Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Pushers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 08:36 PM
Kaos1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pushers?

What is the fastest pusher prop that you've seen, how fast, and who's got a picture? Been toying with tractor vs. pusher. There are pros and cons with each. Especially with props for the pushers.

Kaos1
Revver Brother #45
Old 02-15-2004, 01:45 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Default RE: Pushers?

Hmm.. Well the Balsa USA Enforcer is fast with a Byron DF OS-91... The CBM F-16N is a great looking model that would get you over 100MPH (Worst cust. service in the hobby-) but I am sure someone on here has experience with a F A S T pusher and will chime in on this post-

Hard to beat the pylon racers, deltas, and Magnums out there as tractors
Old 02-15-2004, 10:00 AM
John A

There are a couple of inherent disadvantages to a pusher.
You need long landing gear to allow the nose to rotate without dragging the prop. This means retracts are a must to keep the drag down if you want to go fast.
There is no prop blast over the control surfaces (on the scale ones. Enforcer and Force One are notable exceptions). Handling is like a DF or jet model. They are real sluggish when flown slow, and overcontrol leads to things like snaps on final if your not careful.
Tuned pipes or other such muffler installations get ugly.

As seen by every racer out there, tractors are the way to go fast. Pushers are for style, so get what looks good to you. Laddie's designs (Balsa USA) have good handling and are probably the best overall performers of the pusher class. The Enforcer is for big powerplants, so it's easier and cheaper to go fast with the Force One. The nose is kinda ugly, and can be made to look like the Enforcer with ease. They are similar in shape to the Dust's and Shrike's, but have much more character to them. Style counts
Old 02-24-2004, 12:51 AM
DanPeoples

The pro-jeti made by kavan is a small, light and fast jet like aircraft that I've had considerable success with.
Its has a very efficient airframe that allows the aircraft to fly very fast, yet it slows to a crawl on the landings.
I've really enjoyed converting these sleek little electric planes to glow using small displacement engines.
The first projeti I built is powered by an .061 norvel engine and it really screams. The two ounce fuel tank on this setup gives me over 10 minutes of full power flight.
The second projeti I'm currently finishing has a brand new norvel .25 on the back with an 8x6 pusher prop!

Here's a link if your interested http://www.hobby-lobby.com/projeti_reno.htm
Old 02-24-2004, 05:23 AM
der_steuermann
My Feedback: (2)

In addition to John A's list of pusher disadvantages there's another big barrier:

It is very difficult to find speed style pusher props with pitches exceeding 8" for engines up to 15 cc
Old 02-24-2004, 01:09 PM
DanPeoples

der_steuermann,
That's very true I've had a difficult time finding pusher props for my small engines.
I'm currently running a grish tornado 5.5x4 prop on my .061 projeti and the best prop that I can find for my .25 is the zinger 8x6.
Doesn't anyone produce a 5x5 or 7x7 pusher?[]
Maybe its good in my case, because if I get anymore pitch on my .25 jet the styrofoam airframe might disintegrate