Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Official Whiplash Tech Site

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Official Whiplash Tech Site

Old 06-16-2002, 02:50 PM
RC_Junky
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Official Whiplash Tech Site

MVVS .40 for power.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	14558_511.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	8539  
Old 06-16-2002, 02:52 PM
RC_Junky

Will post my thoughts after flying.

Name:	14559_511.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	8540  
Old 06-16-2002, 03:30 PM
BAGOSTIX
My Feedback: (178)

Default decals

Will you should have had a set of decals in the box, if you didnt get any, I'll mail some out to you, thanks for the review on the kit and CS... glad you like it, fly the poo poo out of it...
Old 06-16-2002, 03:37 PM
RC_Junky

Sorry, no decals in box. Please send. Thanks.
Old 06-16-2002, 03:38 PM
BAGOSTIX

Default ...

will do first thing monday a.m.
Old 06-16-2002, 04:01 PM
JSF-TC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 134 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Mount Repair

Rick,

Thanks for the info, I should be able to fix the engine mount now without sending it back. Thanks for the offer though. Excellent customer service!!

I never had any decals in my box either.

Paul (JSFTC)
Old 06-16-2002, 04:09 PM
BAGOSTIX

Default graphics

ok I'll send you a set too.. the urethane mount is very strong, but can wollow out with excessive vibration.
Old 06-16-2002, 04:37 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Originally posted by RC_Junky
MVVS .40 for power.

Hey RC Junky, Nice setup, that thing will really boogie, let us know.
Old 06-16-2002, 05:33 PM
BAGOSTIX

Default whiplash CG

the CG for the whiplash is 2.0" to 2.5" behind the front edge of the Receiver / battery compartment cover.

Balance the whiplash by sliding the engine forward or backwards, weight can be added but its not advisable, the lighter the better.

also, dual rates are not a bad idea, the faster you go, the less control surface throw will be needed.

each whiplash will be a little different depending on engine, overall setup, etc. so use the factory settings as a guide, you may have to add or reduce throws depending on your setup.

I now have the instruction manual in my PC files, if anyone needs a copy, please e mail me direct..
Old 06-17-2002, 11:58 PM
BAGOSTIX

Default manual 1

whiplash manual on the following pages

Name:	14743_1023.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	8541  
Old 06-18-2002, 12:14 AM
BAGOSTIX

Default #2

Name:	14744_1023.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	8542  
Old 06-18-2002, 12:17 AM
BAGOSTIX

Default #3

Name:	14747_1023.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	8543  
Old 06-18-2002, 12:18 AM
BAGOSTIX

Default #4

Name:	14748_1023.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	8544  
Old 06-18-2002, 12:19 AM
BAGOSTIX

Default #5

Name:	14749_1023.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	8545  
Old 06-26-2002, 07:21 AM
RC_Junky

Default Whiplash with Futuba 8UAF Radio Questions

I have about half a dozen flights on my Whiplash, the plane is very fast. I seem to be having some control problems in the turns. I feel that it is due to an improperly programmed radio. Problem is can't seem to get control throws low enough (for the really high speed runs), or adjusted dead bang where I want them. Getting more down movement than up, control surfaces stop moving before sticks are maxed out, and when sticks are maxed on elevator can't get very much aileron movement. The instructions in the manual arn't the best when it comes to elevon programming so I feel I'm just not doing something right or doing it all wrong. Have zeroed out programming and just started over several times with a little different result each time. I have Hitec 5645 digitals with a Futuba FP-R127DF receiver. In need of help from someone that understands elevon programming on the Futuba Super 8 and this model, that requires such small (approx. 5/16") control throws. Thanks.
Old 06-26-2002, 10:54 AM
MMallory

RC Junky,

Try to fix the problem mechanically first. Use the closest hole to the middle of your servos and the furthest from your control surfacr to limit travel. Do the reverse to increase travel. Try posting to the radio forum for help with this radio.

Mark M.
Old 07-06-2002, 08:11 PM
dmccoach
My Feedback: (4)

Default Whiplash CG?

Question:

the directions state that the CG should be "between 2- 2.5" back from the leading edge of the Receiver/Battery Compartment..."

My questions is: From the "opening" of the compartment, or back from the "lip"of the larger (outside depression) opening of the compartment within which the cover is seated?

