from a Magnum wing and tail set, make it look like a Hawk jet or something, use just a 36 engine and fit retracts. i want a propper looking sport jet, Sportum. I don't think Weston would make something like that, they arnt interested in "standard, normal, dull" planes
Old 01-29-2004, 07:40 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I've currently got my CofG set at 140mm (if I remember correctly, it's been a while since I tinkered with the setup).

This greatly improves elevator response without the engine running, but it still glides pretty much like a brick... gotta keep the speed up, or else!

I haven't tried anything further than 140mm, but I get the impression a few mm further backwards would still improve things without getting finnicky.

Will have to try to make sure... but like I said, the weather is just awful over here...

Oh yes, a little piece of advice: DO NOT try to land a Magnum on a snow covered field...[sm=bananahead.gif] It takes a while to come to a stop... hehe... mine ended up in the ditch besides the field... no damage though (I'm still amazed about how tough this thing is)