Thanks... Dan

EDIT: OOPs... looks like the instructions are clear -- The Compart Cover which would indicate the front compartment "lip"
Old 07-06-2002, 08:46 PM
BAGOSTIX

Default : 0 oops

I like this kind of reply, that was the easiest one for me yet
Old 07-06-2002, 09:04 PM
JPOFL
My Feedback: (36)

Default Were to buy the Wiplash

A friend of mine has one and I would like to buy one.Could you tell me how and were to get one. Thanks JPOFL \
Paul Hopkins email [email protected]
Old 07-06-2002, 09:22 PM
BAGOSTIX

Default whiplash

We have reached the end of our first limited production run, the next run will be soon, the difference will be delivery, we will have product on the shelf ready for immediate shipment.

below is a link to our site, watch the site news section and watch for banners on RCU for announcements concerning the next production run..
Old 07-06-2002, 10:29 PM
dmccoach

Default Re: : 0 oops

Well, I wanted to get mine in the air today, but I have been stalled by an unbelieveable servo problem... Perhaps someone here can advise me.... I am using HITEC HS-5925MG Servos (117 OZS at 4.8V), metal arms, and I am using a 5 cell 800MAH pack. So here's what happened:

First, I noticed while setting it up that the servos were slightly stalled at the throw ends (I can't believe this at 117ozs!), but I also remember Rick saying not to "loosen" up the hinge lines because it is desired to have them a bit stiff, so, instead, I tuned it down to 1/4" throws, with 3/8 reserved for "dual rate"... However, the servos still seemd to be working pretty hard.

Secondly, I am using a HITEC 555RX, but these digital servos were "jittery" at center, and very noisy (high tone that particularly reverberates through the Whiplash airframe). Well, I figured let me get it dialed in and I can try another RX...

I proceeded to tune in the throw lengths, centering, etc. Measuring the throws, holding it at full aileron deflection, elevator deflection, etc... for maybe 8 or 10 minutes of tinkering to get it right (no longer than I usually take to set up servos), when, suddenly, THE HITEC SERVOS Begin to SMOKE!!! The left one was more severe, but they both broke down pretty much at the same time.

I quickly switched it off and came around to feel the servos, they were'nt too hot on the upper surface, but light blue smoke was curling out from around the base...

WOW, how could I possibly have smoked 117OZ ($90 each) servos!? I am stunned and very glad this happened in my living room and not in the air... They both are cooked and give onlypartial responses now (after cooling), and begin to smoke again after being on for any time.

So what is the issue? Are the hinges too stiff? Has anyone had a similar failure? If it was a bad servo, I would not have expected both to go at the same time -- only one would go if it were a MFG defect... I intend to call HITEC, but what has happened here? Do you guys/women loosen up the hinges, or not?

Any one with more experience than I with high torque servos...

Thanks,
Dan

p.s. no reflection on the Whiplash, it is an incredible ariplane, and I do have experience with high speed aircraft... I fly F5B, and F5D electrics (both over 100 MPH).

Originally posted by BAGOSTIX
I like this kind of reply, that was the easiest one for me yet
Old 07-06-2002, 11:55 PM
BAGOSTIX

Default hinges

The hinges would have to be defective to smoke 2 servos, we used HiTecs in one of our shop models and never had any problem other than a servo arm coming off in mid flight (not a pretty sight).. we used HS5945s and had no problems..
You should be able to easily deflect the hinge line by 1/2" or more with even a futaba S148, I would look into a potential servo defect first, call us monday morning and we'll see if we can determine if you have a hinging problem, but I can tell you it wouldnt have gotten past QC if they were too stiff..

thanks
Rick
Old 07-07-2002, 12:52 AM
dmccoach

Default Re: hinges

Thanks Rick, I will call to review the hinge, but I doubt it too... Are these digital servos supposed to "whine" loudly when on center (with no input)? I also tried an FMA RX (aside from the HITEC 555 RX) and the servos behaved the same... seemed to twitch trying to hold center too... (Just FYI, Multiplex 3030 TX) I needto find fault to explain this to HITeC, and attempt to have them replaced or my money refunded.

Thanks, Dan

The hinges would have to be defective to smoke 2 servos, we used HiTecs in one of our shop models and never had any problem other than a servo arm coming off in mid flight (not a pretty sight).. we used HS5945s and had no problems..
You should be able to easily deflect the hinge line by 1/2" or more with even a futaba S148, I would look into a potential servo defect first, call us monday morning and we'll see if we can determine if you have a hinging problem, but I can tell you it wouldnt have gotten past QC if they were too stiff..

thanks
Rick
Old 07-07-2002, 12:58 AM
BAGOSTIX

Default strain

Its been my experience that the digitals all sound like they are about to come unglued when you have any strain on them at all.. they are trying to find center continuously hence the buzzing.

I'm not too up on FMC RX, could it be a reverse polarity thing?
that would probably fry the servos, how do you know if the servos were plugged in the right way for polarity? is there a slot or something on the servo connector?
Old 07-07-2002, 01:07 AM
dmccoach

Default Re: strain

No they fried while plugged into the HITEC RX... the other RX I tried before the HITEC is an FMA as in Fred Marks... he makes a line of small RX's... Do they "wiggle" about the center more than analog servos??

Thanks, Dan

I just emailed HITEC and will cal in the morning

Its been my experience that the digitals all sound like they are about to come unglued when you have any strain on them at all.. they are trying to find center continuously hence the buzzing.

I'm not too up on FMC RX, could it be a reverse polarity thing?
that would probably fry the servos, how do you know if the servos were plugged in the right way for polarity? is there a slot or something on the servo connector?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.